5.0 out of 5 stars No, it wasn't Jimmy Page!, 18 Sep 2007
Alan Burridge (Poole,, Dorset. United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rumplestiltskin (Audio CD)
If you're familiar with Donovan's 'Hurdy Gurdy Man' track and the 'to-die-for' guitar playing therein, if I told you the guitarist who played on it also plays guitar on this album you'd know why it's a bit of a corker.
OK, back then I didn't know Rumplestiltskin were a bunch of session men, and we all thought, (as rumours pointed us in that direction, anyway), that Jimmy Page had descreetly been the 'Hurdy Gurdy Man' guitarist, (in those days of almost cloak-and-dagger-secrecy about such things); and now we find it was / is Clem Cattini (aka Andrew Balmain as he's known as Rumplestiltskin's guitarist).
For me, the cartoon album sleeve has always been attractive, but I don't think I saw it, or the topless chick (who must be about 60 now) in the gatefold to tempt me into buying it. I believe I heard the opening track, 'Make Me Make You,' on the radio, or maybe in some smoky blues club here in Bournemouth, (The Ritz by the Pier, or the Cave Bar beneath The Roundhouse Hotel?), and once it had rattled around my eardrums I was probably hooked and had to find the vinyl.
And for its time, 'Make me Make You' was (and still is) quite some 'heavy' track, man; and that's without me sounding too much like Neil the hippie from The Young One's, because hey, we're getting close to 60 now and we talked like that first!
And time hasn't been unkind to this Rumplestiltskin album, and it still stands proud today, and even though there are no 'bum' tracks on here and all the others are very listenable, 'Make Me Make You' is the bee's knees as far as I'm concerned. And now it's a Limited Edition of 3,000 copies in a CD sized copy of that original gatefold sleeve, so you'd better get a move on, there are only 2,999 still out there!

5.0 out of 5 stars rock on boys, 17 Feb 2014
This review is from: Rumplestiltskin (Audio CD)
This is just a.brilliant album from great session men who know how to make a fab rock album want it on lp now

5.0 out of 5 stars This is it!10stars!, 17 July 2012
Ivan rubini? (Island Hvar,Croatia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rumplestiltskin (Audio CD)
This is amazing album!Consists all top British session players!The name"Rumpelstiltskin"was idea of their and one of a most successful record producers of all time,Shel Talmy.The name of the band came from German folklore.An incredible music and I can only say about superlatives!Thanks to Repertoire for this brilliantly edition(also for Black Magician).Very recommended!

Rumplestiltskin
Rumplestiltskin by Rumplestiltskin (Audio CD - 2007)