5.0 out of 5 stars No Problems

1.0 out of 5 stars Silverline worktop jig problem
Published on 30 Aug. 2008 by P. Seidl

5.0 out of 5 stars No Problems, 10 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Silverline 633488 Worktop Jig 900mm (DIY & Tools)
I read all the reviews before buying this jig and was almost put off by the degree of negativity some people had over it's accuracy. I'm a yacht builder so accuracy is all important to me, someones life might depend on my craftsmanship. My first paid employment after leaving boatbuilding college 30yrs ago was, would you believe, kitchen fitting and I liked the money (kitchen fitting is such a rip-off!). I had the use of the companies professional routing jigs and learned how important accuracy is to get a perfect joint. I've made my own routing jigs for a variety of projects over the decades and it's not rocket science so was puzzled by what I was reading.
Only needing to make two joints I 'took a punt' and bought the Silverline cheapie as well as their own router, my own Elu and B&D routers being in use elsewhere.
I did a test run on a section of old worktop to get the feel of it all then set it up again for the real thing and have produced a perfect joint with no fuss whatsoever.
I can only surmise that the negative reports about this jig are due to incorrect understanding and subsequent use of the jig/router/guide bush.
Squareness is not an issue with a house, I've never come across a builder or plasterer who can produce perfect 90 degree corners so why worry that locating pegs aren't square with the edge or are loose in their holes? You clamp the jig to the worktop anyway don't you? The pegs are simply there to give basic location. You cut the joint to fit the units which in turn are fixed to the walls, what if you were fitting an hexagonal worktop eh??
There's nothing at all wrong with this jig, it wouldn't survive long in a professional sense but for a diy-er doing three or four joints it is perfectly adequate.
Remember, do the bulk of the cut keeping the router pressed against one side of the slot then the final cut on the opposite side (that's why they make the slot a few mill wider than the guide!) and use the same side of the guide bush every time, ie hold the router the same way. It's all on You Tube if only you'd look.........

1.0 out of 5 stars Silverline worktop jig problem, 30 Aug. 2008
P. Seidl (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Silverline 633488 Worktop Jig 900mm (DIY & Tools)
Purchased this jig recently, only to find that there are some issues with their accuracy. The two cuts don't precisely line up. Have done a few cuts to make sure and all of them come out the same. A little gap between the two pieces of worktop (about 0.5 to 1mm). Looks like some of the Silverline jigs aren't all that accurate, because I've heard that some are good and some aren't - like mine. Wouldn't perhaps recommend for precission work. Going to contact Silverline to try to get my money back. Will see how they react. Hopefully good -:)

4.0 out of 5 stars Silverline profile, 17 Aug. 2010
Linda Savill (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Silverline 633488 Worktop Jig 900mm (DIY & Tools)
Very pleased with my purchase. Instructions were not always clear but did an excellent job of my kitchen worktops. You have to watch the pictures of the profile on the instructions to make sure it is up the correct way and you also have to check and double check that the profile is tight against the stops. My kitchen tops look very professional; and I'm not.

2.0 out of 5 stars silverline 900 mm worktop jig, 9 Mar. 2009
G. mason (england) - See all my reviews
Silverline 900mm Worktop Jig

Most of the holes are to loose for the pins and one hole was so tight that the pin would not fit. Difficult to make a tight joint without a lot of messing about.

5.0 out of 5 stars Silverline Jig, 9 April 2010
G. Cork "Gordon" (N.I.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Silverline 633488 Worktop Jig 900mm (DIY & Tools)
This jig is far more accurate than their previous model. The instructions for use are better laid out and easier to understand. Great value for money.

2.0 out of 5 stars flexes to much, 7 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Silverline 633488 Worktop Jig 900mm (DIY & Tools)
i have a silverline router which is great, so i thought id buy there jig.
It flexes too much and unless you're very careful and prop it up with various bits of wood and clamps makes bad joints

1.0 out of 5 stars Looks the part but not accurate, will not work!, 12 Mar. 2010
David Maddocks (Newport, Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Silverline 633488 Worktop Jig 900mm (DIY & Tools)
Well, as always with reviews the people that leave then generally have had a problem or they work for the company that sell the item!

Before I bought this jig I read all of the reviews on Amazon relating to it and thought it can't be that bad and for £20 ish it would be worth a punt. All I can say is it looks the part but it is not accurate for joining, being at least 1mm-2mm out on the radius where the worktops join. Now reading this you might think "oh it's down to the user" well I can assure you it isn't I am a qualified engineer of many years experience, I am a steady and accurate worker taking time to ensure things work right. This jig will not join worktops accurately, believe the reviews and invest in something better.

I finally achieved a good joint but it took 3 attempts as I thought I had done something wrong and the use of a fine file to trim the male joint radius to fit the female joint properly.

Be warned, this is junk. I would return it but I nicked it with my router.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not that accurate, 17 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Silverline 633488 Worktop Jig 900mm (DIY & Tools)
My main issue with this is the locating pins, they are a loose fit in the locating holes, consequently the the jig may not be square on the worktop. Don't rely on the pins, make other measurements to ensure the jig is square on the worktop. I only discovered this when cutting a 3.8m long section of worktop, a couple of millimetres out adds up over this distance. Managed to make a second cut to rectify the mistake. The joints themselves were a decent fit and the instructions easy to follow for right and left hand joints male and female cuts. The recess cuts for underneath the worktop, where the tightening clamps fit, didn't seem to be in the right place, I just lined the jig up to where I thought the recesses should be and clamped it in place, ignoring the plastic peg location pins. Yes I would use again, but measure twice make sure its absolutely square by measuring again, dont rely on the plastic pins, then cut.

4.0 out of 5 stars as the stock instructions are very basic and don't go into the importance of the correct positioning of the router in the jig pr, 11 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Silverline 633488 Worktop Jig 900mm (DIY & Tools)
performs perfectly well but you must support the jig on both sides as it tends to bend a little under pressure if you do this you are saving upwards of £100.00 and getting a quality joint i suggest you download instructions on worktop joints for professionals. as the stock instructions are very basic and don't go into the importance of the correct positioning of the router in the jig pretty basic stuff but if you don't know the rules you won't get a good joint perfect for the DIY'er but not made for prolonged use still have mine and have done 4 kitchens with it! but then i don't intend making a living at it!

2.0 out of 5 stars Not up to the Job, 31 July 2014
This review is from: Silverline 633488 Worktop Jig 900mm (DIY & Tools)
As the saying goes you get what you pay for. The product is very well presented but for the job it has to do is quite poor and not very accurate. I found that the profiles did not match perfectly due to the flimsy nature of the jig. Perhaps I am a little fussy but I like the jobs I do to look professional when finished. I would not recommend this product perhaps spend a bit more and buy professional quality jig.

Silverline 633488 Worktop Jig 900mm