5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic
Published on 20 Dec 2007 by Maria Savva

3.0 out of 5 stars Censorship
Not a bad album, but be warned, this is a censored version. In order to get the explicit version you have to pay a few pounds more and get the "special edition". I'm not the world's biggest fan of unnecessary profanity, but I find silence in the middle of lyrics annoying.

Just be aware of this fact...
Published on 17 April 2007 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Censorship, 17 April 2007
This review is from: The Best Damn Thing (Audio CD)

Just be aware of this fact...

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic, 20 Dec 2007
This review is from: The Best Damn Thing (Audio CD)
I bought this album because I really liked the single 'When You're Gone' and I'd heard 'Girlfriend' which is really catchy. I wasn't disappointed. I have the CD on my car stereo constantly now! It's great! I especially love 'Innocence' which is a haunting ballad, and I listen to it over and over without getting bored! Fantastic!! I think all the songs are catchy - Avril just keeps getting better.

3.0 out of 5 stars Time To Grow Up, 7 Jun 2009
This review is from: The Best Damn Thing (Audio CD)
If you like the song "Girlfriend" a lot, and I mean a whole lot, then the limited edition CD+DVD of "The Best Damn Thing" from Avril Lavigne is probably for you. Out of the 17 tracks on the CD, three of them are versions of "Girlfriend", and if that isn't enough, then you will also have three video versions on the DVD. For me, this was much too much in the way of "Girlfriend". No doubt it has a catchy tune and the cheerleader like cadence to it is somewhat appealing; but the lyrics are juvenile and mean spirited. I am sure there are many who like this piece, given how much airtime it received, but for me it is only so-so. The lyrics might have been okay when Avril Lavigne was 17 and fresh on the scene, but a 22-year-old should have put high-school behind her. This leaves me with a rather mixed reaction to the song, and that carries over to the whole CD+DVD set as well.

"The Best Damn Thing" is Avril Lavigne's third album, and was released on April 17th of 2007. The opening track is the aforementioned "Girlfriend", though since it is the "Mature" version it includes some rougher language than what one sometimes hears on the radio. The second track is "I Can Do Better" and the obvious retort is that she definitely can (and fortunately does) do better, starting with the very next track. "Runaway" is where the album begins for me; it is the kind of song you want to hear from her, and it makes the listener remember how nice it was to finally hear some pop music with a rock base to it as opposed to the dance oriented offerings of so many others., "The Best Damn Thing", and "When You're Gone" are two more strong tracks which help make the opening two pieces a distant memory. This brings us to "Everything Back but You". One might think that I wouldn't like this song after bashing "Girlfriend", but I find this to be one of the songs I like the most on this album. I suppose it is because she is the person wronged and so when she lets loose with the name calling it is more acceptable, and when it comes down to it, it is a flat out hilarious lyric.

The second half of the original album opens with "Hot". It is decent, though not quite up to the level of some of the other pieces, and in particular to that of "Innocence" which follows it. The album then hits a brick wall with the horrible "I Don't Have to Try", which is easily the worst song on the album. I can appreciate that she is trying different sounds and styles, but this one just doesn't work at all. Things improve with "One of Those Girls" though it isn't as strong as the earlier pieces - it is much better than "I Don't Have to Try". "Contagious" is roughly similar in quality as "One of Those Girls". "Keep Holding On" is a decent closer for the original album, but the flow which had developed from "Runaway" through "Innocence" had already been disrupted and was not restored.

There are five bonus tracks included; the first two are "Alone" and "I Will Be", both of which are solid additions to the album, and the latter being the better of the two. Next is an acoustic version of "I Can Do Better" which is much worse than the electric version, and one has to wonder why that particular track would have been selected for an acoustic version. The final two tracks are two additional versions of "Girlfriend", the first being The submarines' Time Warp '66 mix, and the second being the Dr. Luke remix with Lil Mama, the latter of the two being the more interesting of the two.

There are two sections on the DVD, the first is a series of live tracks including the wonderful "Everything Back but You", "Girlfriend" (of course), "Hot", and "When You're Gone". The second section is the videos, which includes "Girlfriend", "When You're Gone", "Hot", and (you guessed it) "Girlfriend" - the Dr. Luke remix version with Lil Mama.

With nearly a quarter of the selections on the CD and DVD combined being variations of "Girlfriend" it is no wonder that one might have had enough of it by the time one has made it to the end. I am sure that it appeals to an audience which buys a lot of CDs, and that is no doubt why it is featured so heavily. In my opinion that is a shame, because Avril Lavigne may well have much more to offer if she is allowed to develop and grow as a songwriter and performer. There have been promising signs on all her albums, and let us hope that she moves in a new direction before she finds herself singing songs like "Girlfriend" in her 30s and 40s to a bunch of people trying to recapture their youth. This is an uneven album, with highpoints as good as anything Avril has done, and then there are some moments which make one cringe inside. All-in-all it is slightly above average, though I have to round it down to three stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Good, 26 Oct 2008
This review is from: The Best Damn Thing (Audio CD)
Amongst her many claims to fame, Avril Lavigne is probably the only person so far to have included the word 'lemincello' in one of her songs - 'I could Do Better', for those that are interested. Although slightly 'poppier' than her previous album, 'The Best Damn Thing' definitely rocks and songs such as 'Everything Back But You', 'Contagious' and the aforementioned 'I Could Do Better' give her the chance to show that there is still an edge underneath all that glittery pink stuff. Elsewhere, ballads such as 'Innocence', 'When You're Gone' and 'Keep Holding On' are heartfelt and beautifully performed, whilst the life-affirming yet bittersweet 'Runaway' really should have been a single.

This 'Deluxe Edition' also includes a DVD containing a strangely engrossing documentary following the making of the album. Avril's energy, enthusiasm and vision shines through and as well as being a genuine insight into the recording process it is funny to see how Avril has the various producers wrapped round her finger, as they fall over themselves to please her - one of them even allows her to spray him with Mace for heaven's sake!!!

All in all, a vibrant, uplifting album, although the explicit language on a couple of tracks (and throughout the DVD) might well make it unsuitable for her younger fans. Having said that, teenage girls the world over will love this album, as will a great many others, I suspect. Mind you, having just watched the DVD, wouldn't a better title for the album have been 'So, like, totally the Best Damn Thing'?!!!!! Just a thought...

5.0 out of 5 stars The same Avril, but flirty., 2 Jan 2008
This review is from: The Best Damn Thing (Audio CD)
Everything about this album screams that it is a departure from 'Let Go' and 'Under My Skin' and yet, it isn't really. At first brush the opening track - 'Girlfriend' - with its cheerleader-ish feel appears to be unlike anything on the first two albums, but in a way it could be argued that 'Sk8er Boi' on 'Let Go' and 'I Always Get What I Want' on 'Under My Skin' have the same pace, energy, and drive to them. In the same way other tracks which at first appear to be a departure can find their roots in earlier songs. This doesn't make them sound derivative though.

Avril's voice has a certain elusive texture to it which is difficult to pin down. It gives her music a certain reality or genuine-ness which conveys a sense that she is singing about things she has just felt for the first time so that they have force and impact. The sound is filled with feeling but not in a soppy or emotionally namby pamby fashion - rather in such a way as to remind you of how you felt the first time you had a certain experience.

This album is more provocative than the first two. 'Hot' in particular has a sexy feel to it and, of course, having Avril shouting that she wants to be your girlfriend is quite cute too. :) Seriously though, this is a good album with a healthy range of songs all of which have the Avril stamp on them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Avrils Back and Its Different (but not too much), 1 Dec 2007
This review is from: The Best Damn Thing (Audio CD)
I've waited a long time to review this particular album as I believe you need to listen to a record, leave it and come back to it to compare your thoughts then and now.

I can understand when some reviewers have said its just not the same - it certainly isnt and after the first two albums can seem a little odd. However, there is work of real genius here - I wont go into every track thats already been done to death in the reviews. But listen to tracks such as Innocence and Contagious - absolute spankers that could sit on her last album easily.

I'm amazed now as I was on first hearing this album ignoring Girlfriend comnpletely - I'm giving Avril 5 stars on this one. Its different in places theres no doubt! but thats a good thing. Just hearing her vocals on Innocence will just blow you away.

Cant wait for the next release.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Is The Best Damn Thing..., 14 July 2007
A. Lucas "Lobsterboy" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Best Damn Thing (Audio CD)
Girlfriend - Great lyrics and a fantastic start to the album. I promise that you will be singing along to this song within minutes. 9/10

I Can Do Better - Possibly the worst song on the album, sounds a lot like Girlfriend. However the song is still catchy and isn't one that you need to skip through. 7/10

Runaway - Reminds me a lot of the old Avril songs, great chorus and verses. 10/10

The Best Damn Thing - I love the way the lyrics just flow in this song and how Avril sings about how happy she and how her "Cinderella story scene" has come true. 10/10

When You're Gone - The most beautiful song i've heard in a long time, the lyrics are really truthful and are sung perfectly. MUST HEAR! 10/10

Everything Back But You - Good upbeat song which follows perfectly lifting the album after When You're Gone. 8/10

Hot - Hailed as one of the greatest songs on the album, I beg to differ there are much better songs on this album. However it is still brilliant :D 9/10

Innocence - Made me cry! 10/10

I Don't Have To Try - Another fantastic song that keeps the album going from strength to strength. Lyrics are a bit poor compared to other songs but excellent nonetheless. 9/10

One Of Those Girls - I love the verses on this song, really good hooks :D 9/10

Contagious - My favourite song on the album, shame it isn't longer. 10/10

Keep Holding On - This song brings a nice clean ending to the album and finishes perfectly. 9/10

2.0 out of 5 stars What happened?, 17 Feb 2011
This review is from: The Best Damn Thing (Audio CD)
I will be generous and give this a 2, as the songs do grow, but in comparison to the mature, thought provoking and just plain brilliant work Avril did on her first two albums, this feels and sounds like a CD done by a much less talented, and manufactured singer. Avril is better than this. She's been compared to Alanis Morrisette for one, and on listening to the overly upbeat but immaturely written lyrics here, such a comparison is hard to believe. I'm all for a change in direction, but this was like Avril had turned into an irritating, bratty no-name pop princess, and that's not at all what I considered her to be. A very poor third album that hopefully doesn't mean the end of the Avril I once adored.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another excellent addition to my music collection!, 23 Dec 2007
Lucy Felthouse (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Best Damn Thing (Audio CD)
I've always liked Avril Lavigne's music. Wasn't so keen on her last album, but I loved the one before it. This one is much more upbeat with lots of feel-good, sing-a-long songs, perfect for wailing along in the bedroom or the car when nobody is around!

I particularly love the songs When You're Gone, Girlfriend and Everything Back But You. This album is probably for the more mature audience given a couple of the songs have swearing in them. Nothing major though, just something parents should be aware of.

Love this one though, and it's definitely going on my iPod.

5.0 out of 5 stars Av's Back!, 19 April 2007
Mark (Newcastle, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Best Damn Thing (Audio CD)
Ok, the first two albums are better than this, but this is still a great album to listen too! I have listened to it quite a few times now since I bought it on release and it has grown on me even more. There are some songs on here that do sound different from what she has done on the previous two albums, and like one reviewer said, there is maybe a little Sum 41 sound like in one or two, but there are some big tunes on here that sound great and similar to her old stuff. When your gone, best damn thing, hot, runaway, keep holding on, innocense and everything back but you are all great songs. This album is very good and I know some people have gave it 1 and 2 out of 5 stars because shes changed her style on this album, but I feel shes only changed a little bit but the album is still decent to listen to and it is Avril Lavigne! Some people got to learn that one or two songs that are different doesn't mean its a bad album, but in my opinion there isn't a bad song on it, but there is one or two that are different from what she has done and isn't as good as the previous albums or the songs I mentioned earlier on the album, but its still a good album and there should be a few more number ones for her if she releases the songs that are stated above in this review because they are very good songs to listen to! She is a great singer and has many talents. Please be aware that there are two versions of the ablum, one that has no swearing in it, and one that allows swearing, which is this album. But this is stil a 5 out of 5 star album because like I have said, there is some very good songs on here that will grow on you too! Go buy!

The Best Damn Thing
The Best Damn Thing by Avril Lavigne (Audio CD - 2007)