1,077 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Works....
Published on 21 Nov. 2010 by Lee London

1.0 out of 5 stars Keeps hanging the connection
I bought this as I needed more ports than my 5 port Netgear 100mbs switch had. At first everything seemed fine, but after a while I started having issues streaming HD video from Amazon Prime and even from my NAS drive. Eventually unplugged this and plugged my computer directly into the modem/router - problem solved. I have gone back to my old Netgear switch and my...
Published 7 months ago by RF Kill

5.0 out of 5 stars Works...., 21 Nov. 2010
This review is from: TP-LINK TL-SG1005D 5-Port Gigabit Unmanaged Desktop Switch (Personal Computers)
Not a lot you can say about it as it just works! I plugged it in, it worked, the network is a ton faster than when i had it on a 10/100MB hub. The lights at the front are useful, ie they are off if no device is connected, orange for ports operating at 100MB (because the device on the other end of the cable is only 100MB capable) and green for full gigabit connections..Greate value for money, think i paid about £17.00

4.0 out of 5 stars TP-Link TL-SG1005D 5-Port Gigabit Switch, 26 Jun. 2013
Steven Hoare "stereohaven" (Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this to replace a 10/100 Netgear switch I use by my TV as I gradually upgrade my home network to wired Gigabit.

Delivery was swift as usual and the item was well packaged. The switch itself is very simple, just plug and play, although if you are new to this type of device don't forget that you plug the cable from your router into port 1, something the limited instructions doesn't actually mention! This of course means you actually only have 4 ports free to connect equipment to, which is fine for my needs.

Unlike the Netgear it replaces the TP-Link switch can be wall mounted which is very handy and helps me keep things behind the TV nice and tidy. As the TP-Link is pretty "cheap and cheerful" it doesn't feel as solid as the Netgear but putting it on a wall keeps it pretty safe from being bashed around.

Overall you really can't go wrong at this price, it's simple and does the job effectively. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good switch, great price., 11 Nov. 2010
I was sufficiently impressed with the ease of setup of this switch that I bought a second one. It is completely plug and play as it auto-configures any of the ports to act as the uplink port. Each port has an LED that glows green if a gigabit device is plugged in, or orange if not. This indicated that the motherboard of one of my PCs was not the version with a gigabit ethernet port despite the fact that the startup splash screen described it as a gigabit motherboard. That was fixed by adding the TP-Link Gigabit card TP-Link 32-bit Gigabit PCI Network Interface Card (TG-3269) Realtek RTL8169SC.

With two of these switches I now have two PCs, upstairs and downstairs, connected to a network media hard drive and copying files at a much higher speed. I cannot comment on the reliability and performance of this switch compared with other makes, but the price from Amazon is unbeatable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing value for a Gigabit Switch, 17 Mar. 2010
I have a PC running Windows 7 64 bit which has a Gigabit connection.

I also have a 2 Terabyte NAT drive. Using the ADSL router, I was getting slow data transfers.

Now I have connected this switch, data transfers are much much faster.

I also beleive my laptop backs up faster even though its only got a 100 Meg Ethernet port.

Everything worked first time, no problems.

My computer / laptop backup faster and can get on the web through the ADSL router as before. Brilliant bit ofkit at this price.

Mine was not like the picture, actually looks better, white, very small and discrete.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says, no fuss., 26 Dec. 2010
David Fardon "dfardon" (Barcelona, Spain) - See all my reviews
Plugged it in, connected the Ethernet cables, turned it on, it worked. Haven't thought about it since. Exactly how technology should be.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inexpensive, compact, and it just works, 28 Jan. 2013
C. Smout (UK) - See all my reviews
I read a number of helpful reviews for a number of switch units before purchasing the TP-Link unit, and I thought I'd add my thoughts.

For me, it was a toss up between this unit, and Netgear's slightly more expensive 5 port offering:
Netgear GS105 5-port Gigabit Ethernet Switch

Netgear's unit comes in a rugged metal chassis, and boasts a slightly smaller footprint... for an extra £10 - £15 over the TP-Link.

The most important issue for me was that the unit should work with the Virgin Media Superhub, to achieve gigabit ethernet connections upstairs in our shared house. After a lot of searching through reviews I found a couple of testimonies stating that it did, so knowing that I went for the cheaper TP-Link option.

And I'm glad I did.

The TP-Link 5 port switch is smaller than the images portray, meaning that the Netgear's slightly smaller footprint wasn't that big of a deal anyway. Though the chassis is plastic, it feels rugged; definitely plenty hardy enough to stand up to the minimal abuse it will receive sat on my desk. Trust me, it will literally just sit on my desk... there's simply no need to move the unit for any configuration (save add another device). It was just simple plug and play operation, with absolutely no connectivity issues.

The LED's on the front panel only light when a device is connected to that particular port, and flash to indicate traffic. EDIT I originally wrote that the LEDs were not dual colour (green for 1000mbps, orange for 100mbps), but apparently this is incorrect. Though I have not tested this it seems that the LEDs will change colour to reflect the connection speed. As all my devices seemingly have gigabit capability I was mislead into thinking the LEDs were green only.

Overall, this is a neat little box that does exactly what it's meant to with minimal fuss. It's up to you whether you want to pay extra for the metal chassis offered by other units, but at the end of the day, both achieve the same function.

Recommend this!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy with this, 25 Feb. 2013
RnA (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Very happy with this, does exactly what it says on the tin. Not sure what you can say about an ethernet switch, unless it stops working, in which case you can complain. But I cannot do that. I installed this a few weeks ago and mounted it to the wall. It is routing packets of data throughout my house and not complaining. It's not waking me up at night, for starters which is more than I can say for the kids. And it's gigabit, so it's faster than connecting things over wifi. I think the ideal way to handle network traffic in a domestic setting is to put as many devices as possible on a wired/ethernet connection (AppleTV, printers, modem/router, etc.) and save the wifi just for mobile devices like iPads and iPhones. Going back to the review of this TP-Link Unmanaged Gigabit Desktop Switch, I'd recommend it for anyone who is looking for an unmanaged gigabit desktop switch. The "desktop" part is a bit of a misnomer, as I've mounted it to the wall (it has mounting holes on the bottom), but then again TP-Link named their product "TL-SG1008D", so I'm assuming they don't have professionals in their "Product Naming" department anyways.

In short, if you need a switch with 8 ports, I recommend you get this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value up front and low running cost, 5 Oct. 2011
I have been very impressed with this unit - compact and unobtrusive it has handled my setup at home with no problems

Bedroom 2: ADSL Modem Router (100MB) -> TP Link Powerline Adapter (200MB) ->
Living Room: TP Link Powerline Adapter (200MB) -> this Switch (1000MB) -> Xbox360, Internet-enabled LCD TV, iMac

What I am most impressed with is that even though my current setup is not all gigabit I have already got a small but definitely noticeable uptick in browsing speed on my iMac (nothing else at all has changed in my setup including browser version (Chrome v14) - I supposed I would see that with any gigabit switch but at this price it's great value.

Also, one final point, the documentation states its lower power green credentials - this switch powers off the ports when not in use and adjusts the power used depending on the length of Ethernet cable in use with each port

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good product., 28 Dec. 2011
Plugged it in and it just worked. Using on a mixture of GNU linux (ubuntu) and windows home network. Transfer speeds are now faster between networked pc's than 10/100 link provided by my router, which the machines used to be plugged into . I have three machines and an ADSL modem router plugged into the switch to give the pc's access to each other and the internet. No problems so far running for 4 weeks, unit is switched on 24/7. Transfer speed on file copy shown as 47.5MB/s which allowed 3 files totalling 54GB to be copied between two pc's in 19 minutes 9 seconds or 1GB every 21 seconds. On my 100Mb network connection transfer speed was 9.5 MB/s which was 3 files totalling 54GB copied in 1 hour 35 minutes or 1GB every 1 minute 45 seconds. This was also while I was on the internet browsing which didn't effect the transfer rate. So the new switch provides transfers at 5 times the speed on my old network. So in my opinion well worth the just under £14 cost. Note all pc's already had a gigabit ethernet port to attach the gigabit switch to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it says on the tin, 8 Sept. 2012
Mr. T. F. Norton (Maidstone, UK) - See all my reviews
Want a gigabit switch that's cheap? This is just that. It works excellently. By connecting two computers with SSDs and gigabit Ethernet adapters to it, I was able to max out the 1000mbps connection, which is no mean feat. This translates to 120MB/sec data transfer rates. Gigabit Ethernet basically makes having network storage that reads and writes as if the data is stored locally inside the computer achievable now.

It's small, silent and doesn't run hot. It handles 10/100mbps Ethernet too, so if you have a mixture of devices to attach to it, this is not a problem, and what's more, data transfer rates are only limited by the two devices that are interacting in question. What I mean is: having one device connected at 100mbps doesn't throttle all devices to 100mbps. In my situation, for example, I have a NAS that has a gigabit adapter, and although most of the devices that connect to it are only on 100mbps interfaces, I've got rid of a big bandwidth limit when multiple users connect to the NAS.

Enjoy!