1,123 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Works....
Published on 21 Nov. 2010 by Lee London

2.0 out of 5 stars its ok.. but..
I have had this for about 6 months now. It really is not a gbit switch and should not claim to be. Its ok as a cheap home switch but if you need mulitple connections with sustained 1gbits it does not do the task. I would recommend the XyZEL GS1610 switch for that. (bought to replace TPLink due issues reported).
Published 18 months ago by PEN NAME

5.0 out of 5 stars Works...., 21 Nov. 2010
This review is from: TP-LINK TL-SG1005D 5-Port Gigabit Unmanaged Desktop Switch (Personal Computers)
Not a lot you can say about it as it just works! I plugged it in, it worked, the network is a ton faster than when i had it on a 10/100MB hub. The lights at the front are useful, ie they are off if no device is connected, orange for ports operating at 100MB (because the device on the other end of the cable is only 100MB capable) and green for full gigabit connections..Greate value for money, think i paid about £17.00

4.0 out of 5 stars TP-Link TL-SG1005D 5-Port Gigabit Switch, 26 Jun. 2013
Steven Hoare "stereohaven" (Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this to replace a 10/100 Netgear switch I use by my TV as I gradually upgrade my home network to wired Gigabit.

Delivery was swift as usual and the item was well packaged. The switch itself is very simple, just plug and play, although if you are new to this type of device don't forget that you plug the cable from your router into port 1, something the limited instructions doesn't actually mention! This of course means you actually only have 4 ports free to connect equipment to, which is fine for my needs.

Unlike the Netgear it replaces the TP-Link switch can be wall mounted which is very handy and helps me keep things behind the TV nice and tidy. As the TP-Link is pretty "cheap and cheerful" it doesn't feel as solid as the Netgear but putting it on a wall keeps it pretty safe from being bashed around.

Overall you really can't go wrong at this price, it's simple and does the job effectively. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good switch, great price., 11 Nov. 2010
I was sufficiently impressed with the ease of setup of this switch that I bought a second one. It is completely plug and play as it auto-configures any of the ports to act as the uplink port. Each port has an LED that glows green if a gigabit device is plugged in, or orange if not. This indicated that the motherboard of one of my PCs was not the version with a gigabit ethernet port despite the fact that the startup splash screen described it as a gigabit motherboard. That was fixed by adding the TP-Link Gigabit card TP-Link 32-bit Gigabit PCI Network Interface Card (TG-3269) Realtek RTL8169SC.

With two of these switches I now have two PCs, upstairs and downstairs, connected to a network media hard drive and copying files at a much higher speed. I cannot comment on the reliability and performance of this switch compared with other makes, but the price from Amazon is unbeatable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says, no fuss., 26 Dec. 2010
David Fardon "dfardon" (Barcelona, Spain) - See all my reviews
Plugged it in, connected the Ethernet cables, turned it on, it worked. Haven't thought about it since. Exactly how technology should be.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy with this, 25 Feb. 2013
RnA (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Very happy with this, does exactly what it says on the tin. Not sure what you can say about an ethernet switch, unless it stops working, in which case you can complain. But I cannot do that. I installed this a few weeks ago and mounted it to the wall. It is routing packets of data throughout my house and not complaining. It's not waking me up at night, for starters which is more than I can say for the kids. And it's gigabit, so it's faster than connecting things over wifi. I think the ideal way to handle network traffic in a domestic setting is to put as many devices as possible on a wired/ethernet connection (AppleTV, printers, modem/router, etc.) and save the wifi just for mobile devices like iPads and iPhones. Going back to the review of this TP-Link Unmanaged Gigabit Desktop Switch, I'd recommend it for anyone who is looking for an unmanaged gigabit desktop switch. The "desktop" part is a bit of a misnomer, as I've mounted it to the wall (it has mounting holes on the bottom), but then again TP-Link named their product "TL-SG1008D", so I'm assuming they don't have professionals in their "Product Naming" department anyways.

In short, if you need a switch with 8 ports, I recommend you get this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good product., 28 Dec. 2011
Plugged it in and it just worked. Using on a mixture of GNU linux (ubuntu) and windows home network. Transfer speeds are now faster between networked pc's than 10/100 link provided by my router, which the machines used to be plugged into . I have three machines and an ADSL modem router plugged into the switch to give the pc's access to each other and the internet. No problems so far running for 4 weeks, unit is switched on 24/7. Transfer speed on file copy shown as 47.5MB/s which allowed 3 files totalling 54GB to be copied between two pc's in 19 minutes 9 seconds or 1GB every 21 seconds. On my 100Mb network connection transfer speed was 9.5 MB/s which was 3 files totalling 54GB copied in 1 hour 35 minutes or 1GB every 1 minute 45 seconds. This was also while I was on the internet browsing which didn't effect the transfer rate. So the new switch provides transfers at 5 times the speed on my old network. So in my opinion well worth the just under £14 cost. Note all pc's already had a gigabit ethernet port to attach the gigabit switch to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it says on the tin, 8 Sept. 2012
Mr. T. F. Norton (Maidstone, UK) - See all my reviews
Want a gigabit switch that's cheap? This is just that. It works excellently. By connecting two computers with SSDs and gigabit Ethernet adapters to it, I was able to max out the 1000mbps connection, which is no mean feat. This translates to 120MB/sec data transfer rates. Gigabit Ethernet basically makes having network storage that reads and writes as if the data is stored locally inside the computer achievable now.

It's small, silent and doesn't run hot. It handles 10/100mbps Ethernet too, so if you have a mixture of devices to attach to it, this is not a problem, and what's more, data transfer rates are only limited by the two devices that are interacting in question. What I mean is: having one device connected at 100mbps doesn't throttle all devices to 100mbps. In my situation, for example, I have a NAS that has a gigabit adapter, and although most of the devices that connect to it are only on 100mbps interfaces, I've got rid of a big bandwidth limit when multiple users connect to the NAS.

Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars What a difference!, 31 Dec. 2012
When I first set this up I was dissapointed with the results. I checked the adapter setting at my desktop and the file server and I noticed they were still set to 100Mbps. I was connected to the server with a comtrend powerline adapter. I pulled out the powerline adaptors and connected to the server via the switch with new Cat6 ethernet cables. The adaptors immediately set themselves to 1Gbps.

Data transmission speeds-

Wireless 802.11g - old wireless card in my desktop - 0.75 MBytes per second - paint dries faster.
Wireless 802.11n - wife's netbook - 1.5 MBytes per second - very slow.
Comtrend 200mbps adaptors - 5 to 6.5 MBytes per second - bit faster.
Cat6 Cable connections between desktop, server and switch - 120 MBytes per second - blindingly fast.

If you want faster downloads this switch wont help very much unless you have fibre-optic to the modem.
If you want faster files transfers within your local network expect a gigantic improvement!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent performance at this price, 28 Oct. 2010
Martin Rickman (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
The TPLink switch is incredibly easy to set-up. Each port is fully auto-sensing so no neeed for cross-over cables or toggling DIP switches meaning that you can have the switch up and running in less than five minutes.

The performance of the switch is excellent for the price. Even with older equipment still running 100Mbps Ethernet, I have seen approx 50% increase in data throughput speeds on my LAN compared to the OEM switch it replaced.

Overall, I would say the TPLink is excellent value for money. Ideally suited for a small office or home LAN.

5.0 out of 5 stars More on the 8 port..., 27 Nov. 2014
Just to add a few details. This it the same size as the 5 port TL-SG1005D, which I replaced. The five port has been working for four years, constantly on and never failed.

Also, for the few 1 and 2 stars reviews, it DOES work with media servers and the like and DOES NOT block any traffic. At all. Full stop. Just ask yourself, what company would do that..? Another company would just bring in one that didn't block and TP-Link would be no-more..

As of last week this has - PS4, PS3, bluray player, 60" plasma, Sky box and a laptop, all connected to my upstairs router. Which, in turn, is connected to my pc.. Which runs several media players, faultlessly.

I give this five stars, simply because at £18.48, you can't go wrong. This is much more reliable than glitchy, buggy wireless. The easiest thing to install, faster and so much cheaper.