5.0 out of 5 stars Works....
Published on 21 Nov 2010 by Lee London

2.0 out of 5 stars its ok.. but..
I have had this for about 6 months now. It really is not a gbit switch and should not claim to be. Its ok as a cheap home switch but if you need mulitple connections with sustained 1gbits it does not do the task. I would recommend the XyZEL GS1610 switch for that. (bought to replace TPLink due issues reported).
Published 14 months ago by PEN NAME

5.0 out of 5 stars Works...., 21 Nov 2010
This review is from: TP-Link TL-SG1005D 5-Port Gigabit Unmanaged Desktop Switch (Personal Computers)
Not a lot you can say about it as it just works! I plugged it in, it worked, the network is a ton faster than when i had it on a 10/100MB hub. The lights at the front are useful, ie they are off if no device is connected, orange for ports operating at 100MB (because the device on the other end of the cable is only 100MB capable) and green for full gigabit connections..Greate value for money, think i paid about £17.00

4.0 out of 5 stars TP-Link TL-SG1005D 5-Port Gigabit Switch, 26 Jun 2013
Steven Hoare "stereohaven" (Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this to replace a 10/100 Netgear switch I use by my TV as I gradually upgrade my home network to wired Gigabit.

Delivery was swift as usual and the item was well packaged. The switch itself is very simple, just plug and play, although if you are new to this type of device don't forget that you plug the cable from your router into port 1, something the limited instructions doesn't actually mention! This of course means you actually only have 4 ports free to connect equipment to, which is fine for my needs.

Unlike the Netgear it replaces the TP-Link switch can be wall mounted which is very handy and helps me keep things behind the TV nice and tidy. As the TP-Link is pretty "cheap and cheerful" it doesn't feel as solid as the Netgear but putting it on a wall keeps it pretty safe from being bashed around.

Overall you really can't go wrong at this price, it's simple and does the job effectively. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 port ethernet desktop switch, 6 Nov 2013
R. Bellingham (south Wales) - See all my reviews
5 port ethernet desktop switch - works well so far. I have my TV, DVD player and Humax PVR's internet ethernet leads connected to this switch (acting as a hub). There is another ethernet lead connected to the internet router. In use so far I have not had any problems connected any device to the internet so the switch must be automatically granting internet access as requried to each device.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good switch, great price., 11 Nov 2010
I was sufficiently impressed with the ease of setup of this switch that I bought a second one. It is completely plug and play as it auto-configures any of the ports to act as the uplink port. Each port has an LED that glows green if a gigabit device is plugged in, or orange if not. This indicated that the motherboard of one of my PCs was not the version with a gigabit ethernet port despite the fact that the startup splash screen described it as a gigabit motherboard. That was fixed by adding the TP-Link Gigabit card TP-Link 32-bit Gigabit PCI Network Interface Card (TG-3269) Realtek RTL8169SC.

With two of these switches I now have two PCs, upstairs and downstairs, connected to a network media hard drive and copying files at a much higher speed. I cannot comment on the reliability and performance of this switch compared with other makes, but the price from Amazon is unbeatable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says, no fuss., 26 Dec 2010
David Fardon "dfardon" (Barcelona, Spain) - See all my reviews
Plugged it in, connected the Ethernet cables, turned it on, it worked. Haven't thought about it since. Exactly how technology should be.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing value for a Gigabit Switch, 17 Mar 2010
I have a PC running Windows 7 64 bit which has a Gigabit connection.

I also have a 2 Terabyte NAT drive. Using the ADSL router, I was getting slow data transfers.

Now I have connected this switch, data transfers are much much faster.

I also beleive my laptop backs up faster even though its only got a 100 Meg Ethernet port.

Everything worked first time, no problems.

My computer / laptop backup faster and can get on the web through the ADSL router as before. Brilliant bit ofkit at this price.

Mine was not like the picture, actually looks better, white, very small and discrete.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value up front and low running cost, 5 Oct 2011
I have been very impressed with this unit - compact and unobtrusive it has handled my setup at home with no problems

Bedroom 2: ADSL Modem Router (100MB) -> TP Link Powerline Adapter (200MB) ->
Living Room: TP Link Powerline Adapter (200MB) -> this Switch (1000MB) -> Xbox360, Internet-enabled LCD TV, iMac

What I am most impressed with is that even though my current setup is not all gigabit I have already got a small but definitely noticeable uptick in browsing speed on my iMac (nothing else at all has changed in my setup including browser version (Chrome v14) - I supposed I would see that with any gigabit switch but at this price it's great value.

Also, one final point, the documentation states its lower power green credentials - this switch powers off the ports when not in use and adjusts the power used depending on the length of Ethernet cable in use with each port

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent performance at this price, 28 Oct 2010
Martin Rickman (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
The TPLink switch is incredibly easy to set-up. Each port is fully auto-sensing so no neeed for cross-over cables or toggling DIP switches meaning that you can have the switch up and running in less than five minutes.

The performance of the switch is excellent for the price. Even with older equipment still running 100Mbps Ethernet, I have seen approx 50% increase in data throughput speeds on my LAN compared to the OEM switch it replaced.

Overall, I would say the TPLink is excellent value for money. Ideally suited for a small office or home LAN.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing! 👌, 22 Aug 2014
Bought this as I have multiple devices in my room but only have a single ethernet cable that runs under the carpet that was originally put there for my PS3... But due to moving all my consoles I needed something that will be able to connect all my devices through the single ethernet cable I have & this device does it perfectly! I installed it with ease & everything connected perfect. Now my PS4, PS3, 360 & Sky+ HD box all run on ethernet & downloading speeds are amazing. This product is a must buy!! 🙌

4.0 out of 5 stars Interference, 22 Dec 2011
This switch works very well, requires no setting up, and at its price is good value. I did have one problem though, which is probably related to the fact that it has a plastic case, not metal. I placed the switch on top of a blu-ray player which itself sat on top of a hefty Audio Visual Receiver. Network connections through the switch were disrupted by interference from one or both of these devices. When I moved the switch six inches or so away, everything worked fine.