5.0 out of 5 stars Works....
Published on 21 Nov 2010 by Lee London

2.0 out of 5 stars Disconnection Issues
I find the build quality of this unit very decent for the price, and initially I had a good experience using it within my network, which has several machines connected via two separate switches (this and another TP-Link 8-port switch) linked by a Cat-6 backbone cable at 1Gbps (Windows 7 desktop PC, Windows server, 2 x Unraid servers, QNAP 6-bay NAS, IBM Notebook)...
Published 16 months ago by Robert Groom

5.0 out of 5 stars Works...., 21 Nov 2010
This review is from: TP-Link TL-SG1005D 5-Port Gigabit Unmanaged Desktop Switch (Personal Computers)
Not a lot you can say about it as it just works! I plugged it in, it worked, the network is a ton faster than when i had it on a 10/100MB hub. The lights at the front are useful, ie they are off if no device is connected, orange for ports operating at 100MB (because the device on the other end of the cable is only 100MB capable) and green for full gigabit connections..Greate value for money, think i paid about 17.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, small, functional, what more do we need?, 25 Feb 2013
R. F. Stevens "richard23491" (Ickenham UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The TP-Link 5 port metal cased Giganet TL-SG105 10/100/1000 switch works perfectly straight out of the box. No set-up is required. It auto-senses the cable connection and interfaces correctly to both T568A and T568B wiring of the cables, so there is no need for 'crossover' leads. It uses the newest 'Energy Saving' chip-set and supports the latest interface standards.

The power supply is a small 9V plug-top unit that barely thinks about getting warm, like the metal box for the switch. I'm guessing from this cool running that each seems to be using about half a watt with normal average traffic, and so will cost me about a pound a year in electricity.
Edit. 09 March 2013. Measured current from a 9V bench power supply was 85mA (765mW) with no ports connected, rising to 105mA (945mW) all ports connected but no traffic, during a 7GByte 1000Mb/s backup between two ports the current peaked at roughly 220mA (~2W) but varied. Much, much better than the old 100/10 switch it replaces, which took about 300mA (~2.3W) at 7.5V 24/7 and had an inefficient hot mains brick.

The LED lights are on the connector edge, two adjacent to each of the five sockets indicate activity in the normal way; solid for connected and flashing for data transfer, the green LED for 1000Mb/s and the yellow LED for 10/100Mb/s. There is also a separate green LED showing when the power is correct. I would have preferred the lights to be on the other side from all of the leads as with the version (9.0) of the TP-Link SF1005D (not shown on Az now) I bought in 2012, or on the top as with this version TP-Link SF1005D I bought in 2011, but I understand why it was done here.

A couple of keyhole slots (2 inches or 51mm apart) in the base of the metal box enable one to mount it on a pair of no6 countersink-head wood-screws to allow tidy routing of the cables. The four rubber feet help to prevent it from sliding off the screws. The 5 port box is 100mm x 105mm x 28mm.

My house has no wi-fi; the CAT5E LAN is all hard-wired and this new switch living next to the Giganet server and ADSL modem/router replaces a previous and out-of-date (and much warmer running) 10/100Mb/s generic no-name unit.

The network is mixed traffic, some Giganet, but mostly old 100Mb/s Ethernet. The new switch handles it all at full duplex with no problems, and I have noticed a slight increase in the speed of the 100Mb/s transfers as well.

I took the lid off to have a look inside (my work used to include designing high speed electronics) and it is nicely made with good quality components and proper attention to screening and track layout.

Recommended. Thank you Vine.

Addendum. 25th May 2013
Still going strong. So I've also bought the 8 port version to replace an anonymous Maplin effort that was only 100/10 so that most of my network is 1000/100/10, along with the gigabit network card added to the big PC.

Addendum 2. 26th October 2013.
I have since found an equally good switch from Trendnet with the LEDs on the other side from the leads.

Addendum 3. 6th April 2014.
Be aware that on this product page Az has mixed up all the reviews for all the different varieties of TP Link switches, 8 and 5 port, Gigabit or not, metal and plastic cases, and they have different performance and best uses. But cut to the chase, and simply go for the metal boxed Gigabit switches.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good switch, great price., 11 Nov 2010
I was sufficiently impressed with the ease of setup of this switch that I bought a second one. It is completely plug and play as it auto-configures any of the ports to act as the uplink port. Each port has an LED that glows green if a gigabit device is plugged in, or orange if not. This indicated that the motherboard of one of my PCs was not the version with a gigabit ethernet port despite the fact that the startup splash screen described it as a gigabit motherboard. That was fixed by adding the TP-Link Gigabit card TP-Link 32-bit Gigabit PCI Network Interface Card (TG-3269) Realtek RTL8169SC.

With two of these switches I now have two PCs, upstairs and downstairs, connected to a network media hard drive and copying files at a much higher speed. I cannot comment on the reliability and performance of this switch compared with other makes, but the price from Amazon is unbeatable.

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 port ethernet desktop switch, 6 Nov 2013
R. Bellingham (south Wales) - See all my reviews
5 port ethernet desktop switch - works well so far. I have my TV, DVD player and Humax PVR's internet ethernet leads connected to this switch (acting as a hub). There is another ethernet lead connected to the internet router. In use so far I have not had any problems connected any device to the internet so the switch must be automatically granting internet access as requried to each device.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says, no fuss., 26 Dec 2010
David Fardon "dfardon" (Barcelona, Spain) - See all my reviews
Plugged it in, connected the Ethernet cables, turned it on, it worked. Haven't thought about it since. Exactly how technology should be.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value up front and low running cost, 5 Oct 2011
I have been very impressed with this unit - compact and unobtrusive it has handled my setup at home with no problems

Bedroom 2: ADSL Modem Router (100MB) -> TP Link Powerline Adapter (200MB) ->
Living Room: TP Link Powerline Adapter (200MB) -> this Switch (1000MB) -> Xbox360, Internet-enabled LCD TV, iMac

What I am most impressed with is that even though my current setup is not all gigabit I have already got a small but definitely noticeable uptick in browsing speed on my iMac (nothing else at all has changed in my setup including browser version (Chrome v14) - I supposed I would see that with any gigabit switch but at this price it's great value.

Also, one final point, the documentation states its lower power green credentials - this switch powers off the ports when not in use and adjusts the power used depending on the length of Ethernet cable in use with each port

4.0 out of 5 stars Be careful which version of the TL-SG1008 you get..., 10 Jun 2011
John Gray (UK) - See all my reviews
BE CAREFUL! There are at least THREE versions of this TP-Link 8-port Gigabit switch:

* the TL-SG1008D with a entirely black plastic case with a single set of ethernet port lights at the front, and the small power socket and 8 ethernet sockets at the back, for 'consumer' use - this seems to be cheaper, since old stock?

* the TL-SG1008D with a stepped white top on a black plastic case (so about 60% black and 40% white) with a double row (1 Gbps, and 100/10 Mbps) of ethernet port lights at the front, and the small power socket and 8 ethernet sockets at the back, for 'consumer' use.

I assume that the part-white case is the newer version. Both have a power adapter (of some sort).

* the TL-SG1008 (no 'D' suffix) which has a metal rack-mountable case, with the lights AND the 8 ethernet sockets at the front and the power socket at the back, for 'business use'. This has an internal power supply, and the 13A 'kettle plug' fits straight into the back.

I got sent the third one (whereas I now discover I wanted the second one) so I had to rotate/reverse it so that the power lead went in the front - thus I can't see the individual ethernet socket lights because the patch cables have to be at the back, where the lights are...

I have seen a fourth version on the net, which has a black case with white round the edges (or a white case with black inserts), however you describe this. I guess this is an even older version than the entire-black-cased variant.

Just make sure you get the type you want!

Congratulations to TP-Link for making a decent switch, and boo! for not distinguishing clearly between the different variants.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent performance at this price, 28 Oct 2010
Martin Rickman (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
The TPLink switch is incredibly easy to set-up. Each port is fully auto-sensing so no neeed for cross-over cables or toggling DIP switches meaning that you can have the switch up and running in less than five minutes.

The performance of the switch is excellent for the price. Even with older equipment still running 100Mbps Ethernet, I have seen approx 50% increase in data throughput speeds on my LAN compared to the OEM switch it replaced.

Overall, I would say the TPLink is excellent value for money. Ideally suited for a small office or home LAN.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interference, 22 Dec 2011
This switch works very well, requires no setting up, and at its price is good value. I did have one problem though, which is probably related to the fact that it has a plastic case, not metal. I placed the switch on top of a blu-ray player which itself sat on top of a hefty Audio Visual Receiver. Network connections through the switch were disrupted by interference from one or both of these devices. When I moved the switch six inches or so away, everything worked fine.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disconnection Issues, 17 Mar 2013
Robert Groom (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

However, during extended testing, I found that I was experiencing some network 'freezing' and disconnection issues where I would find my Unraid media server just disappearing from the network during extended large file writes, which I'd never seen previously.

After substituted the new TP-link switch for my old NetGear GS605 v3, the issues went away (no other changes or re-boots were necessary). I can only assume this was down to issues with the 5 port TL-SG105 TP-link hub.

Disappointing, as I've not had similar issues like this previously with my other TP-Link Gigabit switch (an 8-port TL-SG1008D) which has always performed flawlessly.

Maybe I was unlucky and received a bad unit.

I can only say proceed with caution, and if you start to experience strange network issues, substitute it with another unit to see if they go away.