on 18 October 2010
This is an unexpected bonus of owning a kindle. Haven't seen this mag for years. Works well on the kindle (though probably less graphic intensive than the actual mag). It's now easy to get hold of and it's a bargain at £1.99 an issue.
Wish Isaac was still around to see this, Asimov's delivered wirelessly to your electronic reading device! It's like a self fulfilling prophecy isn't it? Proof that the future is here now! Thankfully no silver jump suits but sadly no hovercars....
22 comments|42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 November 2012
I was most disappointed to find that I could not transfer my long standing subscription to this magazine and Analog from my Kindle keyboard to my new Kindle Fire HD.
It appears that the UK versions are not compatible with the FIRE whereas the US version is. But Amazon US refers me back to UK when I try to set up a subscription through the US site. It's probably a matter of VAT - but it is sad that once again we lag behind the US.

Come on AMAZON - sort it out please!
on 23 September 2010
First time reader, having discovered it on Kindle. Quality sci-fi, great choice of fab, extremely well written stories from great writers.
VINE VOICEon 10 January 2011
This is one of the best buys I've made for my Kindle - although I'm sure there'll be others. To anyone who likes the "traditional" sci-fi writings associated with an earlier age, this will be perfection!

Excellent science fiction in all its various guises - from twist-in-the-tale short stories to complex and innovative novellas, this is simply marvelous - a great read and very good value. It's utterly praise-worthy.
on 21 December 2010
Having recently subscribed to this magazine, I cannot stress enough that the stories in Asimov really do cater for all kinds of Science Fiction fans. The variety and subject matter of the stories are often brilliant, touching all the base's from futuristic far out high-tech, 'realistic' upcoming potential future tech, the metaphysical and the downright bizzare.

While you may not enjoy all of the stories in a particular issue, you will enjoy the majority. For the price, your definitely getting your monies worth each month if your a fan of the genre. Really can't recommend enough.
I am a long-time fan of everything Asimov. What better way to remember Isaac Asimov and scratch my itch for science fiction than reading Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine? But I'm not sufficiently well-organized to track it down in a bookstore all of the time. And the mailed issues seem to wander off on their own. The perfect solution is a Kindle subscription that just shows up every month on my iPad--where only I can get at it.

There's a good content balance, too. Each issue has two or three novelettes and maybe twice that many short stories. The quality isn't quite as good as in the The Year's Best Science Fiction Annual collections or Year's Best SF collections I enjoy, but that's to be expected. This is frontline science fiction, from the author to the editor to the reader. The Departments sections with info about conventions, newly-released books, and upcoming stories are added value. They help me feel a little more connected with the science fiction community.

As with other Kindle offerings, one of the attractions is reading on devices like the iPhone and iPad that also hold a lot of legitimate, technical information. Maybe I'm just kidding myself when I think I'm getting away with it, but I do enjoy reading Asimov's in a long, boring, all-hands work meeting. I think he'd enjoy doing it, too.

So, there's the recommendation--subscribe to this magazine via the Kindle app on one or more of your smart devices. It's the best of all possible worlds. And there are a lot of them, aren't there?
on 2 March 2011
I got this on trial just to see if a magazine would hold up on the Kindle and was impressed enough to subscribe. The stories range in their scope and style, but the majority I've read have been highly enjoyable. Well worth the subs cost, probably one of the best magazines available on the Kindle at the moment!
on 3 February 2011
As another reviewer mentioned, I think Asimov would be very proud that his magazine can be delivered wirelessly to one's electronic reading device!
Every sci-fi fan should subscribe. There are a few novellas each month, a few short stories and even a few poems. The tales are varied and there's something for everyone, whether you like whizz-bang spaceship sci-fi or human drama stories. There is a working contents table and you can click in and view a short summary of each piece before reading, or if you prefer you can read from beginning to end like a book.
A great price for a great magazine.
on 3 July 2013
I decided to cancel my subscription when I found out that Amazon decided I can no longer access any issues older than seven months. Those were all issues I paid for. What is even worse, I did not have time to read them - now they are gone. Never going to subscribe to any periodical available for kindle. Terminating my Analog subscription as well.
66 comments|10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 May 2011
The automatically downloaded magazines was one of the things I was most looking forward to about the Kindle. In this Asimov's Science Fiction definitely does not disappoint: it is still a joy to wake up to find another copy ready to read.

The magazine features a wide range of articles, from novelettes to barely 1000 line short stories. Their content and authorship also shows a very pleasing range from barely post modern to unrecognisable alien worlds, displaying some of the best Science-fiction writing of today.

My one and only complaint, would be that some months the editing has been a bit off, with omitted spaces and such like (I initially thought it was the writer's style until I found it pervaded the entire edition). This is however an absolutely minor quibble with what is a thoroughly enjoyable and entertaining monthly read, for a very reasonable price.