4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful,accomplished classical showcase., 9 Dec 2008
This review is from: Concerto Suite for Electric Guitar & Orchestra in E Flat Minor Op.1 - Millennium (Audio CD)
This features some of Yngwies most fulfilling work.He shows himself as a musician of undoubted class here, there is plenty of vitriolic soloing but at appropriete junctures, not detracting from the integrety of any of the pieces.The focus here is a celebration of melody and the emotional potency of the orchestra.Highlights for me are,"Fugue","Vivace",and,"Presto vivace".This was a very worth while effort and I look forward to his next instrumental outing.Enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fusion of Sound and Ketchup, 19 Feb 2010
Saranjit Dosanjh "Saz" (Brussels, Belgium) - See all my reviews
Yngwie Malmsteen is a classically trained musician, I thought I'd get that out first in case you didn't know. He trained on piano and violin and was already composing before he picked up the Electric Guitar. So what we have here is a series of short classical compositions where the lead part is taken by the guitar. The lead could just as easily be played by violin so don't be fooled, this isn't metalhead music, it is definitely classical.

Having said that, if you like meandering guitar solos (and why else would you be looking for works by Malmsteen?) this fits the bill as well as any, then there is the added bonus that we don't have to listen to Yngwie's vocal insistence that he really is a big mean viking and will get very cross if you touch his boat. Sorry Yngwie, I know it's de rigeur for the metalhead albums but sometimes it's just too much cheese even for a dyed-in-the wool rocker like myself.

Where does that leave us then? Technically very well composed, complex, littered with creativity and the backdrop of the orchestra gives a new depth and feeling to the electric guitar. Extra points for keeping the guitar at a decent level in the mix without drowning everything else out, minus one point for using an acoustic guitar on one track but leaving the words "for Electric Guitar" in the title.

I am a fan of music classical and metal, I'll go to the opera and the Ozzfest even if it's the same weekend. For me this wins as a classical feast and again as an electric guitar burger with fries. I'm particularly relieved that it isn't self aggrandising pomp, it really is good music. Buy it now. I just wish there was a lot more music like this around, it's a brilliant fusion. Buy it now, two genre's in one it's like getting a twelve course take-away from a fancy French restaurant. Ok, I'm getting hungry but still this is an excellent album, buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific Music, 23 May 2009
Alan David (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
This record is a powerfull marriage of dazzling guitar technique and orchestral music. Best of both musical worlds.

ARRAY(0xa33b8444)