Shop now Shop now Shop now Up to 70% off Fashion Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Shop now Amazon Pantry Food & Drink Beauty Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

It's been yet another rainy Bank Holiday, and in that tricky couple of hours before dinner we were very pleased to discover this forgotten birthday present lurking at the back of the cupboard. My crafty children have had other Crayola sets before, and they tend to be well designed and fun to do. This set proved to be no exception and kept my six year old busy for over an hour, which given the circumstances was no mean feat!

When we opened the box we found that it contained a china pony in white, unfinished porcelain. It's about 12 cm high and the same length wise, and hollow - actually it looks a bit strange when you first get it out as there are holes where the mane and tail go, they are on solid plastic mounts which slot into the holes to complete the horse. The mane and tail are contained in a seperate packet, along with ribbons and a number of mini hair slides and beads designed to be added on when the pony has been painted. There are is also a sheet of stickers, a hairbrush for the pony, a paintbrush and 5 little pots of paints.

My daughter wasn't able to open the paints without assistance, but apart from that was able to complete the pony independently. She made a rainbow pony with stripey legs, no doubt inspired by the colours provided; purple, green, blue, yellow and red. I was delighted when she spent a good deal of time carefully painting her design, the pony did look quite cute and obviously inspired her to try and make a good job of it! She did get a little frustrated at points that the paintbrush wasn't quite fine enough for the design she had in mind, but we have other brushes so this wasn't a huge issue. The paint dried surprisingly quickly and was easy to scrape off, for example around the rims of the eyes where she had gone slightly over the lines. Importantly it seemed to wash off her hands very easily too, and there was enough paint in the pots to allow the entire pony to be covered.

Once my daughter had finished her pony she was very pleased to be able to add the detail of the mane and decorate it, having slotted it in herself fairly easily. The finished item is breakable, due to being made of china, but robust enough to stand up to some careful play. I found that she was happy to style and restyle her pony for quite a while.

To me this toy is fairly priced. The finished item has limited use to be fair but is, for my daughter, a welcome addition to her special shelf where all her best creations are displayed with pride in her room. She really enjoyed making this item, and despite the fact that it has a silly name the "colour n' style pony" according to the box (is it me or is that "n" a bit naff?) , I'm happy to recommend it as an enjoyable activity for the age Crayola suggest (4 +), and I will definitely be buying some more of these for our birthday present drawer!

(appears elsewhere in my name)
on 5 February 2009
My 4 year old grandaughter really enjoyed decorating her pony and it absorbed her for some time. She loved painting it and putting on the stickers. The drawbacks were that the stickers lacked stickability and that the pony was fragile. She dropped it and broke off the leg! Luckily we managed to mend it. The product could definitely do with being made from a stronger material. The result has to be satisfying and durable. Good idea but needs tweaking1
on 20 June 2009
I brought this item as a gift for a birthday and was thanked very much as the child thought it was great and was having great fun with it. If you have a child that likes painting and drawing they will like this.
on 12 January 2009
My 4 year old got this for her birthday and she enjoyed painting and decorating it. It came with lots of stickers, jewels and hair accessories. The only problem was she knocked it over and it smashed to pieces!! My advice to anyone buying it is to handle it very carefully, although it is suitable for little girls and fun to decorate it is very fragile.
on 24 April 2009
I bought this colour and style pony for my 4 year old daughter. She absolutely loved it particularly the painting part. She has tried to place the stickers on the pony, but they don't want to stick properly. The hair clips are a little small, as you can only put a very minute amount of hair in them otherwise they will not do up. Apart from that my daughter has no complaints, anything to do with ponies she absolutely loves. If a little girl loves ponies them she will be pleased with this product.
on 13 May 2012
This was given to my 4 year old daughter for her birthday, and it was the first thing she wanted to 'do' after opening her presents.
It was perfect for age 4, but would also suit older children, as they can just create a more intricately decorated pony.
Slotting the tail and mane into place was easy, and the only downside was the fact that the stickers really didn't want to stick.. but this may have something to do with the body of the horse being a curved surface.
Great present - I'm going to buy for friend's children.
on 19 March 2012
I sent this to my Grandaughter in Germany from the U.K. to save postage.I live in the U.S. It was a Birthday presant and she was delighted with it. She not only had a project to paint and decorate but had a toy to play with when she was finished. The paint was fast drying and she slept with her new friend on her birthday.
on 6 July 2010
I bought this for my five year old as she is mad on ponys and loves to paint and decorate things with stickers etc. It doesn't take very long to do but you can change the mane and tail decorations as often as you like, she needed a little help with the bows and the cilp on beads but the rest she did herself. It also makes a pretty decoration in her bedroom.
on 25 January 2012
We brought this for our daughter for Christmas, she loves crafts and ponys so the two combined kept her happy for an hour whilst she painted it beautifully, its not in her bedroom with her other painted items. Brilliant to get the kids creative!
on 13 February 2013
My daughter loves the My Little Pony stuff, and she loves art and crafts, so this was perfect for her as it combined them all. She had a lot of fun painting her pony and styling it's mane and tail. There was ample paint, beads and bows to decorate the pony with. My only criticism would be that the mane and tail separate from the pony quite easily. However, they are easily pushed back into place, and if it were treated as an ornament (which is is) and not a toy (which my daughter THINKS it is!), then that wouldn't be an issue.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse