5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Martin Freeman fans

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Martin Freeman fans, 8 July 2011
H. O'Sullivan (Co. Kerry, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The All Together [DVD] (DVD)
I purchased "The All Together" as part of Martin Freeman's back catalogue available on DVD. Had it not been for him playing one of the main characters, I wouldn't have touched this film as I found the synopsis anything but inspiring. Having watched the DVD, I still wouldn't consider this the best film of all times but Martin Freeman's presence in it definitely elevates it to more than watchable status (for me anyway).

What better beginning to a film can a Martin Freeman fan ask for than a voiceover by the man himself, accompanying a shot of him in bed, followed by a series of gorgeous facial close-ups. Even if you say differently in the commentary, Martin, no need to hate them, rest assured!

Watching the DVD, I was a bit suspicious if Moffat/Gatiss had seen the film before penning their brilliant `Sherlock', because Martin's role reminded me more than a bit of Dr Watson: a study in exasperation, self-control and saintly patience. Martin is just so skilled in portraying those emotions in the most perfect and believable way. There is even a truly Sherlockian fridge scene in this - enough said.

I was surprised to learn from the commentary that the film was shot within 18 days, in a mid-terrace house, on an extremely low budget. Martin Freeman fans will be delighted to see that his real-life partner Amanda is excellently cast in a supporting role as social worker Sarah who is asked out by Martin's character in the most appalling and hilarious way. Even one of his dachhunds, Archie, gets his 20 seconds of fame.

Martin Freeman aside, this is a genuinely funny movie if you can ignore the gross bits (I, like Martin Freeman, "don't like the vomit"). It's well worth watching if you can pick it up cheaply. Due to Martin Freeman's presence in the movie, providing me with so many laugh-out-loud moments, I must award five stars. If I wasn't a MF fan, I'd probably give it three stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars deep subtle black comedy Great, 29 Mar 2011
This review is from: The All Together [DVD] (DVD)
This is my most favourite of comedies, not simply for the fact that it is filmed perfectly or that its british, its just one of those films that have you reflect on the human condition, ridiculously funny, it reminds you that when you're just about to point the finger, you pointing at yourself, its blasted real, this film shows up peoples average prejudices etc.. well script slight quirks but that is why I'd say it was my most favourite as has no special effects, not cliche's and with all its qurks it totally original, try first to see it for it subtle inferences which may take a couple of watches then you'll see why it appeals to the humourless lol!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 25 Sep 2007
This review is from: The All Together [DVD] (DVD)
I couldn't rent this title so had to buy the DVD. Sure, this is a very low budget movie but that said it's completely original, smartly written and very funny. Martin Freeman is excellent as always but I reckon it's the supporting cast that really makes this weird little picture so much fun. Everyone is so obviously enjoying themselves and this translates on to the screen.

Pretty short but really enjoyable.

5.0 out of 5 stars GENUINELY VERY FUNNY... despite what the critics said, 24 Sep 2007
This review is from: The All Together [DVD] (DVD)
Made on half a shoestring... ok so there's a hole or two in it, but it's weird and it's funny and becomes more so the more times you see it. Freeman well supported in what is an ensemble piece. Very unfairly criticized by Dyer-haters on release, should become a cult classic. Give it a miss if you're a bit thick or narrow-minded - oh and your granny probably won't like it either. Otherwise, enjoy!

1.0 out of 5 stars I can never get back the 2 hours I spent watching this, 8 Oct 2007
Mr. L. Layton (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The All Together [DVD] (DVD)
The worst film I've seen since Hudson Hawk - An absolute shocker. It was so bad I felt that embarrassment feeling you get when watching someone make a complete dick of themselves. It was basically like the sort of thing I imagine they do as a sketch in a Luvvy's drama class. But I do suppose you have to remember that Dyer & Freeman are, after all, Luvvy's (Dyer seems to have forgotten this and has become a caricature of one of his characters). Learn by my mistakes.

2.0 out of 5 stars Tim from the office makes a movie....., 8 Nov 2013
This review is from: The All Together [DVD] (DVD)
Martin Freeman plays an aspiring screenwriter, but to pursue his dreams, he needs to sell his house in order to fund them.

Called in to work urgently, he asks his unreliable flatmate to show realtors around to value the house.

Dyer plays another cockney wideboy, who has to escort an associate to the airport. The associate becomes sick, and they stop off at a house so he can be ill.

It's Freemans house, and a quick pit stop becomes a siege...

When I first saw this film advertised, I was expecting some sort of comedy where freeman finds out that his flatmate (Dyer) was an assassin.

The Poster for this is very deceptive, as the stars do not share one scene together.

Other than that, it's pretty throwaway stuff, with an ironic voice-over, Freeman doing his best Tim from the office impression, and Dyer being Dyer.

Its reminiscent of a seventies sitcom, and although its nothing new, and never once funny, it passes the time well enough

5.0 out of 5 stars hilarious, 5 Jun 2013
Mr. M. J. Lincoln (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The All Together [DVD] (DVD)
Not your usual Danny Dyer but he pulls it off with aplomb, the real star is Martin Freeman who is as usual brilliant.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious....dry British humor....., 13 Jan 2013
This review is from: The All Together [DVD] (DVD)
I am not a Martin Freeman fan (I don't dislike him either), so I didn't buy this film because of him (unlike some other reviewers here). I originally saw this film on a foreign film channel (in English) and thought it was hilarious subtle humor.

Danny Dyer plays the wide boy "wanna be" UK gangster trying to impress the real deal American mafiosi who is in London on "business". However, he is a total joke and can't even hold his gun properly (he has been watching too many American Hollywood gangster movies). "Bob" the eastern european lodger lets them in to Martin Freeman's house believing them to be estate agents and this is where this farce really kicks off. "Bob" played by Velibor Topic is the real funny guy for me.

A great British dry humor film. Well worth renting or buying in my opinion. I liked it so much, I did buy it.

3.0 out of 5 stars "..AVERAGE COMEDY..", 9 May 2012
S. Drury "SDX-800" (U.K) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The All Together [DVD] (DVD)
This was a pretty average comedy movie, I was expecting it to be slightly better, although it was still rather funny in places with some good dialogue mainly from Martin Freemans character, Danny Dyer was also very funny with his colourful language but his character was a bit short lived which ruined it for me, the story was silly and could have been handled better, but if you like British comedy you will find it funny just dont expect allot from it, make sure you only pay under a fiver for it.

3.0 out of 5 stars not a bad effort, 13 Oct 2008
This review is from: The All Together [DVD] (DVD)
i watch so many films now (normally about three a day) that finding a good film in the bunch is pretty hard. I liked this film, it was humourous and well cleverly scripted and indeed it was something diffeent to watch of an evening. Danny Dyer is a good actor and usually chooses decent roles, and he went well with this one. However there was something lacking in this film. I was forever waiting for the 'best bit' to happen, but it never did. The film is fine, but not one that will stick in my mind.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The All Together [DVD]
The All Together [DVD] by Gavin Claxton (DVD - 2007)