5.0 out of 5 stars So you want to make a film.
Published 19 months ago by JDX

3.0 out of 5 stars Generic subtitle fault with this pressing
There is a generic fault with this DVD - I sent the first one back because the sub-titles jump, but the second does the same. Probably a hint to brush up my French!
Published on 30 July 2010 by C. J. Mayled

5.0 out of 5 stars So you want to make a film., 28 Jan 2013
JDX (Yorkshire England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jean Cocteau Boxset [DVD] (DVD)
It was one of my favourite films, it has been one of my favourite films, it is one of my favourite films. The best of the early film makers were wonderfully creative and adventurous. Being silent and having to speak through gesture and image encouraged this. Before talkies the audiences did not expect realism in a mundane sense. The zany, the quirky, the melodramatic, could all thrive. Cocteau's circle were upper class but he was interested in all forms of art. He will have known the silent films very well. When he made this film in the forties he brought that knowledge, and added his own knowledge of a thousand years of European painting, and of Greece and Rome. Money was short, this is a low budget movie. The wealth he brought to the film was his imagination. There is also a slight parallel with Bergman: the cast is a company which gives the acting a special quality.

Last time I saw this film it was rather grey and a bit shabby but the DVD copy is fresh and strong. The exposures of the film stock will have been slightly over exposed to bring out contrast (many of the outside shots filmed in strong sunlight, which creates surrealist overtones). I think that gives a quality very much of the late 1940s and scarcity but also a strong echo of the first film makers similarly working in slow film and bright natural light.

Now I have the DVD I can watch this film in tiny bites savouring all the nuances and subtleties of this great team of film makers. It is inspirational. For anyone brave enough to go out with two small camcorders and imagination this is an advanced university course in how to make film. To see how creative Cocteau could be with limited resources I recommend Testament d'Orphee. Watch that and you will really see how Orphee was made. It is clear that the great commercial film makers have poured over this film stock. Why not join them.

Cocteau is probably making a comeback currently (though for me he never went away) and that is again because he is such a source of creative starting points.

Watching the film again I found myself transformed to a childhood experience of being completely taken over (like the child watching in Bergman's Magic Flute). The thinking and the ideas all followed in subsequent days.

3.0 out of 5 stars Generic subtitle fault with this pressing, 30 July 2010
C. J. Mayled "Chris" (London) - See all my reviews

2.0 out of 5 stars No extras., 2 Dec 2008
Ryan Treadway (Pleasant View, TN USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jean Cocteau Boxset [DVD] (DVD)
Most sources that have any details on this 2 DVD set list a small bounty of extras, including the Cocteau Cineaste documentary and a commentary on The Blood of a Poet. None of these extras appear on the disc that I purchased.

5.0 out of 5 stars Grand Cocteau, 8 Mar 2010
This review is from: Jean Cocteau Boxset [DVD] (DVD)
A fine edition for one of the most eclectic artists of the XX Century. The art of cinema should look back at examples like Cocteau or Buñuel, that set an aesthetic that movies should follow again in your time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Gift, 2 Jan 2009
R. Nicolson - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jean Cocteau Boxset [DVD] (DVD)
I bought this for a friend (I had asked if he has a region free DVD player so I could get him the Region 1 Criterion of this, which I recommend to get instead as there is an additional film with that version) but I picked this one up from Amazon and he was delighted with it.

Blood of A Poet changed his view on film making (friend is a film student) and should be viewed by everyone.

Please give them a chance.

5.0 out of 5 stars great service, 25 Jan 2013
This review is from: Jean Cocteau Boxset [DVD] (DVD)
great film too, is it too late to wish a happy 2013? I think not :)
all the best, cheers

5.0 out of 5 stars A COLLECTION FOR ANY CINEASTE, 9 Mar 2010
This review is from: Jean Cocteau Boxset [DVD] (DVD)
YOU WRITE A SENTENCE OR A BOOK ABOUT THIS COLLECTION,I WILL STICK WITH A SENTENCE!

FOR ANYONE INTERESTED IN THE DEVELOPMENT OF CINEMA AND PHOTOGRAPHIC IMAGERY THIS COLLECTION IS A MUST HAVE!

Jean Cocteau Boxset [DVD]
Jean Cocteau Boxset [DVD] by Jean Cocteau (DVD - 2007)
11.56