4.0 out of 5 stars Nice premise, scarily plausible but I was hoping for something more savage
I took to this film immediately. I saw the opening scenes at work where it was being transmitted on one of our film channels. I would love to see a UK adaptation of this film, or something along the same lines, as the basic premise is somewhat topical in the UK at the moment.

I come from a relatively poor background (grew up in Teesside during the 1980s) but...
Published on 3 Nov 2010 by Philip Quinton

3.0 out of 5 stars "My first wife was 'tarded. She's a pilot now."
Idiocracy starts with a preface, it tells how the process of social advancement has been stunted due to social trends seeing a shift in what is seen as desirable - dumbing down of society has seen ambition watered down - glamour and celebrity has replaced intelligence and ingenuity. Society is getting stupid. When an experiment to freeze two humans for a year goes...
Published on 13 Jan 2012 by @GeekZilla9000

‹ Previous | 16 7 8 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Good enough, 22 Oct 2007
SHANN "SHANN" (England, London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Idiocracy [DVD] (DVD)
A good enough film which was entertaining but is in no danger of international acclaim. The story is very predictable and not the most creative. The basic premise being a guy in modern America waking up in the future following a botched army experiment. Everyone is generally thick due to reduced IQs following mass breeding of those with low intelligence and the phasing out of intelligent people. A poorly written attempt to deliver what is a promising idea. Its worth watching if your bored on a sunday but I wouldnt rush out to buy.

2.0 out of 5 stars Idiotic (but not in an ironic way), 7 July 2013
This review is from: Idiocracy [DVD] (DVD)
Quite frankly one of the most awful films I have ever seen; and I've seen Sister Act II. What Luke Owen was doing signing-up for this dross is beyond me; it's not just the execrable script and excruciating performances, the whole thing is a poorly thought-out mess. Avoid like the plague.

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't Judge Mike on this load of c***, 12 July 2008
C. Cousins "PoppyCorn" (London, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Idiocracy [DVD] (DVD)
I get what Judge is trying to say - that everything seems to be aimed at the lowest common denominator (i.e. reality shows)and if we continue like this it'll only get worse. But surely he can say that and still be funny?

To say this is a bad film is not enough. I found it frustrating to watch, I kept thinking this would be so good if that happened or if he had thought harder about the plot.

I think that's what really disappointed me - I could see a good movie struggling to get out. I'm not a comedy snob, I actually have Baseketball in my collection, but I can't see me watching this movie again, ever...even under threat of death.

That said I did laugh at the concept of a programme called 'Ouch My Balls' being the top rated show.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dumb and dumbest, 14 Feb 2010
This review is from: Idiocracy [DVD] (DVD)
Aside from a couple of genuinely funny scenes this movie misfires throughout, and even the likeable Luke Wilson is unable to save it from the garbage heap. Maybe I just misplaced my inner juvenile but for me the satire is so lacking in subtlety that it's like being hit over the head with a jumbo bucket of fried chicken. I understand what Judge is trying to say about dumbing down, and for that he deserves credit, but this movie itself is so dumbed-down that it's self-parodic. Thinking about it, it's almost certain to become a cult hit.

2.0 out of 5 stars No thanks., 23 May 2007
This review is from: Idiocracy [DVD] (DVD)
It's interesting to see the sheer split of views on this movie, either it's loved or hated. I hated it, and in a way that made me write this as usually I write on pieces I enjoyed. I must admit it did make me laugh in places and so it gets the second star. Luke Wilson is fine in the lead and there is an enthusiasm about the parody of mankinds sink into sheer stupidity. Unfortunately apart from toying with a couple of ideas it doesn't ever elevate itself to anything incisive or interesting; it just works on the one main theme and batters it to death. I do however still love the way our hero escapes and it just might be worth watching for that, otherwise don't waste the time, when you could be doing something else better with your life!

2.0 out of 5 stars Just plain daft, 25 Aug 2011
This review is from: Idiocracy [DVD] (DVD)
If idiocy is your bag then Idiocracy may be your film. There are genuinely amusing moments but it is, for the most part, just too silly to be funny despite the efforts of a reasonable cast.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magic and very funny, 28 May 2007
Ms. K. L. Vines "KT Badger" (North of Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Idiocracy [DVD] (DVD)
I am the type who needs very simple stories which don't require much thinking. This one definatly fits the bill! Brilliant

2.0 out of 5 stars oh dear., 18 Aug 2010
This review is from: Idiocracy [DVD] (DVD)
Ok so if you want a slight comedy that's quick and you will only watch once; this is perfect for you. If you are looking for a DVD that will give you a good time, like I was expecting, you will be disappointed. Sure the acting is good (excluding Luke Wilson's completely unrealistic character's approach), but it's hard to follow the storyline and appreciate it. Don't let me put you off, if you want to get it, then do. But after watching it I'd guarantee you'll be disappointed and have no thoughts of watching it again in the future anytime soon. Perhaps it was the past good reviews that made my high expectations toward the film, so don't tell yourself it will be a brilliant film before watching it, because, in all honesty, it really isn't.

1.0 out of 5 stars One long lame joke., 13 Jan 2010
shpadoinkle - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Idiocracy [DVD] (DVD)
I love 'Office Space', so was hoping this would be of a similar quality and sense of humour. But I cannot believe Mike Judge made both films! 'Office Space' was brilliantly satirical, but it also had a good story, characters that you really cared about, a warm heart, and even insights on how to be happy.

'Idiocracy' has none of these things. It is just one drawn out joke about thick people, and 'dumbing down' of our culture. And it's not even vaguely funny - all the jokes basically consist of showing the rubbish bits of western culture exaggerated and set in a dystopian future. Maybe slightly amusing for five minutes, and then it just gets boring.
I fast forwarded through alot of the film to get to the end, but even that was rubbish.
They couldn't even be bothered with special features on the DVD either (apart from deleted scenes, and who wants to watch those?).

Major disappointment.

NB - I just couldn't understand why some people seemed to like this film, and then I read this in one of the gushing Amazon reviews - "After all, it's fun for us intelligent folks to laugh at the dumb. Though I fear we are fighting a losing battle."
Mystery solved.

1.0 out of 5 stars Possibly the least funny thing I've seen in 2007., 31 Dec 2007
This review is from: Idiocracy [DVD] (DVD)
If there's any humour here, it would take a pickaxe and explosives to uncover it. An amusing idea and no doubt where we're actually headed, but all a trifle too 'obvious'. The voiceover is the bit that really got me. Explaining the action on-screen, just after it happens. I'm sure it's meant to be part of the humour, just in case everyone watching this really thinks New Doctor Who is great ... but for anyone with a brain it is simply cringeful.

Thanksfully, that's what DVD rental is all about: minimal expense for your mistakes.

Don't force this film on anyone with an average IQ (Or higher, of course: see, you needed me to tell you that, didn't you?).

‹ Previous | 16 7 8 | Next ›

Idiocracy [DVD]
Idiocracy [DVD] by Mike Judge (DVD - 2007)