5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT!!
Published on 20 Feb. 2009 by FITTER FI

3.0 out of 5 stars Damaged goods.
Published on 25 Mar. 2011 by Lorna Webster

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT!!, 20 Feb. 2009
This review is from: York Fitbell - 1 x Single (Sports)
I bought these weights to use with Davinas Super Body Workout. Having never used weights before thought I would go for 1.5kg. These were plently heavy enough for a beginner. They have got a slightly sticky feeling plastic coating but these actually makes them feel quite secure in your hand. I am going to get the 2kg ones in the next few weeks as I am used to this weight now, however I will use the 1.5kg for Nell MacAndrew workout as this is harder and I can still only do half of it with 1.5kg.

4.0 out of 5 stars girlie review, 9 Sept. 2008
Recycled Rabbit (Warwickshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: York Fitbell - 1 x Single (Sports)
Well with my small hands I'm not bothered about the width. Having lost one of a pair of bright green dumbells, it's actually useful to be able to buy these singly. It's also good that they come in 0.5kg increments at the lower masses (for the programme I'm following I need various sizes of weights - it's great for those of us without inherent strength to go slowly. I've acually bought a set York 10kg Vinyl Fitbell Kit in a Case which is a bit more of a bargain. My only caveat is that these are shiny and actually a little sticky- I do prefer the matt grip of the dumbells produced by Reebok (Reebok Handweight but they only come in full kilo intervals.

5.0 out of 5 stars weights for women, 11 July 2009
K. L. Pinder (united kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: York Fitbell - 1 x Single (Sports)
When I bought this item I was unsure as to whether the quality would be comparable to the weights that I use at the gym, they are actually better than the 1s that I use there, as the covering is more comfortable to grip, as I am excercising.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does What it Says on the Tin/Webpage, 2 Nov. 2013
This review is from: York Fitbell - 1 x Single (Sports)
I ordered two of the 4k versions- each weight seems to have a different design so this review is only helpful if you are looking at getting the same size.

I've recently started to try and improve my health- I don't really have time to join a gym at the moment so I thought the best bet would be to get some weights and just see how I get on. (along with cutting out the pizza, etc, of course) I'd been using 2 litre bottles of water for a bit before getting these weights- I literally had no muscle- just very bony arms, so the bottles of water actually helped. I wasn't going to get far with them though so I decided to get these- I wasn't sure what weight to get but I think I made the right choice- these feel heavy enough to make for a good work out but not too heavy so as to end up injuring me. I can thus recommend these for people who are just beginning to lift, like myself, though you might want to warm up for a bit with something lighter first.

The main difference between the weights aside from the colours and, um, how much they weigh (yeah...) seems to be the design- according to a lot of reviews, the smaller sized weights have very short handles and thus seemed to have been designed for females. I can only speak for the 4k ones but I'm a +6 foot male and there's easily enough space for me to hold the weights so I either have strangely small hands or some of the weights have different designs. Looking at the pictures, the latter seems to be the case- some seem to have a bump in the middle and some don't- mine doesn't so I'm guessing the ones with the bump are maybe smaller? I don't know, but these are fine for me anyway.

I like the coating- I can grip the weights easily and I just like how it feels. I can also sit the weights down somewhere without worrying about them rolling away because they aren't fully circular at the ends so this may again be a thing that differs depending on the size of weight you buy.

So yeah, I recommend these but do bear in mind the design differences between each type and make sure you read the reviews suited to the kind that you plan to purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very happy!, 16 Feb. 2009
This review is from: York Fitbell - 1 x Single (Sports)
I bought these as im still sticking to my New Years resolution by doing my exercise dvds - i think they are great, i was a little concerned by the comment about them being too narrow to hold but they fit perfectly ok!!! I dont have a problem with the grip, the plastic is not at all sticky, A good buy!!

4.0 out of 5 stars well, its a dumbell, 7 Jun. 2012
This review is from: York Fitbell - 1 x Single (Sports)
I decided I wanted to put on a little muscle, and it's working, but really that's not to do with the unique properties of this dumbell, you gan build muscle lifting four kg of anything.
It works great and has a tough rubber coating which keeps the insides in and the outside out, so yeah, it works as well as four kilos of whatever in a rubber casing should do.
my only complaint is that it has no flat edges, so you can't safely store it on a high shelf because it might roll off.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great weight to start with., 24 Feb. 2008
This review is from: York Fitbell - 1 x Single (Sports)
I think that if you are just starting out with weights, the 3kg is a good to start off with. Overall very good value.
My only complaint is that they could be wider, so it would be easier to put your hand in it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 6 Sept. 2009
This review is from: York Fitbell - 1 x Single (Sports)
Provided you understand that these are sold as singles and you need to order 2 you should be fine. They are excellent dumbells (3kg i opted for) easy to hold and seem very durable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heavier than I thought!, 6 Feb. 2011
This review is from: York Fitbell - 1 x Single (Sports)
Due to my waistline expanding over the Christmas period, I invested in a home "tone up/fatburn" DVD (despite having gym membership that I never use) and needed some handheld weights to use during the work outs.
Rather than a couple of dumb bells that looked like they'd been knocking about in Hulk Hogan's garage, I wanted something smart and modern. I knew York was a good make and soon found these 3kg handhelds, which I liked the look of.
The weights arrived well packaged and my first thought was "you need to be fit to lift these" as they were much heavier than I imagined. This turned out to be a good thing as my "toning" is going well and maybe the process would have been longer with a lighter weight.
In terms of looks, the weights have a plastic/vinyl style cover which is easy to grip and makes storage easier as they don't slip/roll on polished surfaces and stay put. I keep mine in the wardrobe, but they would look smart on show if you lacked storage space. The only thing I've noticed about the covering is that it does seem to attract dust and specs through static, so I normally have to wipe them down before use.
I would have preferred pink, but the blue is just as nice.
A satisfied, almost toned, customer.

3.0 out of 5 stars Damaged goods., 25 Mar. 2011
This review is from: York Fitbell - 1 x Single (Sports)
Received these and they did exactly what they said they would, however there was cuts in the vinyl rubber when they arrived, which didn't affect the use of the weight, but did make it look bad. Did not report as I didn't feel like going through the hoopla of a return when they still worked perfectly well, but still, I believe they should have been in an undamaged condition.

York Fitbells Red 1 x 2.5kg