on 6 October 2013
Another element for the home gym.
Does exactly what it should – good sitting comfort, the back support is adjustable (various angles – from flat to 90deg), stable and comfortable. Small elements make it very nice (eg. wheels in the head legs and a handlebar on the other side to make shifting around the room easier; there – somebody put some thought to it).
Materials used are of good quality – steel elements (proper coating), upholstery is well done, plastic-rubbery caps on bigger nuts&bolts.
Requires some 20-30min to bolt it all together (aka the ikea moment), but then again instruction manual is there; I hate those but I guess no way around that. To sweeten the deal, york provided an A3 with pictures of a young lady flexing next to the bench. Good – I forgot about the ikea element already, while they young lady should keep me motivated.
Overall, looks like a good product – so far so good.
on 30 September 2011
Very nice piece of kit. Very stable and feels strong under heavy use. I store this item on it's end in the corner, ideal if you have limited space. Worth the cost and speedy delivery also.
on 11 January 2011
There were a couple of little things I wanted to add that I hadn't seen in the other reviews. The thing is self assembly and rock solid in construction. There are two long bolts which are only 4mm different in length which I obviously put in the wrong spots. But that's part of the quality. Rather than use same size bolts they've thought about it. Nice.
on 8 January 2012
This is just what I was looking for, a strong sturdy utility bench whose backrest can be adjusted from flat through to 90 degrees. Most of the utility benches I had found on the net failed to mention whether they could be adjusted to 90 degrees or near 90 degrees. This was important for me as I wanted to work my shoulders with military presses. The quality of the upholstery and sturdiness of the framework is as good as anything in a gym.
It took about 20 mins to put together which was good. Tools are provided. Only used it twice so far but the seat and backrest padding seem quite durable.

Almost perfect, except for a few things:
There are not enough angles for the backrest to be adjusted to. I initially wanted a bench that could be adjusted to 90 degrees or almost 90 degrees. Upon using it, 90degrees was ok, but I found it didn't give enough support for my back for exercises such as military press. The next angle down is too far down for shoulderwork for my liking, probably about 22 degrees. I would have liked it to have like a 10-15 degree angle, but this depends on the person I guess. There are 5 backrest positions but there should be more to suit different people's tastes.

Delivery took longer than expected. I ordered it on a monday and the expected delivery day was the following friday but it arrived after 8 days instead of 4.

It does not fold up if you are looking to save space, but I didn't mind.
The dumbell rack things on the underside are a bit useless, but this is minor.
on 19 October 2012
I just picked up this bench as a recent change in work hours means I can no longer hit the Gym as often as I would like, and so I thought I'd invest in some equipment for home. I have to say, I was sceptical at first due to the low price (was reduced to 74.99 at the time of purchase), but I'm thrilled with it, good quality at a bargain.

The bench is robust and sturdy, easy to assemble and great value for money. The bench is also suitable for loads of upto 200kg including body weight (Amazon doesnt mention this rather important tidbit in the item description for some reason).

One thing I should point out however is the bench seems ever so slightly smaller than a typical commercial gym bench, though the difference is barely noticable after a while. Finally the built in dumbell holders are very small, and seem to be designed with those little colourful plastic ladies dumbells in mind. They are flimsy (I bent one with my hand accidentally), and ugly. You would certainly struggle to holster most standard dumbells in them.

Overall I'm happy, it does exactly what its supposed to, and was half the price of some of the comparable models.
on 13 March 2011
was quite easy to put together and seems quite sturdy however the bench does not go completely flat and when the lever is connected at the lowest point there is a slight incline on the bench i have tried to rebuild the bench and the same has happened , but its not a major problem because i dont ever really train bottom chest and would rather train top chest, but may be a problem for other customers. the padding on the backrest is quite thick and supports you well however i use the bench for dumbell workouts and the dummbell rack is tiny and would only support 5kg max dumbells so is completely useless for me but all in all a good bench and worth the money.
on 21 July 2010
Pleased with this - dispatched and delivered efficiently. Quite easy to assemble, though the instructions could be a bit simpler.

Generally very satisfied - robust, well designed and easy on the eye, which is nice.

Minor gripes:

- It's 'compact' (i.e. a bit small).
- The rubber feet on the seat-end legs fall off if you look at them funny, but a dab of glue should sort that.
- It doesn't fold up at all - while it's 'compact' (i.e. a bit small) it can't just be tucked away unless you have a decent-sized hole in which to tuck.
- The hinged support arm is clipped to the main frame with a pin - to change the elevation you tug it out, line it up and slot it back in. It's perfectly robust and not a big deal, but not as convenient as a sliding mechanism if you want to change the angle a few times in a workout.

It comes with clips on the frame to hold dumbells... but only little light ones, which perhaps reflects that this is really more a bench for the smaller person doing lighter weights. Not really me as a 6'2 bloke... though as a newbie it'll certainly do for now. If you want something to grow into or do serious weights on, you might want something a bit bigger.
on 23 August 2012
I was looking for a good quality, sturdy bench and that's what I got when I purchased this item. I've had the bench for a month now and it's serving it's purpose well. The padding is really thick for a bench of this price and the vinyl is good quality. The height adjustment is simple with the pin system. I know some people are complaining about not being able to adjust the seat but I don't find it a problem. The bench length is a bit shorter than other benches but myself and my training partner have no trouble with it and he's 6ft, so it should be ok for most users.
I really think that you'll find it hard to find a better value bench for this price.
on 22 January 2010
Very pleased with this purchase. It was easy to put together and very sturdy.
My son has been using it daily and would definitely recommend. Another plus was the Courier Company City Link delivered 2 days after ordering when the snow was still thick on the ground.
on 28 September 2014
I bought this to use at home to go with my free weights that I bought and to use without weights.

I found that assembling it together was easier than I thought and I managed to do it in a reasonable time with minimal effort (you don't have to be a DIY expert to assemble it).

When I assessed its quality I found that it was made of high quality material that was fit for purpose. It's strong, comfortable and has a quality look and feel to it. The settings give you plenty of different angle options and they stay in place very well during use.

When my personal trainer came around the house recently he was complementary of its quality and said that it was much better quality than he expected given the price tag and found it first class to use. He said that it wasn't far off what he has seen in gyms over the years and would be more than happy to have it in his house.

This bench enables me to do a significant amount of different exercises at home and it didn't cost much. If you are looking for a relatively inexpensive one of these to use at home then I would highly recommend it.

Verdict: Much better quality than I expected

Feedback:
If you wish to provide feedback on this review then please follow the link below.

Thanks