4.0 out of 5 stars Better than some reviews suggest
I carried, unpacked and assembled the machine alone, though an assistant would have been helpful in removing it from the box, as this is an art form!

Assembly is simple and full instructions are given, though I strongly advise discarding the tools provided and using your own.

The self tapping screws really are the correct size for their holes,...
Published on 12 Oct 2011 by Stu

3.0 out of 5 stars Computer Faulty
Published on 19 Feb 2009 by Mike B

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than some reviews suggest, 12 Oct 2011
This review is from: York Fitness R700 Platinum Rowing Machine (Sports)

The self tapping screws really are the correct size for their holes, despite what some other reviewers claim to "know". Self tappers are designed to be a very tight fit... if they were easy to install they wouldn't do their job. I'm a machinist & know a thing or two about this stuff! Think brute strength and ignorance here... and lots of it!
From an engineering perspective, however, captive nuts and locking washers would have been more appropriate. Minus 1/2 point for that.

The machine is very quiet and sits still when in use. Mine produces a slight rumble from the rotor toward the end of the fore-stroke. That may be a construction issue or perhaps just a lack of grease but I don't see it as a big problem.

I am 5'10" and the only height related issue I've found is the extending rowing head... I would like it to extend another 6" so minus another 1/2 point there. Otherwise, there's plenty of room to stretch your legs and a bit extra besides.

Construction is solid and feels like the £300+ you paid for it. Top marks.

My computer has no faults and does not reset itself. I'd guess that issue has been revised & addressed.

The brand stickers do tend to peel off, as per other reviews. Remove them or glue them back on. Either way not a major fault.

All in all a good machine and worth the money.

UPDATE: After around 10 hours use, the rumble all but disappeared, so I'm guessing just a breaking-in thing.
The seat-track still has a perfectly fluid & silent action, though it feels as though something is taking wear. Difficult to see what!
The rowing strap doesn't appear to have worn any, as per other reviews, though I've noticed it can rub on the guide wheels if there's any lateral (side to side) movement in your technique. This could explain why some people ended up with frayed & torn straps.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Quality Item, 14 Feb 2013
This review is from: York Fitness R700 Platinum Rowing Machine (Sports)
Rowing is my primary form of exercise following a heart/lung op a few years ago. I keep fit by rowing at sea fairly regularly but with advancing age (I'm now 60) even a dry suit couldn't get me out there in the latest cold snap. I'm not a lover of rowing machines but Gym's require regular fundings, getting there etc. but I have always viewed home equipment as generally very inferior, particularly if, like me you are well over 6 foot and 100Kgs. I bought the York purely on the stength of reviews and it was a good decision. Firstly those who marked it down because of self tapping screw problems simply don't know what a self tapper does, it makes its own thread! That makes it hard to screw in - use a decent Phillips screwdriver and it's simply not a problem. The computer on mine works fine and the unit is easy to store out of the way - but beware! This is a proper piece of kit - if you could pick it up in one hand it would be too flimsy so realise it's quite heavy, site it where you want and simply close it and stand it on end. One of the best things about it is it is really quiet. I've ended just leaving mine in front of the TV as you don't need headphones like so many gym machines. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Sturdy Machine Suitable For Taller People, 18 July 2009
This review is from: York Fitness R700 Platinum Rowing Machine (Sports)
Ordered using express delivery and delivered next day by City Link on a Saturday morning - excellent service!

I can verify a previous review that the four self-tapping screws simply do not fit the holes, but I remedied this problem by drilling out the holes using the next-size-up drill bit, and then the supplied screws fitted just fine.

I am 6'5" tall with a 35" inside leg, and this machine is plenty big enough. I can fully extend my legs whilst rowing, and the seat doesn't touch the safety stop at the back of the slider bar. The machine is sturdy and heavy (36kg) and doesn't feel like it's going to break during an intense workout.

I read problems about the computer re-setting when set for a specific workout program, which almost put me off buying it, but you don't have to set a workout program for it to monitor and display your time, distance, speed (minutes per 500M) and burned calories. It automatically comes on and starts counting as soon as you start rowing.

Overall I'm very happy with my purchase, especially since the Amazon price was over £50 cheaper than on my local High Street!

4.0 out of 5 stars A good exercise option, 6 April 2011
This review is from: York Fitness R700 Platinum Rowing Machine (Sports)
When I needed an exercise option I looked at many options. I finally settled on a rower. Then was faced with a variety of types and price ranges!

I wanted something that was easily stored and effective as an exercise option too.

The York R700 is both and it is reasonably priced too.

Delivery was good and assembly was simple although some of the grub screws were difficult to tighten home!

We have used it daily now for over a month and it is all I hoped for

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Rowing Machine, 22 May 2011
V. Voelschow "maclali" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: York Fitness R700 Platinum Rowing Machine (Sports)
I've had the York R700 Platinum Rower for just over two weeks now and it's brilliant especially for the amount of money spent on it.
I wasn't sure I should buy after reading in other reviews that the computer didn't work properly, but went for it as this seemed to be the only negative issue.
When my machine arrived I assembled it quite quickly on my own, it was that easy. As mentioned some other reviews the screws are a bit tricky to screw in, but I managed that fine, too.
The padded seat makes rowing very comfy and the resistance levels are very good and can be adjusted quickly. I had a fan rower before which was quite noisy, so was hoping for a quieter rower this time and wasn't disappointed. This is quiet enough, even with more vigorous rowing not to disturb a sleeping baby in the next room and you can still comfortably listen to the radio or watch TV while rowing without turning up the volume.
I discovered the problems with the resetting of the computer the first night I used it. It didn't only reset when setting a target, but reset all the time after 1-2min. So I e-mailed York Fitness the next day with the serial number of my machine and my proof of purchase and received a new computer within 3 working days and that one is working fine. It displays all the important information like stroke rate, time, calories, distance rowed in m and km.
Definitely would recommend this rower to anybody looking to get fitter!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, great price - I'm delighted with mine!, 7 Feb 2014
This review is from: York Fitness R700 Platinum Rowing Machine (Sports)
I bought this despite some poor comments on the quality in previous reviews. It came well packed in a packaging which stressed it is a heavy product - it even stated which was the heavy end. It was very easy to bolt together and get the computer working (batteries supplied), but I did require a screwdriver rather than the tool supplied (an alum key with a Philips head on one end). The machine is really sturdy - I agree with another reviewer who said that it compares well with the much more expensive Concept 2 rowing machine that I've used in gyms. The straps all seem robust. Great price!

4.0 out of 5 stars Rowing machine, 20 May 2009
Syd Fraser (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: York Fitness R700 Platinum Rowing Machine (Sports)
Good quality product, well packaged for transport and easy to assemble.
I had a small problem with the Computer, but this turned out to be only dirty battery contacts. Otherwise it is a smooth machine in use and the runner slides well.
The base reduces in length with one locking pin and then the whole thing tilts vertical so storage is easy and relatively compact.

5.0 out of 5 stars Concept II for 75% less, 22 Jun 2011
This review is from: York Fitness R700 Platinum Rowing Machine (Sports)
2 workouts in and I am struggling to see the difference from my old gym rower, Concept II. Yes the 6 screws are a tad reluctant but nothing a good screwdriver won't cope with. The computer is behaving itself so far. The mechanism is smooth, pretty quiet (enough to hear the dvd on normal level) and challenging and I'm on 6 out of 8 so more to work towards. It's good and I'm pleased. Time will tell on its durablity.

3.0 out of 5 stars Computer Faulty, 19 Feb 2009
This review is from: York Fitness R700 Platinum Rowing Machine (Sports)
Everything about this product was great apart from the Computer. It has a fault were, if you set a certain distance or time and start rowing, the computer will reset itself after a few seconds of rowing or minutes, before you have reached the target. This was extremely annoying and so I phoned York and they said they were aware of the fault. If they were aware of it, why is this product still being sold?! They couldn't give us a exact date when this computer could be fixed and advised us to return the product back. Apart from the computer problem, it was a good machine to use.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant rowing machine, 1 Mar 2012
This review is from: York Fitness R700 Platinum Rowing Machine (Sports)
The York R700 Magnetic/Air rowing machine is brilliant. It' arrived quickly and was well packaged. In addition, it was easy to assemble (took about 1/2hr) and use. A particularly handy feature if this rower is that it can be easily folded for storage whilst it is not in use. Finally, in terms of price I believe that this item is well worth the cost as it is well built.

York Fitness R700 Platinum Rowing Machine