5.0 out of 5 stars Great purchase, excellent machine
This product is an excellent buy at the price and I am exceedingly pleased at my purchase. I bought this over an year ago and have used it consistently since then. It is very well made and lets you get on with your exercise.

Pros:
Published on 11 Jun 2009 by wolfcub

3.0 out of 5 stars Gets you fit just just building it!
Published on 4 Jan 2008 by Shilen

5.0 out of 5 stars Great purchase, excellent machine, 11 Jun 2009
This review is from: York XC530 Elliptical/Cycle (Sports)

Pros:
* Very sturdy in my experience. Once put together properly, the equipment is rock solid. The equipment parts are heavy for a reason; you'll appreciate the sturdiness once you start using it. The handlebar movement was smooth and fluid, and more importantly, has continued to remain so.
* Quite feature rich as detailed above. Seat can be adjusted for height and reach. Footplate can be fixed in one of two positions. Resistance levels can be adjusted. Hand pulse sensors to monitor heart rate. Recovery mode to indicate how well your heart rate recovers in a 60-second period at end of exercising.
* LCD control at the front is really well laid out. The screen is split into a top and bottom section. The bottom section shows rpm, time, distance, calories and pulse. It shows a running count of time, distance and calories which ticks over at 99, unless you're using it a target mode where it counts down to zero from the target. The top section cycles through each of rpm, time, distance etc at 10-15 sec intervals. The LCD panel probably was the single biggest factor in motivating me to keep working out - the fact that I can visually see how much effort I've put in.
* Silent! If put together properly, it works without creaks and aches. After several months of use, it did start creaking once, but application of oil at the creaking joints and it has stayed silent since.
* Quite compact for a crosstrainer. The base of the crosstrainer bars jut out a bit during use, but not by much. For a person like me who doesn't have too much space to spare, it's an ideal buy.
* It's easy to move around on a flat surface. The rubber treads are excellent in this regard. I've never had the trainer move when exercising, yet the rubber treads really do make it easy to move the trainer around. They don't leave any marks on the floor either.

Cons:
* Can be difficult to put together. It is the toughest piece of equipment I've assembled; it took me around 2 hours to do it. I don't recollect the total number of parts involved, but there were quite a lot. Some of the parts are quite heavy and assembling them without a second person around can be a thrilling experience. The instructions I seem to remember being a bit cryptic. I finally relied on the engineering-style machine drawing showing the parts fitting together as that seemed easier to follow.
* Disassembling it for any reason is even harder. I tried it once and I failed. I've since decided that I'm not disassembling it when I move house as I'm not willing to spend the time and effort it'd take to disassemble and then assemble it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Quality and amazing amazon discounted price., 28 Mar 2011
This review is from: York XC530 Elliptical/Cycle (Sports)
The manual must have been re-written since the 3 star review in January 2008 by Shilen. Putting the XC530 together takes a couple of hours but it is fairly straight forward and I found the manual easy to follow.

Pros: a Very sturdy piece of equipment. A lot of home gym equipment is cheap useless rubbish. The XC530 is well above average and is amazing value at half price from amazon. It has a good sized display showing target time, target distance, target calories, target heart rate, recovery fitness test. Does not need to be plugged into the mains.

Cons: Display is not back lit. I can only describe the other cons by reference to a similar cross trainer/bike, the Reebok Edge Combo Exercise Bike and Cross Trainer. If you want some built in exercise programs, which automatically vary the resistance of the cross trainer, then take a look at the Reebok. If you want to save a couple of hundred pounds and have some thing which looks to me to be just as good (but without the exercise programs) then buy the York CX530.

If you are a bit of a gym equipment novice (like me) then I would strongly suggest you get down to your nearest sports equipment shop and try a few of the cross trainers and bikes. Do you really need this two in one or would a dedicated bike or cross trainer be best for you?

This is what you want to look for: Front wheel vs back wheel. When the wheel is on the front the walking motion is more of a stride, compared to a wheel on the back, which introduces slightly more of an up and down motion. So a back wheel is good when doubling up as a bike, if that's what you want. A bigger wheel will give you more length in your stride. The difference between home gym equipment, costing 500 or less, and professional gym equipment, costing 2000 or more, is not simply a matter of the professional equipment being more robust. A cross trainer at your local gym will give you much greater range of movement (longer strides) than you will get from home equipment. The variation in difficulty levels will also be much more controllable and it will have a lot of different training programs to choose from.

Do you really need home gym equipment or would a twenty minute walk every day be better for you? Some of the better home exercise DVDs can give you a good all over workout in 10 to 30 minutes a day.

So, why did I buy the XC530 and how am I going to use it? I'm 50+ and getting a beer belly. I work from home and keep putting off going to the gym (I'll do it tomorrow). I bought Tony Hortons 10 Minute Trainer (it's very good. If you are a beginner, then go at your own pace and not the pace set in the videos). I do one of his 10 minute routines every morning. Yes, I use the calendar/chart supplied with the 10 Minute Trainer to keep track of which exercises I'm doing. But I need more, I want to burn off some calories and feel fitter, ie I need more cardio exercise. The XC530 is perfect. Big enough to be a serious and useful piece of equipment. Small enough not to completely swamp the bedroom. Mid afternoon I have a 20 minute burn on the XC530. Brilliant, only 3 days into my exercise routine and I was already feeling fitter. Put a TV in front of the XC530 if you get bored easily.

NOTE 1: A lot of people start exercising with good intentions then slacken off and give up. Make a chart of what you want to do each day/week, then tick off what you do as you go along. Build in days off here and there and reward yourself with a little treat every time you complete 5 or 6 days on your chart (2 or 3 days if you want). Be realistic. How much time do you have to exercise? Even a good 10 minute workout in the morning 3 days a week will make a big difference to your health. It's better to do a little and keep going that try to do too much and give up.

NOTE 2: If you eat junk then exercising will improve you stamina but not your shape. You don't have to eat less, just don't eat junk, or eat less junk. Google 'michi's ladder' for a simple guide to good food/junk food.

5.0 out of 5 stars The XC530 is GREAT...!!!, 9 Feb 2008
This review is from: York XC530 Elliptical/Cycle (Sports)
Excellent piece of equipment to excercise with, you will really notice after a few minutes of training.
The instructions are a bit "annoying", as the bolts, spring washers, washers, locknut heads???...etc, don't come with the name next to it, as this will make everything much easier, otherwise if you follow step by step there shouldn't be any problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a purchase!!!, 15 Jan 2008
J. Blythe (Warrington UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: York XC530 Elliptical/Cycle (Sports)
Well, I have to say that I think the other people who have reviewed this are being a little unfair with their stars!!! I had reviewed this on other sites before coming here and everyone is giving it 4 or 5 stars.

I wont deny that it took me and the missus 1.5hrs to put together, but all went smooth and I didnt think it was particularly difficult. If you've ever put flat-pack furniture together, then this is no different. But two people is a big help in a couple of situations.

After trying it out, I was well chuffed (although shattered after 15mins). The movement quality is fantastic, very sturdy and very smooth. Even better than I had expected. I do quite a bit of cycling and I must say that the cycling motion feels a little weird - but hey, you cant have everything. All in all, I would recommend this, I have seen a lot worse for a lot more cash and I have yet to see anything better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Choice, 17 Jan 2008
This review is from: York XC530 Elliptical/Cycle (Sports)
I figure I have made a great choice here - what a find at this price, well done Amazon.

I have to admit I was a bit put off by the first reviewer's notes but after reading a few others on various web sites I took the plunge.

I agree that putting it together is a little involved but nowhere as bad as the first reviewer makes out. I found it very easy - 1.5 hours by myself. Everything provided including useful spanners and allen keys. Instruction book has detailed instructions and close up photos.

The movement is great, quiet and an excellent work out with an action like cross country skiing - probably one of the best aerobic activities around. There is a built in pulse monitor that is accurate and fast to react to changes in heart rate.

To sum up, this is an excellent bit of kit for home use and probably almost as good as the Trainers you'll find in a gym. It is not hard to put together, it is sturdy and well made. If you are thinking of buying a Cross Trainer, give this some serious consideration.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality piece of equipment, 19 May 2010
P. Laidler (Wisbech, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: York XC530 Elliptical/Cycle (Sports)
I received my XC530 this morning. Ordered this model as I wanted to buy a cross trainer but my wife wanted a cycle. This was the best of both worlds and whilst I expected a compromise I was surprised to find that this model works brilliantly as either so we will both be pleased.
The worst part was trying to get the box in the house on my own - this thing is heavy so best to open the box and take it piece by piece.
Layed out the pieces and the instructions. All the nuts and bolts are shrink wrapped to a piece of card with no's on it so you can't go wrong with them and the parts are clearly marked as left or right where necessary. The tools you need are also included which is a great touch. Instructions were very easy to follow and it took me a little over 1.5 hours to do it on my own. I could have done it quicker but I took my time with it and enjoyed putting it together.
All of the pieces were absolutely rock solid - very well made and fitted where they were meant to go without any problems. No forcing or fiddling was necessary at all.
Once up I tried it out. The tension knob works very well. Make sure this is set to the lowest setting when you first get on or you may have trouble getting the pedals to go in the right direction until you are used to them. At the lowest setting, however, everything is easy to work and you can get used to the motion, which is very smooth and not at all awkward. Even in cycle mode the pedal motion seems fine. At higher settings the tension is great and you can feel the difference at each notch setting to get exactly the workout you want. If you wish to sit then the seat is fully adjustable and can be moved up/down, forward/backward, and even angled to get it just right. The handlebars are easily moved up or down using a knob depending on whether you wish to sit or stand. Whilst sitting and not using the handles I did not find their movement off putting at all - if you wish to do this then just raise the handles to their standing position.
Overall a solid, quality piece of equipment which works brilliantly either as a cross trainer or cycle. Easily assembled and very impressive. So pleased that I didn't go for anything cheaper - this thing really is worth the money and if you register it your guarantee will be extended to 24 months.
Highly recommended - I'm over the moon with it and definitely made the right choice

5.0 out of 5 stars York XC530 Elliptical/Cycle, 15 Mar 2009
Albert (Northampton) - See all my reviews
This review is from: York XC530 Elliptical/Cycle (Sports)
Excellent buy. Very solid machine and good value for money. It does take 2 to put it together and take a couple of hours, but well worth the effort. It really is as good as the machines in the gym, so have cancelled my gym membership. Am only using at level 3 as it is a great way of keeping trim, and am sure if I upped it to level 5/6 it would be very easy to bulk up. The biggest advantage over a traditional cross trainer, is that as it is also a cycle you can slow down and use differnet muscles without stopping so very easy to work out while watching TV. Really pleased as I am quite demanding as I am used to playing squash and this machine gives you a great cardiovascular workout.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good machine - reccommended., 7 Mar 2008
C. J. West "CJW" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: York XC530 Elliptical/Cycle (Sports)
The instructions & tools provided are adequate to carry out assembly by any practical person.

It would be as well to identify each & every fastener in the blister pack with their part number; to avoid mis-assembly. There is no correlation between the blister pack & the instructions.

The design of the item is robust enough for for the domestic environment.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excelent value and quality, 15 Mar 2009
This review is from: York XC530 Elliptical/Cycle (Sports)
The quality of this machine is excellent. The manual I found perfectly clear and the tools supplied were perfect for the job - no others were required. It took me about 1.5 hours by myself to build it but I really can't understand why this should be a problem. The quality requires that it is built properly and if you would rather have a machine which is built in 30 mins but falls to pieces soon afterwards then don't buy this one. There are just a couple of things I would change - the computer isn't brilliant. I am actually using one from my old York machine which I preferred mainly because the new one is more difficult to program. The other thing is the seat - it is very low but maybe there is a safety reason. Other than that I would thoroughly recommend it. I have found York equipment to be very reliable and robust.

3.0 out of 5 stars Gets you fit just just building it!, 4 Jan 2008
Shilen (Wolverhampton) - See all my reviews
This review is from: York XC530 Elliptical/Cycle (Sports)
I have to agree with the other review regarding building this thing, the huge selection of nuts and bolts together with an instruction manual making reference to codes that dont exist makes building this equipment an exercise in its self!! Have someone help you build it, there are a couple of times that an extra pair of hands are needed and many times where two brains are needed!!

Having got in built in an impressive 2.5 hours the bike looks and feels substancial and after having a couple of goes on it I am impressed, a little dissappointed that the speed is in kmh and the distance is in km as I prefer to work in mph and miles - there is no way to adjust the units so I will have to live with that, the seat is comfy and the movement is smooth and nothing has fell off yet so its scores plus points there.

For the price this is a bargain, the nearest price I found to this was 75 more soo if you opt for this equipment this is the place to buy it from!

York XC530 Elliptical/Cycle