Format: Audio CD|Change

on 12 January 2015
This was a present, and understand it was very good
on 7 April 2015
More than blues from Joan Armatrading
on 18 December 2015
Very Good, Very Happy, Very Pleased.
on 5 June 2007
I may be reviewing this too early, before I have had chance to fully appreciate it. All I can say is that on first listen this is an exceptional album. The combination of Joan's deep soulful voice and the superbly produced Bass 'n' drums sound topped by delicious bluesy guitar riffs makes this a 'must buy'. This is not a standard 12 bar blues album but a set of original songs delivered in a blues style. Eat your heart out Mr Clapton.
on 9 March 2016
It is a very good album.
on 3 September 2007
Afraid this is going to just be short as I'm short on time but had to pass on the reccomendation. It's a terrific album, maybe the best she has ever done (OK maybe not quite but close) and I've been playing it for months. Highly reccomended another like this please!
on 25 May 2007
Hmmm....must be getting old but I'm disappointed. It all sounds a bit of an effort with the voice sounding like a Joan caricature at times (she actually comes across a bit crackers on a couple of tracks). Not as consistently well sound engineered as even the earliest Joan recordings either. Die-hard fans only need purchase IMHO.

On reflection in 2009, this has grown on me, and I now find its variability a strong quality which, if I'm in the mood, I like. FOUR STARS.
on 17 November 2008
an album which leaves you with mixed feelings, unlike Joan's previous albums, which are full of rich memorable melodies. Into The Blues is a much more uncompromising album.
What makes the album particularly bluesy is the liberal use of a vocal style in the vein of Muddy Waters ( mannish boy ) and John Lee Hooker ( repeticious lyrical talk).
There are some knockout tracks , and others that just didn't work for me, but there is some very smooth bluesy guitar splashed around all over the album, and most people will love this.
There are quite a few archetypal blues/rock riffs a la Status Quo but with a few unexpected twists - eg on Liza, one of the best tracks, there is a variation on the normal expected chord change which sounds dischordant because the voice stays in the original key . but it works!........ also there is a complete change of rhythm and feel to the song halfway through where it breaks into a very catchy poppy wah wah
girl bantering chorus line.
The eponymous song, Into The Blues has some very effective fragmented piano beneath the lyrics , and some nice bluesy guitar.
Major Blue Eyes is simply a strumming guitar and vocal, with a Dylanesque harmonica solo in a minor key and the guitar still in the major, but again it seems to work!
Mama Papa is superb as an ode to her parents, with some great and moving lyrics.
Track 2 - Play The Blues, is quite catchy, but actually not a blues number at all !
I thought one or two numbers were weak or just plain boring - eg Secular Songs.
There are not really many melodies on this album, no actual songs of the type we are used to from her , it's more 'catchy riffs', 'bluesy guitar licks', 'catchy vocal lines', 'punchy rock beats', 'discordant moments', 'talking like John Lee Hooker'. So it's definitely a departure , but with the same familiar voice to keep us from getting too panicky , and to ensure that we do listen to it to discover what's there.
A good effort, we can agree she must have enjoyed doing it.
on 15 January 2015
Great
on 4 March 2008
What a lovely album, playing it in my studio and it just gets better & better.