4.0 out of 5 stars just a little bit of buff-fluff
I love how evenly reviews for this movie are spread - half for and half against, with just one 3 star rating in the middle. Therefore I've decided to tip the scale and say - 4 stars - because I enjoyed it.

Published on 30 Nov. 2010 by R. L. Judd

3.0 out of 5 stars Glossy, teen friendly supernatural thriller
Published on 11 April 2010 by Mr. Stephen Kennedy

3.0 out of 5 stars Glossy, teen friendly supernatural thriller, 11 April 2010
Mr. Stephen Kennedy "skenn1701a" (Doha, Qatar) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This gothic overtoned movie is first and foremost a teen movie, and then secondly has some supernatural thriller elements. If approached on that basis, it's quite passable and indeed quite slick in it's production. The story is Twilight - lite, but transposed to the world of witches rather than vampires, and with far less teen-angst. Four teenage friends in Ipswich hold a secret - they are actually descendents of witches, and have special powers.. powers which are magnified when they reach their 18th birthday. However, the powers come at a terrible cost. Two newcomers to the private school they attend make things complicated - a beautiful woman (mmhh.. wonder what happens there, then...) and another schoolboy - who turns out to have a link to the other 4. The hero finds himself having to choose what to tell the lady about his secret - and just maybe he will have to make a decision... his powers, or the girl.
It's not rocket science, and holds few surprises. The cast are all standard eye candy Hollywood teens, the school seemingly entirely populated by perfect specimens. The production looks glossy but is brilliantly clear in this bluray transfer - The dark scenes (and there are plenty of those) are crystal clear, the condensation in the obligatory "woman-feels-like-she-is-being-watched-in-the-shower" scene actually feels real, and the few special effects scenes - the car crashing into the truck, for example, are just vivid enough in HD in sight and sound to help wake you up just when you are getting bored with the dragging plot. Watch out for the surprisingly convincing cgi spider.
The ending feels more like a set up for a sequel than a satisfying resolution in itself, but overall if you're not expecting much - there are worse ways to kill a couple of hours. Movie making by numbers, perhaps - but the numbers add up to passable if unsurprising entertainment.

2.0 out of 5 stars Harry Potter can kiss my..., 3 Feb. 2007
EA Solinas "ea_solinas" (MD USA) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Covenant [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
Just consider it a male version of "The Craft" -- "The Covenant" is basically a flimsy witchcraft story dressed up with lots of male eye candy. The candy is nice for the eyes, but it would have been nice to have a little meat for the brain as well.

Ipswich has four (used to be five) witch families, and the eldest son inherits a dangerous bunch of magic in his early teens, before coming into his full power at eighteen (do I smell another magic/sexual maturity analogy here?). They mainly use these powers as... well, the way you'd expect any teen boys to. But then the body of a student is found in a car, and the sons of Ipswich are suspected.

And Caleb Danvers (Steven Strait) starts to figure out that something weird is happening -- ghosts, magical peeping-toms, and a mysterious student who just transferred there. Not only must Caleb stop the magical attacks -- but keep his own burgeoning powers under control too, as he confronts the secret enemy.

"The Covenant" is pure fluff from start to finish, and at times it feels like it isn't aspiring to be much more -- the plot is quite basic and rather suspenseless, since the bad guy practically has a "REALLY SINISTER AND CREEPY" sign around his neck -- and a five-year-old could guess who he is just by the backstory.

In a way, it feels bad to kick such an unpretentiously popcorn movie, but it could have been way better -- instead, it's loaded with with cliches galore. There are a few cool scenes, such as a car flying apart and reconstructing -- quite nice, visually speaking.

But the rest of the time, it's just predictable and rather cheesy -- dialogue is extremely teen-movie ("You ready to say "uncle"?" "I'm ready for you to go to hell!"), and the climax is like a magic-powerball-throwing fight from a bad children's anime.

The actors are there basically for the looks, and they form a pretty typical circle -- good boy, shy boy, bad boy, and mischief-maker. Not great acting, but most of them won't make you openly cringe. And of course, they toss in some teen-movie starlets, who don't really register, as the token girlfriends.

"The Covenant" is pure popcorn, with a load of cliches -- might be fun for a watch after two A.M., when nothing else is on. During daylight, there are countless better things on.

4.0 out of 5 stars just a little bit of buff-fluff, 30 Nov. 2010
R. L. Judd (Oxford, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Covenant [DVD] [2007] (DVD)

Okay, the plot is (at best) basic and (at worst) times confusing and I wont confess to having understood all the dialogue however it had some great set pieces (like a car that breaks apart and then reforms to avoid a collision and the battle sequence at the end, where the two guys 'magic battle').

I thought it was fun to have a male-spin on 'The Craft' (which 'The Covenant' shares alot of similarities with) and the fact that these four buff guys call themselves witches was a fun twist. The Covenant lads are also 'One Tree Hill' hot and the several swim team scenes added nothing to the story but allowed these wideboys to strip down to their trunks and stand around looking at each other (any excuse, eh?).

This is a film where the special effects cost more than the cast and I don't mind that. If you want a hunkier Harry Potter, or a gay 'Craft', or you're just happy watching anything, then you cannot go wrong with 'The Covenant' - sexy-bad-boy-buff-fluff-magic-nonsense is always a winner with me!

5.0 out of 5 stars my kind of chick flick, 21 May 2012
Su (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
I can't understand why people complain about the "depth" of the story when this film was obviously designed to be a bit of fun. I would suggest they try Shakespeare - but they'd probably pick fault with the plot holes in Macbeth, Henry V, etc.

It makes a nice change for us females to have a fluffy action film with five attractive male leads to drool over, rather then the usual nubile young females struting around in their bra and panties or flashing the flesh for no apparent reason.

Yes, the script is a little on the lightweight side but so are the Hammer Horror Dracula, Frankenstein and Mummy scripts. As for any plot holes, due to theatrical time constraints there are bound to be bits that have been left on the cutting room floor. I, personally, would like to have seen a full edition of this film with the extra footage included on the dvd release.

The extras are poor but they are the same as the American version so I can't really complain (what am I saying of course I can complain - were are the outtakes, the cast commentaries, and the other items which usually come as standard?)

I'll be honest with you - I like this film, I like it a lot, and I'm not going to apologise for that. It is one of the few films that I can put on my computer and watch while I do my work, or put in the dvd player and watch with family, including my mother. It's nice to have a film that isn't dependent on foul language and nudity to try and keep your attention because it has little or no story.

I read the reviews of this film and though I'd make up my own mind - I would suggest that you do the same.

Possible spoilers be here - The Coventant involves our five handsome leads, and a couple of nubile girlfriends thrown in for the male viewers. Four of these boys have been raised together "like brothers", the other should have been part of the group but it was believed that his bloodline had died out during the Salem Witch hunts. When the boys turned 13 the received limited "witchcraft" abilities and the knowledge that using these abilities are addictive and each use will shorten their lives - something which no-one explained to the fifth boy until it was too late and he was an addict. At the age of 18 they will gain their full powers, Caleb is due to assend to his full power when the film starts and what follows are the discovery of Chase's true identity, the reasons for the fifth boys appearance at the private school and the build up to the final battle.

I don't go for "chick flicks" all that romance, I much prefer action - like I said - this is my kind of chick flick. Some good looking male totty with added action, and limited slushy bits. Nice :)

5.0 out of 5 stars A good teen film, 5 Oct. 2014
This review is from: The Covenant [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
I bought this as my daughter loved it when she saw it a few years ago, shes 17 now, it appeals to anyone who enjoyed the twilight/vampire diaries, etc, etc genre, I quite enjoyed it myself!

4.0 out of 5 stars Why is this so hated?, 24 Mar. 2007
Caedesdeo (Sheffield, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Covenant [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
Ok, as one of the other review mention this is basically 'the Craft' with boys instead of girls. Yes, it's mildly brainless fluff but that's the entire point. It isn't meant to be a deep, intelligent film- it's meant to be something you can watch to swith off.

The special effects are incredibly decent for a film without a massive budget- they aren't overdone, they look realistic, and they're backed up by accurate human acrobatics. The opening scene on the cliff has a wonderful visual impact.

This film is the basic good vs evil teen romance. It doesn't matter if it doesn't make you go away thinking deep thoughts. It's still a good film.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical Men!!, 7 Sept. 2011
This review is from: The Covenant [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
This film was by far one of the best films I have seen that involves black magic, the history and legend stories of witch craft, not only is the story believable but the actors were outstanding - especially a young Chase Crawford 'Gossip Girls - Nate Archibold'. The opening scene where they drop down from the cliff one by one - how awesome and what an entrance. The history behind there family names is very interesting to see in the film and how the fifth 'Witch' family who were exiled from there village, the son comes back and seeks vengeance is quite a nice twist.

4.0 out of 5 stars good fun to watch, 8 Mar. 2012
This review is from: The Covenant [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
liked this film alot, better than i thought it was going to be. liked all the actors and the parts they played, interesting enough story line that kept you watching till the end. as everyone else has said a male spin on the craft, which i think is a good thing, eye candy for both sexes so every ones a winner, would like to see more of these actors and hope we do. will never be the one of the best films made but i think it deserves 4 stars for being entertaining and fun to watch, and lets face it thats what we all want when we see a movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars my kind of chick flick, 9 Aug. 2008
Su (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Craft..... with men, 8 Jan. 2014
I actually enjoyed this i saw it on Channel 5 a few years ago and i thought it was rather good and bought the DVD now years later i bought the Blu Ray and im glad i did not much difference in the sound the picture is incredible tho

The extras are the same as the DVD release. The film is one you can simply put on and tune out for 1h and 30 and just enjoy some easy to watch film also the men are insanely cute!!!

The Covenant [DVD] [2007]
The Covenant [DVD] [2007] by Renny Harlin (DVD - 2007)