5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to set up, works perfectly
Published on 3 April 2007 by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars Using Ethernet adapter
I gave this one star on the hope that people will read this and ignore the 'doesn't work' post, or at least consider what sort of installation they have. Any USB-Ethernet connector should work fine, just get one from a reputable supplied like Amazon or a shop.

There is a misunderstanding and conflict of comments regarding internet connecions.

If you...
Published on 14 Dec. 2009 by Mal

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to set up, works perfectly, 3 April 2007
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I don't have wi-fi, but I still wanted to get my Wii online so that I could download Virtual Console games and use the various internet channels. I was a bit reluctant to buy this because there were no previous reviews, and because it is not an official Nintendo product. I've read on some forums that using this adapter causes error codes which Nintendo Customer Service cannot help you with. There is an official adapter, but it is not available in Europe yet (with no confirmed date for when it will be available).

I have had absolutely no problems with this one however. It is extremely easy to set up (just plug it into the USB port at back of your Wii, connect the supplied ethernet patch cable and then connect this to your router). It even comes with a clear instructions booklet should you encounter any problems.

The one complaint I might have is that the supplied ethernet patch cable is not long enough for my needs, so I have to physically move my router away from my computer and towards my Wii whenever I want to use it. However, I can't really complain about this because a) the ethernet patch cable is a freebie; b) longer patch cables are cheap to buy; c) if I really wanted to, I could move my computer permanently nearer to my Wii!

Buy this without fear of malfunction. You can get your Wii online within minutes. I have already been on the shopping channel and downloaded the (so far) two free channels - Everybody Votes and Opera Internet Browser. They work fine. Using your Wii for surfing the internet isn't as good as I'd hoped for however, as even with a big TV the screen is quite small. But as for this adapter, it does the job perfectly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works like a gem, 27 Dec. 2007
Jagtar Reehal - See all my reviews
This review is from: Datel Wii Lan Adapter (Nintendo Wii) (Video Game)
This lan adapter is a masterpiece, i was struggling getting my wii online due to the weak wireless connection i had in my househould but i recently purchased the lan adapter to see if it would make my console go online and it did. Soon as i connected the ethernet cable(you can use any ethernet cable not only the one you get with the lan adapter) it worked straight away and i was playing online. This is fantastic is you are having troubles connecting your wii online and i would recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wii Wins - but not reliable for long term use, 14 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Datel Wii Lan Adapter (Nintendo Wii) (Video Game)
You need this product to allow you to connect your Wii to the internet - this allows you to do software updates and link your online Wii account with your Wii and thus download games direct to your Wii. I know some people that have used a non-Nintendo Lan adapter and cannot get connected to the internet - this adapter is compatible and works. Once the hardware is set up you have to make a few tweaks to your Wii settings but just follow the instructions and everything is straight forward. Well worth the effort.

NB - just remember you will need some Cat5 cable with an RJ45 connector to connect to your Lan adapter and your internet connection.

UPDATE: 2012 - I also used this in my laptop USB port and it was used practically everyday, unfortunately it eventually died a death and does not work anymore. It did get used many hours each day and for the price I originally paid was worth it - but if you are looking for something similar for your laptop to use every day then maybe look for something more reliable long term. It is fine to use it for the occasional Wii updates though but I would be concerned about using it for anything more strenuous on a daily basis. I opened it up to have a look inside after it stopped working and the quality of the wire connection was very poor. The wires had been bent so much inside the unit that the plastic covering had come away from some wires leaving the bare wire visible - NOT GOOD!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wii Lan Adapter, 15 Dec. 2009
T. Martin - See all my reviews
This review is from: Datel Wii Lan Adapter (Nintendo Wii) (Video Game)
It may surprise a few people in this modern high tech age, that someone would be so paranoid about security when it comes to having an internet connection, to the point where they refuse to have a wireless internet connection, but I am one such person. Blame TV programs like The Real Hustle or my personal level of experience and expertise when it comes to computer security, or simply call me paranoid, but I prefer to take the cautious safe route and it is for that reason, I have bought this item. I prefer to go the old trusty cabled route and having a router, meant I needed an adapter to make the connection to my newly purchased Wii.

Regarding the adapter itself, really there is very little to say, other than that it does as it should, it's small and neat and simply plugs in one end to the Wii via the USB port and takes the cable in the other end, all very simple and logical, which is all you could want or expect from such an item.

As with every purchase I make, I checked out as many available sources as possible, the various delivery prices, delivery times, whether there were 3rd party sellers, several comparison sites and everything you would expect when buying anything online and this particular adapter came out best in every area, not expensive, functional, for sale through a trusted seller and not trying to charge me stupid postal fees.

1.0 out of 5 stars Using Ethernet adapter, 14 Dec. 2009
This review is from: Datel Wii Lan Adapter (Nintendo Wii) (Video Game)

If you have a DSL modem and plug your PC directly into it, and it, in turn, connects to the internet without any setup, you may be prompted to enter your username and password if you have what is known as a PP0E connection. As the Wii does not have this option, these type of connections cannot work whereas a PC does have the ability to enter a username and password.

I suspect most people have an ADSL/Router of one make or another. These usually have a number of ports in the back (all mine have 4) to allow multiple devices to connect to the internet at the same time from your devices. The ADSL/Router needs to be set up correctly and your ISP should have given you instructions, it's usually in the documentation of the router and the ISP specifies any specifics that you need. ADSL/Routers have a way of getting a PC to configure using a web browser.

So, as long as you have an ADSL Router then the Wii will not know (nor care) how the ADSL/Router is configured. If you don't have one and then I would suggest buying one that works for your ISP and has multiple ports. Wireless ADSL/ROuters are pretty cheap and with 4 ports you can leave the PC connected and connect the Wii (have a look at Homeplug if things are in different rooms and you want to avoid wireless for some reason).

I hope the above explains why someone said it doesn't work (they either don;t know how to set up a ADSL/Router, or don;t have one) and the attached comment said they their works fine (they will have an ADSL /Router like I do.
Good Luck

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good product, 4 Jan. 2009
This review is from: Datel Wii Lan Adapter (Nintendo Wii) (Video Game)
This great product has given us a really reliable wired online connection with the wii for games like Animal Crossing City Folk and MarioKart. Initially I bought a crossover cable and tried to connect it through my PC but had a bit of trouble with setting up a network for it to work on my PC. So I rang AOL and asked for an upgrade to a router (as I only had an old modem despite being a customer for almost 10 years they don't give you anything unless you ask...or threaten to leave!) Since then it's worked perfectly through connecting it from the new router to the Wii. I'm going to keep this adapter even when I set up wireless as it's more reliable. Has a nice flashing blue light when active too! Would recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars This work better than WiFi, 24 May 2007
G. Savage "mr_kgb" (London, England) - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Datel Wii Lan Adapter (Nintendo Wii) (Video Game)
I had a WiFi connection to my Wii but there were some interference problems. So I bought this and it works a treat and seems to be faster than the WiFi connection I had before.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works a treat, more robust than wireless, 11 April 2008
This review is from: Datel Wii Lan Adapter (Nintendo Wii) (Video Game)
If like me your Wii would intermittently fail to connect to your router despite setting the Wii up exactly how it said in the manual, then this is a must. Just plug it in, configure the Wii for a wired connection, and that's it, no more lost connections, get all the latest updates and online goodies with no hassle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfectly - connected to a network (LAN), 30 Dec. 2007
This review is from: Datel Wii Lan Adapter (Nintendo Wii) (Video Game)
This is just great. Worked without a hitch, set-up was really easy and quick too.

You do need to connect this to a LAN (Local Area Network) as the product name suggests; this isn't complicated though. If you have a router then simply plug into one of the sockets, you could also plug into a network switch. If not then you may be able to use a crossover cable (not the included patch cable) and plug into your PC if your PC has a network connection.

Once up & running it gives a really quick, trouble-free connection.

Five stars. Definitely.

Gives you all the online things like the voting channel, weather, news, and most importantly the wii shop where you can get all the downloadable stuff!

1.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't get it to work, 1 Oct. 2010
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Datel Wii Lan Adapter (Nintendo Wii) (Video Game)
I have just emerged from a massively frustrating week, trying to get my wii to connect to the internet. It used to connect without difficulty but when I tried to use it to watch a programme on iPlayer (the only thing I use the connection for) it told me that it couldn't access the internet. After much time looking up numerous useless error codes on the internet and trying every conceivable combination of settings, I gave up and ordered this product. I followed the instructions which came with it, plugged it to my network (via a hub, connected to a plug-in range extender) and enjoyed watching its lovely blue light flicker on and off for a long time...before my wii told me that it couldn't connect to the internet (together with another useless error code). Upon visiting Nintendo's entirely useless (for me at least) "help" site, I saw that Nintendo's official position on this is that "LAN adapters not made by Nintendo likely will not work with the Wii console". Great. I suspect that this is not correct and will never know why this piece of kit failed to work for me. Maybe it doesn't work with hubs, maybe it doesn't work with plug-in range extenders, maybe Nintendo are telling the truth and only their adapters will work. All I know is that this adapter did not work for me.

By the way, I managed to get the wireless connection working in the end. Not sure how. Possibly I just bored it into submission.

Datel Wii Lan Adapter (Nintendo Wii)
Datel Wii Lan Adapter (Nintendo Wii) by Datel Direct Ltd (Nintendo Wii)