5.0 out of 5 stars Best song of 2007 so far, 21 Mar 2007
Mr. J. Milton "jambo234" (Brighton) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Our Velocity (Audio CD)
"I'm not a man, i'm a machine".

Must be true, because no five-piece band made of humans could make something as ridiculously good as this.

As Paul Smith and co. take to the mic like a pack of hungry lions, wanting to prove to the world of music how mighty they can be and how they can make the most incredibly outstanding music, they make a pretty strong statement, one that reads like this.

Nothing will top this in 2007.

With more hooks than your average pirate film, there's around 10 gorgeous pop songs packed into one here, the keyboards take a leading role. With an electronic, 80's style sound, it give you an idea of what the Automatic would sound like without the obnoxious vocals of Pennie. Along with that, the lyrics are enraging, unpredictable, all with a meaning and easy to sing along to.

"I've got no one to call/In the middle of the night anymore/ I'm just alone/ With these thoughts" are passionate words which let you stand up and energetically respect every moment of this 3 and half minute "machine".

Machine is an understatement.

5.0 out of 5 stars Speed Of 2007, 18 April 2007
This review is from: Our Velocity (Audio CD)
Maximo Park's eagerly awaited new single,"Our Velocity",does not disappoint.

The chorus of the year has to be "Love is a lie which means I've been lied to-love is a lie which means I've been lying too-love is a lie which means I've been lied to-love is a lie",contained in this short and powerful song of conflict and loss,personal and through the war in the East.

The two other tracks,"Distance Makes" and "Mary O'Brien" are both beautiful in their different ways.The former's lyrics are very visual-

"flattened bodies prone on the floor

Within a rectangle of cool green light

We watch them in the warmth

We breathe beside each other"

and the second song is a tribute to Dusty Springfield.About time someone wrote one in song!

A chic single package from one of the most unusual bands of the early 21st Century.I'm so glad I bought it.You will be,too.

5.0 out of 5 stars First Impressions....., 27 Mar 2007
G. L. Williams "simplygregguk" (South West England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Our Velocity (Audio CD)
When Maximo Park first came around i was a neutral, they weren't bad, but not good in my opinion. An average band. But after i heard this, my view has changed.

What a single! It is so powerful and huge. One of the best singles of 2007!

Buy it!

Our Velocity
Our Velocity by Maximo Park (Audio CD - 2007)