5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful Surpise
Buying an album on the strength of having liked just one single from it (Books From Boxes) is always a risk. It doesn't always pay off, but Our Earthly Pleasures is even better and more consistent than the quality of that single suggested. Having not heard the band's first album, I came to this one with no preconceptions or prejudices about what I was going to hear...
Published on 3 Sep 2007 by Marchespie

2.0 out of 5 stars mildly disappointing
I saw Maximo Park on the TV coverage of the Glastonbury Festival and thought they were brilliant. In my opinion 'Our Velocity' is their best song, which is why I opted to buy this album. Unfortunately, 'Our Velocity' and 'Girls Who Play Guitar' are the only decent songs on here and I am underwhelmed by the rest of the album. An album for devoted fans only, I think.
Published on 13 Aug 2009 by E. A. Banks

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Enough, 4 April 2007
This review is from: Our Earthly Pleasures (Audio CD)
This album is set to be one of 2007's Greatest Albums I think, the opener has an energy about it which you expect from Maximo Park, then the single which of course was a great comeback single, but my personal favourite is Your Urge, it starts off really slowly, and then breaks into a full on rock tune before the end, every song is great on this album, I WONDER WHAT THEY HAVE PLANNED FOR THE THIRD ALBUM, APPARENTLY THEY HAVE BEGUN RECORDING FOR IT

3.0 out of 5 stars anti-climax, 2 April 2007
This review is from: Our Earthly Pleasures (Audio CD)
i really liked the single - and im a big fan of their older stuff, but the new album gets repetitive and stale.

it was a bit of a let down especially after their past stuff was so exciting and refreshing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Maximum Mark, 2 April 2007
R. Williams (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Our Earthly Pleasures (Audio CD)
'Our Earthly Pleasures', the second album from Newcastle's Maximo Park is one of the best albums to be released this year. Following on from their last album, `A Certain Trigger', it is heavier and lyrically, more complex and deep. The focus seems to be on collapsing relationships and communication, and these stories are told within a mesh of extravagant, complex and beautiful lyrics that only the greatest bands will ever achieve.

2.0 out of 5 stars Letdown, 4 July 2007
M. Hiles "arcadiandream" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Our Earthly Pleasures (Audio CD)
The album starts promising enough, with the first, three song's standing out. Unfortunately it doesn't get better, and by the end its hard to distinguish which songs which. No real direction, and a case of hearing it all before, your waiting for something to jump out and grab your attention, yet the album loses its way with an overwhelming sense of blandness. Dissapointing, bar the first three songs.

2.0 out of 5 stars our earthly pleasures: the paul smith solo album, 5 May 2007
This review is from: Our Earthly Pleasures (Audio CD)
i agree with all the other people here talking about how amazing 'a certain trigger' was, because it was- as it was a group project. this follow up is simply paul smith on his own with some backing artists. he rampages over the songs and songwriting with an air of arrogance and severe lack of ideas. there is none of the post-1980s stop-start feel that ACT had, and there is only one solo on this whole album, showing how much smith now dominates over presidings.

ACT centreed around the personal, inward aspects of life, and thus became a strong album in both mind and heart, this album seems mainly about being a student. most of the lyrics are bound to simplicity and it even starts badly with the very poor lyric 'youve been with me a year to the day 3 hundred and sixty-five days, watching me decay,' that is lyrical wekaness at its most profound. there arte glimpses of the old style- books from boxes, sandblasted and set free, but these come few and far between. the album could quite easily have consisted oif three tracks and been much the same.

overall its just a very weak follow up, and the slogan for this album should be 'can do better, but will sell'

2.0 out of 5 stars Drivel, 21 April 2007
Jonathan Wilmot (Oxford, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Our Earthly Pleasures (Audio CD)
I enjoyed their first album and having heard the single, and liked it, decided to buy this. 'Velocity' apart though the rest of the album is really rather tedious. It reminds me slightly of all the rest of the boring, lazy indie music around at the moment. If you like Snow patrol, Coldplay and other similar too dull to mention bands then this is probably for you.

Personally I haven't even bothered to put this on my MP3 player yet and I expect it will sit un-listened to and unloved on my shelves until I put it out for jumble...

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish wanna be geordie, 14 April 2007
This review is from: Our Earthly Pleasures (Audio CD)
This really is a horrible album, his billingham twang shines through his on put geordie accent. Boring songs , rubbish voice and awfully unentertaining. Get Kings of Leon - because of the times.

Our Earthly Pleasures
Our Earthly Pleasures by Maxïmo Park (Audio CD - 2007)