5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful Surpise
Buying an album on the strength of having liked just one single from it (Books From Boxes) is always a risk. It doesn't always pay off, but Our Earthly Pleasures is even better and more consistent than the quality of that single suggested. Having not heard the band's first album, I came to this one with no preconceptions or prejudices about what I was going to hear...
Published on 3 Sept. 2007 by Marchespie

2.0 out of 5 stars mildly disappointing
I saw Maximo Park on the TV coverage of the Glastonbury Festival and thought they were brilliant. In my opinion 'Our Velocity' is their best song, which is why I opted to buy this album. Unfortunately, 'Our Velocity' and 'Girls Who Play Guitar' are the only decent songs on here and I am underwhelmed by the rest of the album. An album for devoted fans only, I think.
Published on 13 Aug. 2009 by E. A. Banks

4.0 out of 5 stars Give it a chance and you will love it, 3 April 2007
This review is from: Our Earthly Pleasures (Audio CD)
I couldn't wait to hear this record based on how much I loved "a certain trigger". On the first hearing, I was a bit disappointed though because it didn't quite live up to my expectations. The first 2 tracks explode into life and you're thinking, oh yes, they've done it again but then the pace falls off a bit. But, that's only in comparrison to the first album which is a hard act to follow, let's be honest. You could call this one a grower but you won't have play it more than a few times to become completely hooked. The maximo energy is still here, it's just channeled in a slightly different direction which takes you a little longer to discover, which is not a bad thing at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Only just discovered this gem, 2 Oct. 2009
Mark Shaw "CreweRed" (Cheshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Our Earthly Pleasures (Audio CD)
I am late discovering maximo Park, only really heard them properly for the first year while watching Glastonbury on tv and really enjoyed their set. Wanting to hear more I bought Quicken the heart (which is also a great album) but I soon bought Our earthly pleasures which I have to say is the best cd I've bought this year. It is very catchy and just begs to be listened to over and over again (which I certainly have done!). I'd list some stand out tracks but I think that they all warrant the title, though Books from boxes is possibly just my favourite. So, a great album and a worthy addition to anyones collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amasing, 21 May 2007
This review is from: Our Earthly Pleasures (Audio CD)
Maximo Park are the most underrated band around. But quite frankly I don't care, all I know is I like them and I will be playing this album to my kids saying "I was there at Kentish Town Forum, I wore this CD out playing it so much"

If you are debating whether or not to buy this album, buy it anyway and if you don't like it I'll refund your money out of my own back pocket (terms and conditions apply)

Thats all

2.0 out of 5 stars mildly disappointing, 13 Aug. 2009
E. A. Banks (Ipswich, Great Britain) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly Brilliant, 7 Aug. 2008
Dr. J. D. Mitchell "Jon Mitchell" (Plymouth, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Our Earthly Pleasures (Audio CD)
First lets start with the jargon.

Lyrically mature, musically complex but accessible....OK?

Now the real stuff. Brilliant, catchy tunes, addictive, play it again and again, rousing rock, clever, original, awesome (sorry about that one), big fat smiles, better than Cold Patrol Monkeys and, as a member of a band, damn difficult to play. Buy it, play it, love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars biting, intelligent, high energy indie rock, 7 Feb. 2008
Alister King "Big Al" (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Our Earthly Pleasures (Audio CD)
some said not as good as the previous but they clearly didnt listen; its a direct progression and improvment. rarely do cds have this many good tracks on it but it just keeps on delivering through out. special mention to the awesome Russian Literature. how many somgs do you know about a couple that meet in their favourite section of the library?

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant lyrics, powerful delivery, 23 April 2012
This review is from: Our Earthly Pleasures (Audio CD)
The lead singer's voice is really rich and strong - obviously a really big, fit, guy with an active brain and a real grasp of lyrics.

The band, driving along behind, are equally as good; strong rhythms and chiming instruments make this a great album for fans of University life and the sort of challenges and people you meet there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, authentic energy - get it, 24 May 2007
Gideon Mitchell "Gideon Mitchell" (Hartley Wintney, Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Our Earthly Pleasures (Audio CD)
How could it be better? Beautiful harmonies, the melodies swirl unpredictably, it's driven along with an energy that would wake up a statue and it's so, so refreshing to come across intelligent lyrics.

For me this is one of the best albums since What's the Story Morning Glory. But unlike Oasis, who seem to go out of their way to act and write like nob-'eads, Maximo Park aren't ashamed of using long words and showing that they think.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tales Of Mystery And Imagination, 14 April 2007
This review is from: Our Earthly Pleasures (Audio CD)
"Parisian skies-shadows beneath your eyes

All we have is now..and the arc of your brow"

So sings Paul Smith,frontman extraordinaire of established indie band Maximo Park.This second album,long-awaited,was released just twelve days ago.And what a powerhouse of an album it is.Very different from their debut,but equally as memorable,the only deviation in the lyrical content is that,entwined with the theme of lost love,runs broader themes,including environmental issues,conflict and death,as in the tragic "Karaoke Plays"

("Oh I waited up for you-but you didn't come back home.

I waited up for you..couldn't you come back home?"

and in the single from the album "Our Velocity"

"Throughout the conflict I was serene..I can't outrun the sadness I've seen". This new album,while sounding tighter and rockier in places,still retains that emotional approach which is the core to Maximo Park's songs.Produced by Gil Norton,whose expertise is evident,it has succeeded in being what could have been an album full of songs about "things past"into a melodious,passionate,upbeat,rocking cocktail of delightful tunes.So hats off to him!

The standout track on the album is "The Unshockable",a strong,caring anthem about urban destruction.Paul Smith's vocals and Lukas Wooller's keyboards are exemplary on this track and indeed the album's great strength lies in having Something To Say.

One of Maximo's loveliest ballads "Books From Boxes", a tale of a relationship that has broken down,has metaphors aplenty "Two bodies in motion-this is a matter of fact,it wasn't built to last",and a lovely lilting tune,with an unexpectedly poignant ending.

The "indie opera" continues with "Russian Literature",a powerful,fairly heavy ditty about the slow decay of buildings in our modern world and a parallel between this lament for urban devastation and a fragile romance"We won't be saved-she can't be saved-I can't live my life feeling nervous about tomorrow-I already knew her name".

This album is a definite must-hear,with a beautiful golden thread running through the whole of its songs,making it a standout album of 2007 and worth the price for the emotions and hope stirred by the track "A Fortnight's Time," alone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Album, 7 Jan. 2014
after hours of trawling through my iTunes library to find a decent album to get on vinyl Maximo Park was the one to get and this is there best album to date in my mind, love it and would recommend to anybody wanting to expand there collection also the VINYL comes with autorip :)

Our Earthly Pleasures
Our Earthly Pleasures by Maxïmo Park (Audio CD - 2007)