4.0 out of 5 stars surprisingly good
Published on 17 Mar 2007 by Roxy le foxy

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite enjoyable
As a Robert Pattinson fan, my main interest in this is to see him in action in a very early part and he doesn't do a bad job but still feels like someone learning the ropes. I have to admit, I find Caterine Tate a bit irritating, she was OK in this but I was particularly taken with Holly Grainger who gave an excellent performance. Quite a sweet story about the...
Published on 21 April 2012 by P. Rowe

4.0 out of 5 stars surprisingly good, 17 Mar 2007
This review is from: Bad Mother's Handbook [DVD] (DVD)
I watched this on a whim, and I'm glad I did! At first glance I was a bit apprehnsive about Tate's ability to successfully portray a believable character without going over the top and turning to just making us laugh. However, I was surprised at how much she makes you like/dislike/like her character throughout by connecting with us, which is a hard thing to do! But there were some well placed parts which had me laughing lots (the peanuts!) subtly done but added at just the right places to appear seamlessly with the story and not done just for comedy effect. Watching the relationships between all of the characters and what it means to be a 'mum' was beautifully done, and although I can't place exactly what made it such an enjoyable watch which can be watched over and over... I'd recommend this to anyone looking for a film with heart, but also a funnybone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny Truth, 6 Feb 2009
Trisha Rodrigues (Sanger, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bad Mother's Handbook [DVD] (DVD)
I love Catherine Tate as an actress and thought this movie would be a great addition to my collection. I also like Robert Pattinson and it became a two for one thing.

I really enjoyed this movie. It was funny, truthful and blunt. I enjoyed the story, cried even, and really liked how well put together it was.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cutest movie with talented actors and actresses, 25 Mar 2009
Emily Wu - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bad Mother's Handbook [DVD] (DVD)
Okay, I'll admit, I bought this because Rob Pattinson is in it. I've fallen for this kind of purchase before too: I get to like an actor or actress, then go buy some his/her previous work, which most likely turn out to be disappointing.

Bad Mother's Handbook is an exception though. It's truely a touchy movie, with the little kick of extraordinary humor. More mature mothers are seasoned actresses, the youngest one is also very spicy. Of course, back the reason of this purchase, Rob was absolutely adorable as geeky Daniel. That man IS talented. Who else can pull that haircut and those glasses off and still take my breathe away? Alright, don't answer.

I recommend this warmly to everyone, especially RPattz fans. This won't be a disappointment. Then again, our man never disappoints.

5.0 out of 5 stars now I want to watch this movie again and just be late for work this morning...thanks amazon., 30 Jan 2009
Jenelle L. Omalley "jenellebelle" (canton, Ohio) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bad Mother's Handbook [DVD] (DVD)
loved this movie. charlotte is a believable angsty girl. and I love me some vintage Robert Pattinson, which was my main reason for getting the movie, I'll admit it lol
But Catherine Tate is so good in this too- it actually made me laugh and cry. love that. Now I tivo her BBC America show. I'm a fan.
Loved this movie. wow, this isn't very articulate, I shouldn't have written this so early in the morning. oh well...
you'll like it, get it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good, both sad and funny, 16 April 2009
This review is from: Bad Mother's Handbook [DVD] (DVD)
OK, OK...I admit I bought this DVD because I was curious to see some pre-Twilight Robert Pattinson... (and he does not disappoint, ladies...) but really it's quite good,sometimes really sad, sometimes extremely funny and with a good plot and pace. Women are the main characters in the story, and the portraits of the 3 generations is really interesting and tender. Plus there's the family secret but I won't say anything here... it's all about searching one's identity and finding one's place in the world. Even if it's basically a comedy it's deeper than it looks. Now there are also great comedic moments. Those who love Robert will just adore him in this part as an awkward young man tripping over his own feet. He's very good and even though you won't find him as sexy as dazzling Edward in Twilight, he just wins you over.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another lovable side of Pattinson!!!!, 7 Sep 2009
Yelina Solis "Yeli" (USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bad Mother's Handbook [DVD] (DVD)
The family dynamic is very great in this film... but the main thing that caught my attention was Robert Pattinson's performance. Most people by now know him as the embodiment of Stephanie Meyer's utterly enchanting and practically flawless vampire, Edward Cullen. Which, is what makes this performance all the more intriguing because here, he plays the antithesis of that character. As Daniel Gale, he is the shy, bumbling, sweet-hearted boy who you can't help but sympathize with as he is thrust into the bedlam that is life and love with a pregnant teen. You can't help but love his character and the level of realness he brings to it.

5.0 out of 5 stars I have Robsession so I am very biased, 3 Jun 2009
This review is from: Bad Mother's Handbook [DVD] (DVD)
Wow, what an excelent performance by robert pattinson and actually most of the cast. Pattinson fans like myself are in for a treat with this one as Mr.Pattinson's character is a wonderfully dorky awkward geek. However Catherine Tate was extrememly off-putting. Her accent did not sound convincing and some of her acting was very poor (she sometimes sounded like she was just reading words from a page). The plot is somewhat cringe-worthy and a little too warm and fuzzy in places. All flaws are made up for with Robert Pattinson's hilarious character Daniel Gale.... as I said though; I am incredibly biased.

4.0 out of 5 stars hilarious, 4 Feb 2009
B. D. McBournie (Boston, MA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bad Mother's Handbook [DVD] (DVD)
It's a funny movie with a good message. Definitely recommend it. Catherine Tate is brilliant and the teen awkwardness is to die for!

4.0 out of 5 stars Review of Bad Mother's Handbook, 30 May 2009
This review is from: Bad Mother's Handbook [DVD] (DVD)
This film is a very moving yet funny and touching account of one woman's struggle to deal with all the people who pull her life in different directions. Her aging mother needs a lot of time but the responsibility piles the pressure on her. The slightly delinquent daughter is very well played and Rob Pattinson's incredibly shy but loyal teenager is a delight to watch.

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny funny funny, 11 April 2009
Denise Vosny (Denmark) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bad Mother's Handbook [DVD] (DVD)
Okay I must tell you all to see this one. It's hysterically funny at points and I really loved it! Catherine Tate is fantastic as the mother of Charlotte who gets pregnant at 17. You follow Tate's character Karen alongside Charlotte and the grandmother throughout a year. Daniel Gale played by Robert Pattinson is a great character in this film being the 'helper' when things between Karen and Charlotte doesnt work out due to the unexpected pregnancy and due to Karen being even more upset when she finds out that she's adopted. Its a great movie that shows the relationships between you and your kids, grandparents and grandchildren and teenagers in between. I'm a huge Rob fan so of course I would love this movies since I see it as his best role but I wasn't prepared to just love the whole plot and all the people in it like I do. It's great for a shorter sort of laughing your pants off movie and I will recommend everyone to at least give it a try and then they can always fall in love with it like I did.

Bad Mother's Handbook [DVD]
Bad Mother's Handbook [DVD] by Robin Sheppard (DVD - 2010)