Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Black Friday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Paperwhite Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: Audio CDChange

The partnership of Meyer and Bliss in the Krommer double concerto is fantastic. They bring life to music which has been neglected and they demonstrate that in the right hands, this concerto should be heard more often on the concert circuit. Until that happens, this is a gem of a CD to listen to time and time again especially since it's not only the Krommer that is delightful, because there is more virtuoso yet highly witty and musical performances in the Spohr #2 (Bliss) and #4 (Meyer) from both soloists. Both these Spohr concerti are less performed than the #1 but having heard them on this CD, I am left wondering why that might be.... they are good enough to be held in equal esteem in my opinion.

This next paragraph is by no means an afterthought, because the ASMF and their conductor must be mentioned as being instrumental (pardon the pun) in rounding off this CD as a refreshing album of late classical-early romantic clarinet works with new life breathed into them by top notch performers all round.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
This is a hugely enjoyable disc. I was completely unfamiliar with either Spohr or Krommer, but heard some on Radio 3, liked it, and took a chance on this disc. I haven't much to add to what Maximus has said in his/her review here, other than to endorse it wholeheartedly: the performances are uniformly excellent and the music extremely enjoyable. Highly recommended.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 February 2013
I bought it for the Spohr concertos and I did enjoy them, but I was captivated by the Krommer, whom I confess I'd never heard of.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse