Dead Like Me - Season 2 [DVD]
Format: DVDChange
Price:£12.88+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Yay!! The second (and sadly last) season of DLM finds its way onto DVD.
Again, we see both this life, and the afterlife though central character George.
On the dead side: George is a reaper, collecting souls of people about to die (this prevents them feeling pain and stops them getting left behind in this world). George's team also includes Mason, Daisy, and Roxy and is lead by Rube.
This season we also explore the other characters in more detail; especially Rube's mortal life, and surprisingly vulnerable Mason, with the effects on him caused by his'job'.
My favourite character Daisy also gives hints on her living life, especially towards the end of the series. I enjoyed having the 'Bimbo Blonde' surface scratched away from this character, revealing someone we could all know.
On the living side: George works for a temp agency, Happy Time, 'living' under the guise of 'Millie'. Some of the best comedic moments of the series take place in Happy Time. 'Millie's manager Delores is just too funny, and all viewers will see a little bit of their own managers in the character.
George has now adjusted to the fact that her old life is over, and decides to make the most of this one. This will include boyfriends, and mingling with her co workers at Happy Time.
Also, we once again follow George's surviving family. Her parent's are divorcing, and her younger sister Reggie is entering that frightful period known as puberty. George's grandmother also appears this series.
Well, is there anything negative about this fantastic series that ended far too soon?
While the final episode 'Haunted' is satisfying, and ties up the series nicely, there are still a few loose ends that niggled me. In 'Haunted', Crystal (the receptionist at Happy Time) is searching for 'Georgia Lass' on the computer. Has she learnt George/Millie's secret? Reggie knows George is still around, but has she also grasped the reaper angle. I'm quite sure she has, but it would have been nice to have this voiced. Finally, flashbacks to Rube's mortal life leave more burning questions, which I won't mention here as I don't want to spoil anything.

The Ledger
Putting Life Into Death: Featurette
Deleted Scenes
Photo Gallery
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
It was quite a surprise to find out the reason Showtime hadn't resumed showing a new season of DLM. It is quite disheartening to see such an intelligent funny dark comedy cancelled and replaced by more of the usual "rubbish" that the networks grind out.

The second season of "Dead Like Me" wasn't as strong as the first, but it was pretty close, still very engaging and better than most other television shows on cable and the networks. The main problem with season 2 is that it sets up many interesting questions that were meant to be answered in future seasons, but we'll never get those answers because someone at Showtime decided to kill its best show. In this season we really saw the character of "George" grow up into adult, something she couldn't do while alive. The entire cast was excellent, and the interaction of the "reapers" among themselves and with their "victims" was hysterically funny. There were so many unanswered questions woven into the plots about the reapers that we will never know the answers to. The development of this mismatched group of characters was so interesting, plus the subplot of George's family gave such a deep dimension to the overall story. What will happen to Joy and Reggie? How did Rube die? What was his history? I'm sure the writers would have given us a wonderful ride, if only Showtime stuck with it.

All of the extras are located on the fourth DVD. "Dead Like Me...Again" is an 11-minute featurette about the show. The cast talk about their characters and gush about working on the show. Sadly, the irony is that everyone talks as if another season is in the works when we know that the show has been cancelled.

"Putting Life Into Death" takes a look at how the special effects technicians bring the CGI Gravelings to life and how they pulled off five other effects, such as souls passing through live beings and how the death ripple, when a reaper touches someone before they die, is achieved.

Also included are nine deleted scenes totaling 11 minutes that are not put into context, so, at times, it's difficult to figure out which episode they come from.

Finally, there is a photo gallery featuring some stills from the show. At least we will have two seasons of DVD's to keep the "Dead" alive.
on 23 August 2007
I felt genuinely disappointed when I reached the last episode of this brilliant series - I cant believe it was cancelled it seems that the writers could've got much more mileage from the show if they'd been given the chance. I bought series one from amazon on a whim one day and i'm so glad that I did otherwise this wonderful show would've passed me by. The series has such an original concept and is fresh and funny - a great alternative to the dramatic crime-based shows that I usually watch. The cast are spot on presenting real characters with genuine flaws such as loveable drunk Mason and badass cop Roxy. My only criticism of this brilliant show is the level of swearing. I'm used to hearing bad language in tv shows and films and it doesnt really bother me when its used within context, but I found the fact that the characters' everyday conversation is constantly peppered with swear words unnecessary and a bit distracting.
Should'nt put you off buying it though, just be prepared!
on 15 March 2007
I watched the second episode of series 1 and didn't "get" it, so I gave up. When it came round again, I watched from the beginning. Wow! It is brilliant. I didn't think the first series could be surpassed, but the second series is sublime. The actors are wonderful, the stories will make you laugh, cry, squirm and reflect. Add to this a fabulous Metisse soundtrack (Boom Boom Ba and Nomah's Land) and you have a complete package. One of the episodes in this series has made it to my all time Top 10; that's no mean feat, given the stiff competition from ER (in its early days), NYPD Blue, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Seinfeld, Frasier, Buffy, Angel, Raymond, Two and a Half Men & Wonderfalls.

There's something rather comforting about the idea of soul collectors and I urge everyone with a modest interest in this genre to buy both collections. You need the first episode to understand both the nature of the series and the characters of the lead actors. Everything else will fall into place. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy. If nothing else, you'll re-think post-it notes. And if someone touches your arm today, fear not. It won't hurt and you're on your way to the TV show of your dreams.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Sadly this show about a teenager - whose life was abruptly ended courtesy of a toilet seat falling from a deorbiting space station, but who was picked to be a 'Grim Reaper' - didn't make it beyond the second series before network dolts decided to pull the plug.

This is was a real shame: Ellen Muth's turn as the edgy, disenchanted, disoriented teenage heroine (who is in no respect happy about her own death and new obligations and duties as a reaper) is a tour de force... but, as this second season helps to establish, the show isn't only about Muth's central performance.

'Dead Like Me' was an ensemble cast effort - and although the story centred around the recently deceased Georgia ('George') Lass, her surviving family, her new 'family' in death of reapers, and her day-job co-workers, there were plenty of subplot story lines in this series dealing with George's co-workers and their struggles and helping with the development of their characters. These additional plotlines really started to take shape in season 2.

Happily, despite its premature cancellation, there is a new 'Dead Like Me' production in progress - featuring an almost completely reunited cast (sans Mandy Patinkin).
on 5 March 2015
Brilliant amazing show thats just as much about life than it is about how we treat death. A real shame this was cancelled after only two seasons especially when one considers the constant flood of garbage that is pumped into our homes on a nightly basis on almost every channel. Buy it, you won't be disappointed.
on 2 February 2006
I've liked this tv-show from the very first episode. Very strong actors and story made it to an extremly good thing.
The second season is even better than the first and even if the show was cancelled it at least was gifted with a proper ending and a GOOD one at that!
Even if the extra material is a bit thin, just like the previous season, it is still a very, very good buy!
on 20 January 2013
I was extremely disappointed when this series was scrapped, It only needed a bit of patience and it would have been a very popular show.
The asides were extremely funny as was the witty script. Following George et al and the problems of being deceased and not being able to contact anyone to let them know, and the coming to terms with it was a brilliant concept and was handled in such a way as to be both funny and thought provoking, handling the souls of the frustrated recently deceased who didnt want to be was sometimes cripplingly funny , So all in all this was a treat to see and I wish there was more .
James T
on 13 May 2011
I first saw one or two of this series in Canada and absolutely loved it. I would describe the series as a black comedy with some strong and varied characters. George is an 18 year old girl who is killed by a toilet seat that falls to earth from the MIR space station, her 'life' really begins when she is recruited as a Grim Reaper alongside Rube, Mason, Daisy and Roxy reaping the souls of those about to die in some weird and unusual ways. This is a great box set and I would recommend it highly. Dont be concerned about blood and gore, its not that kind of show.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Season two continued to give a great account of itself as an original and witty series of those about to shuffle from this mortal coil, with a little help from the Reapers. Great stories and sublime acting, this is one show that American audiences let slip through their fingers and thus it ended with series two. Despite it's subject matter, Dead Like Me is a wickedly funny series and a great example of what television can achieve if allowed...just a shame the networks didn't realise what a gem they had.