5.0 out of 5 stars A strong bag with great protection for your pro DSLR gear
Published on 2 Dec. 2009 by Jonathan Pardoe

1.0 out of 5 stars it is not suitable for holding tripod
Although I use a carbon tripod, the outside part also broke. It is not like a Lowepro product. If you want to bring a tripod with you, you'd better choose another one
Published 10 months ago by Bingchuan Wang

5.0 out of 5 stars A strong bag with great protection for your pro DSLR gear, 2 Dec. 2009
I photograph Weddings and portraits etc and I have to travel to most of my jobs. I needed a bag that could carry the bulk of my gear for shoots so after much research I ordered this from amazon. This is a large sturdy bag for carrying a lot of pro camera gear. It is suited to a working or keenly enthusiastic photographer who needs to get camera bodies, a number of lenses, a laptop (15" or under) an external hard drive, cables etc around in a safe and practical manner. I can fit my Macbook 13", Lacie rugged 500GB Hard drive, Sandisk card reader, polarising filters,macbook power cable,Nikon battery charger, Nikon D700 with MB D10 Battery grip with 70mm - 200mm 2.8 VR lens ATTACHED (so its ready to shoot), 14mm -24mm 2.8 Nikon lens, 24mm - 70mm 2.8 Nikon lens 105mm 2.8 Nikon lens 50mm 1.4 Nikon Lens, SB600 Nikon Flash unit, Gary Fong Lightsphere cloudy II diffuser and a can of Lynx vice!

So guess what? its quite big and its heavy! But the cushioning and balance are so good (with waist and chest straps to keep it flush to your back) that even fully laden I can walk a couple of miles. For me its great as I was using several smaller camera bags to carry the gear about and I was leaving things behind. With the Vertex 200 AW Photo you can pack everything in the night before and just grab it and run. It even has a special attachment for carrying a tripod on the back which I have not used yet.

This bag is not for people with a small DSLR and 2 kit lenses, unless they are planning and growing their collection of equipment. You don't need to be fully pro to buy this but don't order this is you are very self conscious about what you would look like with a camera rucksack. But remember if you have a shot you need to get and you want to have a good bit of gear with you, the fact that your bag is on the big side should be the least of your worries! I do recommend this bag as the padding is excellent, space is good (and very easy to customise to your exact set up), build quality is superb and being able to have this much equipment in one bag must a real plus for so many photographers whether they are pro, semi pro or very enthusiastic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for the pro-sumer, 2 May 2009
I got this as I was starting a shaky journey up to semi-professional standard and, it must be said, it has come in very handy. Not only does it look very professional, it is sturdy, hard-wearing and the compartments inside are more than enough to hold a small DSLR camera, three or four lenses and a flash. The notebook slot has also come in handy a couple of times and affords pretty good protection to a small laptop.

The only thing I will say against it is that the tripod holder is largely useless - hence perfect for the "pro-sumer" (more serious than a consumer, less expert than a professional). Any half-decent tripod will add too much bulk and weight to the back, tipping you over. It is also difficult and time consuming to adjust the sliding strap, which doesn't go high enough to securely hold a proper tripod. I expect that the next size up, the Lowepro Vertex 200 AW Photo/ 15.4" Notebook Backpack For Digital SLR & 4-6 Lenses - Black, will be more stable a platform for carrying more kit, including a full-sized tripod. The 300 AW, of course, would be ideal. However, I expect that that would probably go beyond the constraints of standard airline hand luggage allowance while the 200 AW and 100 AW do not.

I, unfortunately, am having to replace my Vertex 100 AW now. I have bought a bigger laptop, so it doesn't fit in the slot at the front any more. Beyond that, and despite some pretty rough use at times, my four-year-old bag is still almost as-new.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great backpack, 2 Aug. 2009
Alberto Ceriana (Pino Torinese, Italy) - See all my reviews
This backpack fits the following items just fine:
Nikon D60 + 18-55 VR lens (attached)
Sigma 70-200 lens (with hood inverted)
Sigma 150-500 lens (with hood inverted)
and I still have lots of space for an extra lens (such as a fisheye which I would like to purchase soon) extra batteries, battery charger, filters...

Oddly enough I use the space for the PC for manuals and magazines. Since this backpack comes onboard when flying a magazine or two is a nice thing to have. So if you don't care about bringing a PC along, use the space alternatively as I did.

I highly recommend this backpack if you have a similar combo of camera, lens and equipment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect fit for my photography kit!!, 26 Jun. 2010
After an year long trial and error process of identifying a perfect backpack for my photography kit, here I am. Though I have used Naneu K3L predominantly, I needed another backpack which is airline carry-on.

This backpack fits my Canon 50D with 18-55mm lens attached, Canon 55-250mm, Canon 50mm, DK wide angle converter, Canon 430EX II, umpteen screw-on filters, Cokin P-series filter holder and square filters, Canon remote shutter and charger. And still have space for a digital compact camera/camcorder. The front pockets hold memory cards (a symbol for used cards is intuitive), close-up and macro screw-ons, additional battery, lenspen, keys, mobile phone. The laptop sleeve accommodates my 14.1 inch laptop with a little of struggle and compression. But thats because its a wide screen laptop. I don't see any use of the tripod holder as I carry my tripod with its carry case because thats lot easier when moving in busy streets, buses and trains.

The build is very sturdy and I would not hesitate to say it is the best compared to other Lowepro models (or other brands for that matter). I can boldly place lenses anywhere in the compartments unlike in other models where I hesitate to place at the bottom and sides. The waist and sternum straps makes me feel more comfortable as they reduce the weight carried on shoulders. Final words, this is the best camera/laptop backpack for a medium level of photography kit. Don't have to look any further.

5.0 out of 5 stars 18inch Laptop compatable. Super quality., 20 Jun. 2010
This review is from: Lowepro Vertex 300 AW Photo/ 17" Notebook Backpack for Digital SLR & 6-8 lenses - Black (Electronics)
My personal reasons for choosing this bag was I wanted to have all my portable camera gear and my 18.4inch laptop together (Acer Aspire 8930G) but also acceptable as hand luggage on an aeroplane. I never realised until recently that camera equipment in a planes hold was void from almost all insurance cover so this bag fits the criteria for cabin luggage all be it 1cm too much in one width which by reading around forums has not yet been refused.
When I first opened the parcel and pulled this bag out I couldn't imagine it passing as hand luggage as its size appeared that huge, but having used a Kata 467 camera bag for the last 2 years for walkabout photography its easy to understand why it appeared so at first.
The straps when adjusted properly are extremely comfortable and even more so than most high end hiking back packs. Its probably worth noting that once you've got the front body buckles connected that you should tweak the rear shoulder straps buckles in and out to find the most comfortable point. These two straps that are connected to the bag back and to a point further down the shoulder straps are in my opinion the most important two adjustments for comfort.
I don't know about anyone else reading this review but another bonus for me when looking at a larger back pack was to gather all my portable camera gear and have it in one bag. With the kata 467 I was juggling items in and out between locations but was often caught out having ejected something at home I eventually needed. With this bag I have everything inside including a 5D2, 7D, 580EX2, 430EX2, 24-105MM, 70-200MM IS L, 180MM 2.8 L Macro, 85mm 1.8 L, 16-35mm 2,8 L, Canon A1 35mm X2 and all chargers cables and ancillaries. The filters and all ancillaries fit in the outer pockets comfortably although expect to juggle some items such as filters if you use a large lens thread such as 77mm, its not an issue but worth mentioning.
Lastly and as a marine upholsterer I can't believe what a bargain item this is. The quality is absolutely top notch and the thought that has gone into it screams photographer. If I were to make this bag for myself I'd be looking at apx 17hrs to complete which would price the end product at £510 in labour alone and without the guarantee you get with Lowepro.
If you want all your portable kit in one bag but aren't expecting to climb Everest with it don't hesitate. I'm even considering the 200AW for more local shoots where carrying my laptop won't be needed.

Update June 21st 2011: I've had two carriers question the size of the bag after finding that the body straps are not included in the maximum bag dimensions as in the listing. I was asked to use the airport cage to see if it fits and it was a squash to get it 3/4 in, however they let me take it on as hand luggage after showing what was inside (by request of the checkout supervisors).

I now use a UK insurance company that covers all the equipment even when in the hold for everything from theft to some idiot jumping on your kit, just in case some airline demands that it goes in the hold but I still haven't had to yet. Great bag!

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 2 July 2010
Alessio Darmanin (Malta, Europe) - See all my reviews
Excellent backpack. Very sturdy, well designed, very good harness. Using it for the following equipment - Canon EOS 7D with EF 70-200mm f4 L IS, Canon EF 17-40 f4 L, Canon EF-S 60mm f2.8 macro, Sigma 120-400mm F4.5-5.6 (big lens), Kenko Teleplus PRO 1.4x and Canon EF 1.4x II Teleconverters. Besides all this, there is still room for another lens. There's also space for my Macbook.

Highly recommended. Over and above, I ordered it on June 24 and Amazon's estimated delivery was July 5 but I received it on July 1!

Update: 28-Sep-2012
Change in equipment mentioned above: Canon EOS 7D with Canon battery grip.
Had this backpack for over 2 years now. Used it a number of times when traveling. I can confirm that it is an excellent, comfortable to carry backpack. In my latest trip I walked for 5 hours on a mountain carrying this (loaded) backpack. Carrying it for so long did not leave any ill-effect on me.

When fully loaded with my gear, the notebook compartment would seem to be just a bit too tight to fit a 14" notebook, though my iPad and a magazine fit in comfortably.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lowepro Vertex 100aw, 6 Feb. 2010
Ms. K. Monckton (Hants, Britain) - See all my reviews
sufficent for dig; camera,400mm,& a wide angle lens,memory cards,mobile phone,nikon 900 flash,filters,and a very good tripod carrier,and other small items,don't forget the bigger the bag,the more weight you will have lug around !!
The shoulder staps&waist straps,I found to be very comfortable. all in all I think the rucksack is very good value.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extreme trekking protection for your valuable gear!, 29 Jan. 2009
murrolo "Murray W" (Edinburgh & London, UK) - See all my reviews
Its a bit of an honour to be the first to review this superb product. If you like to take a lot of photo gear off the beaten track or up mountains, then this is a bit of kit you should seriously consider.

Firstly, its very roomy - deceptively so. And the chunky depth allows lenses to be placed vertically which increases the gear carrying capacity. It comes with a multitude of dividers and once you've customised it to your taste there's plenty of padded panels left as spares. And there's a useful padded outer zipped section for your notebook PC for those of you beaming your pics back to your editor whilst on the move - or if you like to check your emails up a mountain.

Secondly, it's comfortable - for your gear and for you. LowePro's photo trekking experience has been combined with LoweAlpine's rucksack know-how to produce a comfortable 8 point adjustment system with a broad padded lumber waistband to transfer some of the weight to your hips for comfort and crucially for better balance. And the protection for your gear is as good as it gets.

Thirdly, it's just so functional - a real gem of product design and 'knowing your customer'. It has an all-weather cover with a clinch belt to stop it flapping in wind, which is not only water but also dust and sand resistant. The side and back clinch straps for attaching a tripod or other items use the new LowePro "Glide-Lock" system, which allows them to be slid up and down and then fixed to suit the item being carried. Very clever and very stable indeed. It also has a plethora of slip lock attachment loops on the side, back and waistband for Lowepro sliplock pouches for carrying a compact, binoculars or whatever else you need at your fingertips. Inside there are 3 window zippered pockets for filters and other accessories and an additional padded central velcro closing section for a photo viewer or passport hard drive. A nice inclusion. And on the outside, there are two easy access zippered sections for storing even more bits and bobs - including nice padded pockets (4 of them) for additional memory cards. It just has everything you could possibly need in a photo rucksack. Be sure to check out the demo video on the LowePro website to verify what a masterpiece of a bit of kit this is.

All-in-all, this is a fantastic piece of equipment for those of you who take your precious photo gear to wild places. And for climbers and hillwalkers, this is the camera protection we've all been waiting for. Simply superb.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lowepro Vertex 100AW, 1 Nov. 2009
Needed a bag that could carry my camera and bit and pieces securely , but also somewhere for the tripod . And this bag does it all for me . What got me first was the size of the bag , it is not small by any means but this does not make it a problem to handle even with the tripod securely fitted to the back . It has enough padding to protect your camera from a short fall and a the zips are waterproofed against the rain . (As not yet tested in a heavy rain storm yet but invisage no problems for keeping the camera dry in the bag ) . There is a chest strap as well as a waist strap that help to keep the bag in place , and all the straps are well padded as to make the bag comfortable . My tripd is a Velbon CX540 which isnt a light but neither heavy tripod but once secured to the bag and on my back it does not cause me any problems of feeling unbalanced with it there . If your looking for a good tough bag with plenty of storage for your camera and lenses and other small bits and pieces this is well worth a look.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality, 4 July 2009
I have been looking for a camera bag/ laptop bag for years and this is just excellent!
It does exactly what it is supposed to and is also very comfortable to carry on your back
Cant recomend this enough!!!!!!