4.0 out of 5 stars Good Morning REVIVAL
I have been a massive fan since their debut which is over 10 years ago and having been very dissapointed with 2004's The Chronicles Of Life And Death, I had pretty much given up on them producing anything decent.

Published on 22 May 2007 by Ms. J. K. Wood-mitchell

3.0 out of 5 stars Good morning what?!
Published on 26 Aug 2008 by Matt182

3.0 out of 5 stars Good morning what?!, 26 Aug 2008
This review is from: Good Morning Revival (Audio CD)
In my opinion, the overall GC sound has improved; it is more uplifting. I really didn't like that emo aura, and the last album was quite depressing, except for the fantastic Mountain. This album was produced by Don Gilmore and mixed by Andy Wallace, which is the same combination as Linkin Park's Meteora, which is a much better album. It goes to show how good these guys are together. One main replacement in the band for this album was the drummer Dean Butterworth stepping in for Chris Wilson. He has to be the 2nd best drummer the band has ever had on an album, behind the very talented Josh Freese. As a result the drumming is far better and far more live sounding, rather than technical, like on the last album. They have almost changed to a dance beat as a result, although Benji is embarrassed to admit it. The guitars are also better and more live sounding, rather than the low droning chords on most of the last album. This album is supposed to be about hope, but every song has at least some negativity in it. Compared to TCOLAD I guess this is a `revival', with a more upbeat and hopeful sound for the band.

Good morning revival opens the album with loads of computerised noises and piano. Joel opens with 'You're tired of running...' and ends with 'keep your sadness alive', which is a good build up for the negative Misery. A song about keeping sadness alive. It doesn't really make sense, but gives a cynical view of the world.
The river is supposed to be a Christian revival song. I have nothing against that but it has turned out to sound really annoying. Every GC fan raves about this song, but personally I don't like it. The fact that they mixed their thoughts on LA in the verses with being baptised and a believer in the chorus, is a terrible combination. If you want a song about LA then listen to Yellowcard - Lights and sounds or City of devils. The first verse and the chorus is pretty good, but as soon as M Shadows comes into the song it's ruined. He is the worst vocalist ever! I thought Chad Kreuger from Nickelback needed lozenges but this guy takes the cake. The bridge is horrible and with Both Shadows and Joel trying to scream it is awful. The screeching guitar is also irritating. Personally I don't like it but I think the Chipmunk re-mix is fantastic!
Dance floor anthem is a dance song. It sounds pretty good musically, unlike The river. The song is about a broken relationship and how love is bringing them back together. The chorus is silly, about not wanting to be in love. It's probably one of the nicest sounding on the album.
Keep your hands off my girl sounds like some underground club track. For me, this song is better than The river. Joel is cheating with this guy's girl in the lyrics.
Victims of love is good. The verses are drum and bass.
Where would we be now is really soppy. The fact that it's about Hilary Duff is pretty useless. Joel is like the beach boys; he gets around!
Break apart her heart is one of the best sounding songs on the album. It's about the only way to keep a girl is by breaking her heart.
All black is a song with lyrics that could've been on a less upbeat track on The chronicles of life and death. It has quite a good sound, if not a little dark with the opening droning organ.
Beautiful place is very different to the other songs on the album. There's something about this song that makes it sound like a country song. Both this song and Where would we be now have Coldplay type piano and beats.
Something else has a nice sound. A very different concept to Eddie Cochran's Somethin' else. It is about how we are never satisfied no matter what we have in life. It is not very hopeful in my view. The bass is standoout. If you listen closely the bass line sounds really jazzy and clever.
Broken hearts parade is the most uplifting song on the album. It is a dark but fun song which is a fine contrast. The trumpets are very unlike Good Charlotte, and a standout song.
March on is supposedly a song for the fans. It represents tough times and marching on through them for the better. It depicts Benji and Joel singing about how they never had their daddy there in the cold night where they were starving. I think it has to be exaggerated, even if they did go through some hard times. Makes it sound more `gangsta' than it really is! Movin' on was a song with the same concept and that sounds twice as good. I think this song is actually quite depressing whereas Movin' on was an uplifting and motivating song.

I think that Good Charlotte reached their potential with The young and the hopeless, and then with a few songs on TCOLAD. I think that their songs are definitely not better than the second album, and if they could just mature and become ambitious then they would be twice the band they are. If they could just take the ambition of Ryan Key then they would be so much better. I can't see how a band near 30 years old can be satisfied making dance rock. Whatever makes them happy, and if the fans are happy then good luck to them. I am not happy though. Although this is a better album than TCOLAD, it is less effective. The band do have a nicer sound, but they are not there to change the way people are thinking and that's what they should do. Thanks for reading.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Morning REVIVAL, 22 May 2007
This review is from: Good Morning Revival (Audio CD)

However, I was really surprised to hear a brilliant mix of traditional GC with some newer influences on this album. To me, they have explored new ground in every song, with a no-filler effect.

There are many stand out tracks to choose from, with their releases obviously being up there (Keep Your Hands Off My Girl, which has only grown on me since first hearing it, and The River, which is pure class). But songs such as Break Apart Her Heart, Victims Of Love and Dance Floor Anthem have captivated a much wider audience with their redesigned melodies. This is without mentioning crowd pleaser, All Black or the softer sound of March On (Benji's solo writing debut).

They've finally mastered the art of slower songs- instead of droning for 5 minutes (Mountain, anyone?) songs like March On or Where Would We Be Now have a much more appealing sound.

Furthermore, Joel has pushed his vocal capacity to his full potential on this record which enhances each and every song.

Somehow, Good Morning Revival, for all it's diversity, manages to make each song meld into the next in a complementary sort of way.

New sounds, more instrumental skill, a better vocal range and a wealth of song writing experience has made Good Morning Revival a masterpiece. Anyone listening would never guess it was by GC, but at the same time they have returned to their roots.

Good Charlotte have excelled themselves, and Good Morning Revival shows them at the pinnacle of their career so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stretching & Growing! A great record., 29 Mar 2007
A. Boylett "andyboylett" (London UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Good Morning Revival (Audio CD)
This is my first Good Charlotte CD, which I bought on the strength of the first single and a T4 show where they played a few tracks live. I liked what I had heard but was expecting to be disappointed by an album that was probably a bit one dimensional content wise. How wrong I was. This is a great album, make no mistake, from first to last. It has everything, from punk rock songs to pure pop songs (although Coldplay should consider suing over a couple of the tunes :-). They're obviously growing as songwriters, performers and people and that shows in the diversity of music, ideas and emotions on offer here. Angry, moody and miserable are also joined by loving, reflective and, dare I say it...happy (?) on this record and they all sit nicely together thank you very much.

Another reviewer said that only 14 year old girls would like this, but I'm 42 and proud that I still listen to all kinds of music, good and bad, and then decide. I suggest that you do the same because, for my money, this is good....very good. Buy it and do yourself a favour.

:-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Charlotte, 24 Mar 2007
J. beever "Josie <3" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Good Morning Revival (Audio CD)
Ever since their first album came out i have been an avid good charlotte fan. What i love most about Good Charlotte is how every album is so different. Good Morning Revival being no exception.

This is a fantastic album with catchy tunes and is simply excellent. a must have for all music fans. :D

4.0 out of 5 stars It's different, but great!, 25 May 2008
This review is from: Good Morning Revival (Audio CD)
'Good Morning Revival', Good Charlotte's fourth album, is different to their previous ones. It has an obvious more serious tone, that some die hard fans might not appreciate, but I think this change of direction has worked and shows the range of music Good Charlotte can make. Tracks:

'Good Morning Revival': An intro that is less than a minute which leads straight into 'Misery'. I like this start to the album. Its calming.

'Misery': On first listen I really didn't like this song, but then I listened again at it was great! It is one of those songs that will stay in your head and you'll probably be humming it all day. A typical Good Charlotte track that could have easily been on one of their previous albums. 5/5

'The River': This features M. Shadows and Synyster Gates from Avenged Sevenfold and shows a more hard rock side to Good Charlotte. This track shows that they can expand and make different kinds of music than they have made in the past. 4/5

'Dance Floor Anthem': A real sing along song that will have you dancing around for ages. A great chorus. 5/5

'Keep Your Hands off my Girl': Great track, one of the best from the album. Great, catchy lyrics that everyone must know. Great riff and beat aswell. Obvious choice for a single. 5/5

'Victims of Love': A grower. On first few lsitens you'll probably think 'hmmm' but then the lyrics become clear and it becomes a better song. 4/5

'Where Would We Be Now': Slower track that shows a more mature Good Charlotte. 4/5

'Break Apart Her Heart': Great track that again is mature and very true. Very fast paced chorus. 5/5

'All Black': An ok track that takes a bit of time to get into. The lyrics are a bit cheesy which pushes it down the ratings a bit, but its ok. 3/5

'Beautiful Place': Another slower track that is ok but the lyrics aren't great. 3/5

'Something Else': Another mature song that is very true. Good chorus but needs something else to make it great. 4/5

'Broken Hearts Parade': Great track. One of the best on the album. This song must be sung along to. It has a brilliant chorus and is a old school Good Charlotte track. 5/5

'March On': Great end to the album with a slow, melodic song that is really emotional. Shows a much more mature side to Good Charlotte. 4/5

Die hard fans of Good Charlotte may be disapointed with this, but every band wants to try something different with each album, and this may be different, but it works. It has some usual Good Charlotte tracks, but mixes them with newer ones that are also great. A few more 5 star songs and it would have been a top notch album! Still, it is a great purchase and I think most rock fans would enjoy this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Pop!, 1 May 2008
This review is from: Good Morning Revival (Audio CD)
Has got very excellent beginning and ending songs. A break-through in the 5th, for making a hit, but a very fluent & completed album. Very comfortable to listen, without any stress or disturbing. It sounds healing at first, but the songs have meaning insides & reflect to other things. The strings are wonderful and matured and very clean, although most of them aren't the songs I'm looking for. I think I'm satisfied & sticking to it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good charlottes most mature album to date, 19 Mar 2007
Jonny Power (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Good Morning Revival (Audio CD)
I brought this album on the day it was released and after already having heard the river and keep your hands off my girl i was unsure what to expect.

1. Good Morning Revival - This is a intro basically, not a proper song. Nice and melodic, sets the vibe for the album, you can hear the 80's synth pop infuence.

2. Misery - Great way to kick start the album. A real energetic track with trademark good charlotte lyrics about emotions. This song is one of the best tracks on the cd, this song could have been off 'chronichles'.

3. River - Good Charlotte & M. Shadows/Synyster Gates - Im sure most of you have heard this one. A great punk rock song, its got a dark edge to it and brings to mind alkaline trio. Killer chorus.

4. Dance Floor Anthem - Another brilliant song. Really strong use of synthesizers on the chorus,reminds me of love like winter by AFI.

5. Keep Your Hands Off My Girl - Lead single off the album. Strange choice for the single as the rest of the album sounds nothing like this. I think this is either a love it or hate it track, verse driven by a simple bassline and monotone vocals with a better chorus.

6. Victims Of Love - A good track. Its at this point in the album you realise this album is much less punk than the other good charlotte cd's, this is kinda of a mixture of punk,80's synth pop and melodic rock ballads. Good song.

7. Where Would We Be - Soft ballad. One of the weaker tracks off the album.

8. Break Apart Her Heart - Great song, again strong 80's vibe but also distinctly a good charlotte song.

9. All Black - Slightly cheesy lyrics, but still a good song.

10. Beautiful Place - This song is driven by acoustic guitar, sounds a bit bon jovi esque

11. Something Else - another softer song,a great melodic tune.

12. Broken Hearts Parade - A more punky one. One of the albums stronger tracks.

13. March On - beautifull way to close the album. An acoustic track with a real upbeat message.

Overall this is a good album but it is very different from previous GC albums. There is not one upbeat pop punk song on it(e.g. riot girl, boys and girls). Lyrically its closer to chronichles than the other GC albums as its quite serious. Its also good charlottes softest and poppiest album to date.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great CD, 4 July 2013
This review is from: Good Morning Revival (Audio CD)
If you love good charlotte then this is a CD for you. It has a mix of great songs on it and I would recommend it to any one, even if new to this band.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good Morning Regression, 25 Mar 2007
This review is from: Good Morning Revival (Audio CD)
I am sorry to say so but I was completely disappointed with this album the first time I listened to it. The second time I thought it was better still I don't "like" it, it's not that I hate it but I'll never be able to appreciate it. I've been a Good Charlotte fan for 5 years and what else could I say but : what happened to them when they wrote the lyrics?!Most of them are so shallow I can barely recognize their writing....I would go as far as saying it should have been called Good Morning Regression, it feels like it's their first album and not the fourth!! They used to write soulful music,now it feels like they just wanted to make dance floor anthems....Well if they did,then they've succeeded....I love this band and I just hope they'll come to realise that they have left a piece of themselves behind....

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant !, 23 Mar 2007
Katherine (Bordon, Hampshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Good Morning Revival (Audio CD)
Put simply, this album is fantastic. A surprising mixture of strongly written, brilliantly composed songs that the first single (keep your hands off my girl) really doesn't do justice to. Buy this album - trust a recently converted Good Charlotte fan.

Good Morning Revival
Good Morning Revival by Good Charlotte (Audio CD - 2007)