5.0 out of 5 stars looking forward to hearing it all again and again!
Published on 20 Mar. 2007 by kaper

1.0 out of 5 stars So very very bland
Published on 27 Jun. 2008 by Willia

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars looking forward to hearing it all again and again!, 20 Mar. 2007
This review is from: King Of Cards (Audio CD)
like the first two reviewers, I joined the online listening party. The songs really grew on me and all these weeks later I still have the melodies floating about in my head. The one that really got to me was "lord, how long". It sounded like a hymn - the words sounded like a prayer - and the more I listened the more it seemed to be speaking about Iraq/Afghanistan and the endless bloodshed on all sides.

What else can I say - his voice is beautiful, textured, wondrous, the cello is definitely still there, and the man can write songs.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another excellent Tom McRae album, 28 Jun. 2007
James Tilburn "jamestilburn" (Harrogate) - See all my reviews
This review is from: King Of Cards (Audio CD)
This is Tom's fourth album and probably the only one that surpasses it is his second, 'Just Like Blood'. The album immediately grabs your attention with the pounding beat of 'Set the Story Straight' and follows this with the the gloriously upbeat 'Bright Lights'. Sometimes listening to a Tom McRae album everything can seem rather samey but this time he seems to have chosen a good variety of tracks to keep you enagaged all the way through. 'Keep Your Picture Clear' has makes excellent use of Tom's voice to create a clam menace in probably the most political song on the album, whilst 'One Mississippi' is in my opinion the stand out track, everything you could want from a Tom McRae track.

This is an album that will win over new people in a way that 'All Maps Welcome' probably cannot. Tom clearly knows how to write a good tune and while his vocals would never win on the X-Factor (as no self respecting singer-songwriter's should), they have a fragile charm that suits perfectly the subjects he writes about. If you only buy one Tom McRae album, buy 'Just Like Blood' but after that, this is definately the one to go for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ritalin for my soul, 23 Mar. 2007
This review is from: King Of Cards (Audio CD)
I base this review on the streaming party Tom McRae had of his new record on his website, and on his live performances of some of those songs. I think I have some sort of musical ADD, as I find most artists entertaining for a short while, but then get bored. Tom McRae is the opposite for me- the songs on King of Cards draw you deeper and deeper in on each listen. McRae's lyrics pack his typical punch, laced with a sharp wit and yet also deep empathy. My favorites (today!) on King of Cards are "Got a Suitcase, Got Regrets"- because of the perfect build-up that has me belting out the chorus; "Keep Your Picture Clear"- because of its snazzy beat and Tom's venom and "Ballad of Amelia Earhart"- because of its nostalic tenderness. The songs on this record are all so different yet all gorgeously produced. I can't wait to get it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Tom's back - and this time he's mainstream, 20 Feb. 2007
Alex (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: King Of Cards (Audio CD)
The Tom McRae we knew and loved has evolved. Before we had 'music to slit your wrists to' of the highest quality, now we have songs that retain what we loved about the old stuff but this time will actually be played on the radio.

That Tom writes beautiful, inspired and passionate music goes without question. It was never happy enough to get airtime, though and he ended up with a cult of devotees ensuring sold out concerts all over Europe and to an extent America, his albums never did as well as they deserved to. This time he's written a few happy songs (don't worry there are still a few bleak ones there) and is heading for the Bright Lights with this offering.

I don't own this but sreamed it all several times for his website on Friday and went to see him live yesterday. There's some fantastic stuff on this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another missed master piece no doubt, 30 April 2007
Richard Bamber (Surbiton,Surrey) - See all my reviews
This review is from: King Of Cards (Audio CD)
Is it really 6 years since I bought the first album and then saw Tom supporting Dido? Artists of lesser talent come and go and he just carries on doing what he does best.Perhaps its not be but the guy is a real talent.I saw some of these songs live on the Hotel Cafe Tour and then recently at Cargo.A bit more upbeat maybe but still the same undercurrent of venom......pop idol it ain't...but then hey thats all cr*p anyway.

Nice one Tom.Come the revolution eh?...!

5.0 out of 5 stars McRae's deck contains 11 aces, 19 July 2007
Alexander Wilson (Mayfield, Midlothian) - See all my reviews
This review is from: King Of Cards (Audio CD)
warm and uplifting, Tom McRae delivers another masterpiece. Lyrically as solid as previous releases, King of Cards deals a Full House thanks to its more upbeat style, in stark contrast to the more relaxed and subdued All Maps Welome. Look out for 'Got A Suitcase, Got Regrets', Houdini And The Girl', 'Sound Of The City' and 'One Mississippi'. Ladies and Gentleman, I give you McRae at his finest.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tom cheers up, very slightly, 25 Jan. 2011
This review is from: King Of Cards (Audio CD)
In which Tom listens to the record label, and then quickly wishes he hadn't. Lots of McCraedians reserve a special tranche of bile for this record, but it's better than they give it credit for. One to listen to once you've got to know his other stuff, then it won't sound quite so MOR. Good for a fiver though and still miles better than most of the dreck getting churned out by the usual suspects.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best albums I've listend to in a long time., 12 Sept. 2008
This review is from: King Of Cards (Audio CD)
I had none of Tom McRae's other albums but Amazon recommended it to me.

And what an album it is. Stunning, emotional, beautiful. Since writing this review I am gone and bought All Maps Welcome - Another stunning album. Tom McRae is amazing! Cannot understand why some people compare him to Radiohead though! - I see no resemblance whatsoever.

Thoroughly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tom growing in songwriting maturity, 1 Jun. 2007
Braw Loon (Bonny Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: King Of Cards (Audio CD)
I seem to measure my life not in years but Tom McRae albums these days. His previous (third album) All Maps Welcome, was by his high standards not the full Tom so I was hoping that this his fourth collection would proove it was a minor blip.

Having heard these songs after being given the chance to stream them from his website several weeks before release, they have had a chance to grow in me. Some artists songs hooks get in you and even though enjoyable there is a lack of balance and they can almost be too catchy. However I woke up today with the gentle melody in my head of Got a Suitcase, Got Regrets swishing around like waves up an Australian beach.

I have no worries now about Tom being washed out as this is another exceptionally fine album.

I don't think it will be his White Ladder but maybe someday he might well get that even richer seam of commercial form in the studio. I'll be very content though if I reach 'forty' if they are all as good as this.

1.0 out of 5 stars So very very bland, 27 Jun. 2008
Willia - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: King Of Cards (Audio CD)
I'll be honest, I only listened to it twice. And maybe it's because I'm such a fan of the other 3 albums that I am so disappointed by this work, but to me it seemed middle of the road and deliberately radio-friendly, completely devoid of any consistent musical or lyrical interest. The ability is still there as one might expect, in every song there is a moment or two that engages me, a flash of brilliance if you like, but then it always seems to be followed by something hollow and predictable that blunts the edge. I think Tom is a funny, intelligent and talented man but he is capable of so much more than this, there are a million singer-songwriters that could have come up with this album.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

King Of Cards
King Of Cards by Tom McRae (Audio CD - 2007)