Format: Audio CD|Change

on 4 August 2014
Classic rags to riches artist, this album contains most of Dolly's best work in mainstream country / crossover county pop. (Her bluegrass albums are really something else, and well worth the effort, by the way). Great collaborations with Willie Nelson (on "Everything Is Beautiful", the old Ray Stevens hit), Linda Ronstadt and Emmylou Harris ("To Know Him Is To Love Him", and a veritable starfest with Billy Ray Cyrus, Tanya Tucker (original country bad girl), Mary Chapin Carpenter, Kathy Mattea and Pam Tillis ("Romeo"). As her slot at Glastonbury this year proved, she's got quality by the bucket load, and any fan of quality music should enjoy this a lot. too many tracks to pick a real standout, but my personal favourite is "Here You Come Again". Relax and listen to a true original.
on 17 December 2012
Just a really good album good quality and all the songs sound clean clear and crisp aswell as good value
on 19 March 2013
I have just recently bought this cd for my little 12 yrs. old neice, who has just of late become enamoured with the voice of Dolly Parton, due to her hearing the song Jolene. I let her listen to one of my "Dolly" cds and she came back with a list of her favourite "Dolly" songs, so I sent away for this cd as it had every one of the songs on her list, and we have all been subjected to listening to this cd ever since. In fact she has entered into a talent contest at school and she will be singing "My coat of many colours" as her song of choice. So this cd was perfect for my little neice, and she is really over the moon with this cd. I bought this copy for her in a used format, in VG to excellent condition from Zoverstocks, a seller that I use a lot on Amazon, and for two pounds this cd is in wonderful condition. So I can recommend this cd to one and all as a very worthwhile purchase indeed as all of Dolly's best known hits are on it. Yours, Mrs. M Walsh. "Maw".
on 16 May 2013
This is not my normal taste in music but there's something about her voice and her songs that I just love. I'd promised myself one of her CDs for ages. Her interpretation is frankly highly sentimental but perhaps that's part of the charm. Dolly allows us a few moments of sheer sentimentality to indulge in and there's nothing wrong with that. She really does have a lovely voice, I don't think anyone can deny that, and the songs are easy to listen to and tuneful and they take me back to my youth and some nebulous memories. Enjoying this can be my guilty secret for occasional indulgence.
on 6 July 2014
Arrived promptly Dolly Parton what can you say some people are born naturally gifted and blessed in life what a voice,
would highly rate seller
These are the greatest hits of Dolly, which together with those on The Very Best volume 2 represent her most commercially successful songs. It includes catchy pop like Love's Like A Butterfly and 9 to 5 from the movie of the same name, flowing ballads like the duet with Kenny Rogers, traditional country ballads like My Tennessee Mountain Home and Silver Threads And Golden Needles with Loretta Lynn and Tammy Wynette, exquisite vocal pop like To Know Him Is To love Him with Emmylou Harris and Linda Ronstadt, the moving autobiographical story song Coat of Many Colors and passionate country numbers like Jolene and Baby I'm Burning. This is an excellent introduction to the music of one of the most delightful of all female country singers but for longtime fans, the real gems are found on albums like Coat Of Many Colors, The Essential Porter Wagoner and Dolly Parton, Porter Wagoner and Dolly Parton - 20 greatest Hits, and on Little Sparrow and The Grass is Blue.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 7 April 2007
I am really not a fan of Dolly Parton's music, I just don't like her childlike voice or style, but I bought this 'Very Best Of' as a present for somebody, and they seem to be very pleased it it.

Apart from her most famous recordings, I'm no expert on her music, but this 20 track album does seem like the most definitive collection it can be for a single disc. The country music oldies like 'Jolene', 'Coat of Many Colors' (which has a lovely and important message), 'I Will Always Love You', as well as her more pop flavoured hits like '9 to 5', 'Romeo' (with Billy Ray Cyrus on guest vocals) and Here You Come Again'. The famous 'Islands in the Stream' duet with Kenny Rogers, as well as songs with Willie Nelson, Tammy Wynette and Loretta Lynn, and Linda Ronstadt and Emmylou Harris are also included.

So if you're looking for one Dolly Parton album that has most of the essentials, I'd say 'The Very Best Of' is sound. There is little in the way of liner notes and pictures, but it's the music that matters. Although I'm not a fan, I respect her longevity in the business and talent as a songwriter. It has to be said, she has written most of her hits, and that says something.
on 28 May 2010
Some great numbers on here but sound is a bit "gritty". I suppose when the "digitalised" version comes out it should improve.
on 20 June 2008
Has much has i Like Dolly Parton, I do wonder how many more times are her managers going to release her Greatest Hits & Best Of Albums.
I think she should come back and do something New!!

I brought Dolly Partons Greatest Hits back in 1999 The Album i have is a 2x Disc version With the same songs and same listings in the exact same track listing order has these 2 seperate Albums!! Why it has been Re-released has two seperate Volumes is beyond me, Especially when the version i have is still avalible to buy.

I have given this a 4 Star if it was a New greatest hits it would have got a 5 Star, However it isn't. And plus it's not Dolly's thought i blame the record company!!! :-)
on 30 June 2011
I bought this for my three year old, as he heard Jolene once on the radio and loved it! He kept getting me to put it on YouTube, so I decided to buy this album. I've always loved Dolly's hits, but never bought an album of her music before, so this was a good opportunity. All her best loved songs, and my little boy's favourite Jolene too! A great album - enjoyed by all.