5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning
This is a stunning CD which any fan of Within Temptation should buy. I actually think it's as good as if not better than WT. Well worth the price Amazon is currently charging due it being difficult to get hold of any other way.

Published on 15 Sep 2008 by Big Red

2.0 out of 5 stars dont bother
Very disappointed is all I can say really.If you buy this you will probably have a bit of a sinking feeling
as it falls short of your high expectations.
The reason I say this is simple: I bought April Rain first which is simply jaw dropping. April Rain has better songs by a millions miles and Charlotte sings on all songs and has written all the lyrics too (if my...
Published on 13 Jun 2011 by S. M. L. Rogers

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 15 Sep 2008
Big Red - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Lucidity (Audio CD)

Delain is a 'project' band masterminded by Martijn Westerholt (yes, brother of Robert) which has a few core members and many guest artists such as Sharon Den Adel (WT), Marco Hietala (Nightwish) and Liv Kristine (Leave's Eyes). If you've ever wanted to know what a duet between Sharon and Marco would sound like, here it is on the track 'No Compliance'. Most of the songs are done in a slight goth-rock style much in the same vein as WT with maybe a bit more melody and energy on some of the tracks.

Also the main vocalist Charlotte Wessels sounds great and is quite beautiful which is a plus, although I wouldn't put her in the top league. I'm glad I bought this, I've hardly listened to anything else since I got it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Majestic, 30 April 2009
Peter Stokes (West Sussex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lucidity (Audio CD)
What a majestic piece of work this is. I discovered Delain simply by thinking that if they are deemed ok by Kamelot then they will ok by me. This rates as the best decision in ages. I downloaded both cd's and they are in constant play on the iPod. For any fans of Nightwish, Within Temptation and Leaves Eyes this is an absolute must, not a bad song on it. My Favourite at the moment is No Compliance with Marco from NW guesting, I could listen to him all day. I discovered 'syphonic rock' quite by accident and it gives this old man very many hours of happy listening. Rock on and keep the faith, Oh and go and get this cd you will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!!!!!!, 28 Dec 2009
This review is from: Lucidity (Audio CD)
Superb CD with a with a great collection of guest vocalist including Marco Hietala (Nightwish), Liv Kristine (Leaves' Eyes), Sharon Den Adel (Within Temptation), and George Oosthoek( as Sharon puts it the best Grunter in the Netherlands( but the main vocalist is the beautiful Charlotte Wessels who has a lovely voice and is not overshadowed by the guests. I don't think there is a track on the CD that I don't like which is unusual as there is normally one track that you think that's a little naff!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 26 April 2009
Czech's Mate (Wellingborough UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lucidity (Audio CD)
what do you get when you take a fantastic set of songs from a great symphonic metal band then add to the mix Liv Kristine,(Leaves Eyes) Marco Hietela (Nightwish) Sharon Van Adel (Within Temptation). Pure Beauty that any fan of female fronted metal will absolutely love. The main members of the band on this release are Martijn Westerholt (Ex WT) on Keyboards (and very fine they are) and the beautiful voiced Charlotte Wessels. This album is near perfect and should be bought immediately.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow - a real discovery, 20 Sep 2008
Mr. RE PUTTICK "Metal Coach" (Devon UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lucidity (Audio CD)
Previous comments are spot on - excellent album which combines the best of Within Temptation and Nightwish. Will take some album to dislodge this from the cd player, can thoroughly recommend to those who enjoy this genre.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 9 July 2008
This review is from: Lucidity (Audio CD)
I have searched for and bought many albums by symphonic type bands but this is definately up there with the best. I would imagine that it would appeal to most Within Temptation fans as it is very much in the same vein.

5.0 out of 5 stars A recipe for success - you must get this album, 22 Nov 2008
M. Thomas (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lucidity (Audio CD)
I first heard Delain at the Metal Female Voices Fest in 2007 (a plug for MFVF - make time for this event, it happens every October in Wiese, Belgium...) and was blown away by the quality, easily the equal of Within Temptation or Leaves Eyes - all the more surprising for the fact that I'd never heard of them beforehand. An investigation of the 'Lucidity' album reveals the wealth of talent that went into the recording.
Certainly, the name Westerholt must a be a magnet in the European gothic / symphonic / prog metal scene - it almost seems as if the word went out that Martijn Westerholt was putting a project together and people queued up to get involved. Any album that includes Sharon den Adel (Within Temptation) AND Liv Kristine (Leaves Eyes) AND Marco Hietala (Nightwish) is a special event. Add in the not-inconsiderable Charlotte Wessels and the seemingly genetically-inherent talents of Martijn Westerholt as the driving force - and it's no surprise that this album isn't cheap to acquire. This is a gem.
Echoing other reviewers, this is an album which I could listen to constantly. Picking standout tracks, 'Sever', 'Frozen' and 'Silhouette of a Dancer' make up a fabulous opening trio, while 'The Gathering' is positively addictive (especially the chorus harmony with Marco Hietala). Curiously, if I had to point out weaker tracks, I'd have to say that 'No Compliance' (with Sharon den Adel on vocals) is a bit insubstantial and is followed immediately by the quietest track 'See Me In Shadow' (including Liv Kristine) which is quite nice but leaves (no pun intended) you waiting for some more oomph from the next track (duly delivered, thankfully). Also, 'Pristine' includes a hefty chunk of 'extreme' vocals, which aren't my cup of tea, but that's a matter of taste and Ms Wessels' contribution is more than enough to rescue the song as a whole.
I've enthused in another review about WT's 'The Silent Force' (probably the greatest album ever produced in any genre, in my humble opinion...) and while 'Lucidity' doesn't quite scale the same peaks of epic magnificence, I still have to say that if you like this genre, then you simply MUST buy this album: you will be glad you did so.

5.0 out of 5 stars Varied and interesting - excellent!, 4 Sep 2011
Simon Hunt (Middlewich, Cheshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lucidity (MP3 Download)
This is the second Delain album I've bought. The first was April Rain (and that was great too), but this was released first and is in my opinion one of the best albums I've heard in a long time. It has such varied and interesting tracks that I play it repeatedly and still don't lose interest. I love "See Me in Shadow" particularly for the words as well as the music - how do Dutch bands produce great lyrics in English? I have huge admiration for them.
The only negative for me is that there are two tracks with a "Death Metal" voice - but I can forgive them for that because the rest of the album is so excellent. Great value for money, too!

4.0 out of 5 stars A superb Amazon recommendation, 15 Aug 2011
Lucioperca (Norwich, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lucidity (Audio CD)
When I was downloading some Within Temptation albums I got that little banner at the bottom of my screen say "people who purchased this album also purchased the following ......." and one of them was Lucidity. I will admit to be sufficiently shallow that I thought "Hmmm not a bad album cover" so I gave them a preview listen and liked what I heard. So I then ventured off to Wiki-land and discovered Delain are another Dutch band and were actually a spin-off from Within Temptation being formed by former keyboard player Martijn Westeholt after he left the band during a spell of ill health.

This album was cheap to download and I don't regret a single penny I spent on it. Singer Charlotte Wessels has a great voice and I am finding that I listen to Delain as much as I do Within Temptation. Their follow up album April Rain is even better and all I can say is that if Amazon occasionally throws up a few recommendations at the bottom of your screen, give them a listen cos you may just be surprised at what you find. If you are into the whole Paramore, Evanescence, Within Temptation, Lacuna Coil genre of rock then you will love Delain and I recommend you to give them a listen. Again I have only given this 4 stars because of my own limited threshold for being able to listen to female rock vocalists .... but it is good, very good.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than I expected, 21 Jan 2011
This review is from: Lucidity (Audio CD)
Not exceptional, but nothing wrong with this at all.

Very nice vocals, very well produced; instrumentally very good as well.

If you like Muse or Nightwish you will probably like this - I like it.

Why not 5 stars you ask? Well the fact is I had the album on repeat play for a couple of days while driving so I like it; It's just at the end I could not really name any tracks or sing along that much. In other words it is good, but for some reason it did not stick in my mind. Good but not exceptional would be a fair description.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Lucidity
Lucidity by Delain (Audio CD - 2010)