Colour: Matt Steel Fingerprint Proof|Change
Price:£118.99 - £568.66

on 26 June 2006
I've had this bin about 6 years and its great.
It has a huge capacity (which as a family we still fill in 2 days) and the touch lid is great. We use dustbin liners which can then be tied up and put out.
Recently the hinge started to crack and eventually failed. I emailed Brabantia if I could buy a replacement. They said its covered under guarantee and 9 days later a new lid arrived. This had a revised hinge design.
Superb.
0Comment|102 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 March 2007
I bought this bin recently, after lusting after it for what felt like forever! We used to have a small, yellow, plastic swing-top bin, and it just wasn't up to the job. We lived with it for years, though. It seemed to always need emptying,not to mention cleaning because it was so difficult to keep the lid out of the way when scraping plates into the bin.

Now I am happy. The lid is smooth and easy to open, the opening is nice and large to take the rubbish, and as the lid open upwards it's never in the way when scraping plates. Having tried standard bin bags, I bought some of the Brabantia ones yesterday because they are far superior. You get a couple of the "special" bags with the bin to try them out, and in my case it's a marketing ploy that worked! They're a much better fit than the ordinary bags, so even though they're white and not black, they're less obtrusive in the kitchen. They are expensive, but I feel it's worth spending the extra.

The old bin has been relegated to a tea towel and cloth laundry basket! I will not be going back from my Brabantia bin!
on 14 August 2011
These bins are expensive, but we seem to break swing tops and pedal bins easily and were always replacing them. We've had this one for 5 years so I consider it a great investment!

We chose the 50 litre size to accomodate our growing family. It is big, but being black, looks less obvious in the kitchen. The finish is flawless and very easy to clean. If using the Brabantia bin bags, they fit perfectly around the rim and can be hidden when the lid is in place. They are too expensive for me, so I just use normal black bags which do show, but I prefer to save my pennies. The touch close catch is great, very soft but also secure. There is a round indent in the top of the lid so you know where to press. When shut, the lid makes very little noise and keeps all nasty smells inside - very handy with two babies and constant nappy changes! Being bigger we only empty it about twice a week and the black bags are full, so we're not wasting money on them either.

Our bin still looks as good as new, however, we have had one problem. Every now and then, the catch wouldn't work as it would get dirty. A quick clean out with a cotton bud always did the trick, but a few weeks ago, my eldest (who is quite heavy handed) decided to keep banging the lid down. I think he must have dislodged the catch which then got thrown away in the rubbish, so we couldn't close the lid at all. I couldn't find the receipt so was unsure if I could claim on the warranty. I checked the website and ordered a new part from the Service shop. On the form it asked me if I wanted to claim on the guarantee, I only had to tell them where the logo was on the bin and where and when we purchased it from. I received an acknowledgement by email and a few days letter another to let me know the part had been sent. Within five days from ordering the part had arrived, with details of how to fit. The details were in diagram form and I had repaired my bin in seconds.

Definitely worth the money as we won't need to buy another bin for at least 10 years.
on 29 March 2007
I bought this bin years ago, and was very happy until...

I too found that the lid failed, which was irritating as the

default is that the lid gaped open in 'up' position.

However - and I'm not sure how hard the previous correspondant tried - I must say that the customer services were polite & helpful, and sent out a replacement lid at no charge, even though I had no receipt.

From this "no questions asked" replacement service, I suspect that this was a known design issue. However I can't fault the service.

If anyone has issues the Brabantia customer service number is

0870 240 7641.

Ironically I would say that as this issue was resolved so helpfully, this gives me more confidence in buying products from the company in the future, as I know I won't be fobbed off.
22 comments|89 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 February 2009
We decided to upgrade from the stainless bin to the fingerproof Matt Steel bin. We've had the stainless bin for a couple of years and after a quick wipe-down, it looks good as new. The opening is wide enough for a dustpan, the lid mechanism works great and unless you've got wet paint on your hands, it's truly fingerproof. 5 out of 5 stars, without a doubt.
on 23 April 2006
Who in their right mind pays over £60 for a rubbish bin ? well i did and its worth every penny.

It looks superb sitting in my kitchen with its smooth and shiny looks. One touch and the bin lid smoothly opens and another touch and all your rubbish is hidden from sight.

The liners fit perfect inside with no unsightly plastic sticking out over the edge, and are cleverly designed with small air holes at the top to expel air between the liner and bin sides hence the perfect fit.

And when they need changed its as simple as pulling the two handles together and out it comes. Go on treat yourself...and your rubbish !!
on 28 December 2008
I have had my Touch Bin for six months now and am still very pleased by it. The size of it means that it can handle more than a few carrot peelings before needing to be emptied and yet looks like an inoffensive addition to the kitchen.

People often say on forums and the like - "How much? It's only a bin". True, but if you have a nice kitchen, that perhaps cost several thousands of pounds, why would you have a manky looking, cheap plastic effort in there ruining it all?

Yes this is about the aesthetics, I am not ashamed to admit it. Fact is it looks good, is easy to clean and easy to use.

I got what I paid for.
on 18 August 2006
Well, what can I say about this bin that hasn't already been said. Apart from the snazzy smooth lid action it pretty much does what every other bin does, it holds rubbish (non recyclable, of course).

The long and short of it. Why did I buy this bin when it costs 10 times the amount my previous plastic Addis bin cost...

... it's a cool bin.

I bought it because it looks cool in my kitchen with all the other cool stainless steel stuff. My kitchen is now complete. For years something always seemed out of place. The bin. Now I am whole.
on 11 March 2008
I brought my brabantia touch top bin about 8 years ago, recently the catch broke (after 8 long years of being stuffed full to the brim and crushed down with the lid etc etc) I thought fair enough, it was expensive but Ive had my moneys worth, however before I binned the bin I thought I would see if I could obtain a new lid from brabantia, obviously I did not still have the receipt, but I emailed them asking them to send me the costing for a new lid & hinge, I heard nothing for a week, then today a parcel from Brabantia arrived with a brand new lid assembly, for free!!! As a new bin would have cost me £69.99 at least, this must represent approx £40 worth of kit. Well done Brabantia, that is what you call customer service. Buy this bin, it will outlast you !!!!
on 13 February 2009
I think Brabantia Touch bins are excellent. They are easy to keep clean and the bags you get with them are very useful they last a few days without changing and then getting rid of them in the dustbin. This is my second Brabantia bin, the lid broke on the first one and I got in touch with Brabantia and they sent me one free of charge (they guarantee them for 10 years). My daughter and daughter-in-law have one and they think the same as me - very good. Amazon keep up the good service.