5.0 out of 5 stars MACIC!
A lovely film. This is pure entertainment from start to finish. I too, don't have access to Sky and was fretting over missing it. However, the DVD has more than made up for that. I can watch it now, whenever I want! The plot as ever is the usual Pratchett mix of wierd and spectacular. You need to watch this one a few times as you get something different each time you...
Published on 6 May 2007 by Yvonne Green

3.0 out of 5 stars Liked but not loved
I need to start by admitting I was always coming at this as a long term enthusiast for Pratchett's books and so have been 'imagineering' the Discworld and characters in my head for around 15 years.

Published on 2 May 2007 by Mr. B. J. Purcell

4.0 out of 5 stars A flawed but entertaining adaptation, 25 April 2007
T. R. Alexander (East Anglia, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Hogfather Limited Edition [DVD] (DVD)
The Hogfather is the first of the Discworld books to be adapted into a live action program and although it is a worthy try I do not feel that it has done the books the justice that they deserve. The Hogfather is the Discworld's version of Father Christmas and that is why this book was chosen for the adaptation as it was showing at Christmas. The story sees the Hogfather disappear forcing Death to take his place while Susan, Deaths granddaughter, must try to find out what has happened to the Hogfather and reverse it.

Generally this adaptation of the Hogfather is, in places, visually stunning and although some of the effects are less than perfect this is most probably due to the TV budget than anything. Although much of the casting is, in my view, spot on for the characters they are portraying there are a few notable exceptions who just do not fit right such as Marc Warren as the assassin Teatime. Overall the Hogfather is a more than adequate but could have been so much better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very close to excellent, 26 April 2007
Meerkat (Dereham, Norfolk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Hogfather Limited Edition [DVD] (DVD)
I don't have Sky so was fretting over not being able to see this at Christmas ... thank goodness it came out on dvd. I disagree with the reviewer who said the casting of Teatime wasn't right - I think ALL the characters are exactly as I imagined them from reading the book. Actually, I have to say I was a tinsy bit disappointed with Nobby Nobbs and Washpot ... but they hardly feature in the story and clearly were trying.

As an adaptation it is spot-on, following the book faithfully even to the dialogue. The only thing you miss in any 'live' version of a book is often the humour and although there is some humour in the exchanges between characters, most of the humour in Pratchett's books comes from his witty asides and acerbic observations as well as his sudden leaps to an unexpected linguistic place; none of this is possible in a film version.

This is as good as it gets though. If you love the book, you'll really enjoy seeing it being brought to life in this adaptation, which was, after all, 'mucked about with' by Terry Pratchett himself; which has to count as a seal of approval.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars!, 16 July 2007
This review is from: Hogfather Limited Edition [DVD] (DVD)
I've not been reading TP books for long - probably since I was nearly 13, two years ago - but I have read Hogfather.

When it was broadcasted, I didn't have SKY, but my dad asked nicely to your family-friend who happenes to be a TP Discword fanatic.. So I managed to see it a wee bit later than it was actually broadcasted.

The film is, I think, very closely related to the book as is possible. The Death Of Rats doesn't show up much, probably because it's expensive to animate on the computer or how ever it was done.

My only real disapointment was that I din't think that Albert would look like.. well.. David Jason. He was acted great, but just the way I imagined him was skanky greasy hair and stuff.. A bit like that Janitor from the Harry Potter films. . .

I loved the way the characters where acted and their costumes fitted in nicely to what I imagined.

People who haven't read the books can easily watch this, and I'm sure wee kiddies will like it.. although I don;t know any wee kiddies who've seen it...just people around my age and older. BUT IT CAN BE WATCHED BY PEOPLE YOUNGER THAN ME [14], certainly.

Final comment: I want Susan's outfits!! ...Even her governess ones... I was born a century too late it seems... =[

3.0 out of 5 stars Liked but not loved, 2 May 2007
This review is from: Hogfather Limited Edition [DVD] (DVD)

This said, the sets were great, acting good and the whole thing tried really hard to do the book credit. In particular I enjoyed Death but didn't find Te-a-ti-me as cold and ruthless as I thought.

I felt the film fell down in the pacing of the film. It just seemed to crawl in places and felt generally disjointed. I wouldn't have wanted to sit through the whole thing in one visit.

It seems to me that the film was also marketed as a childrens film for Christmas but the plot gets rather confusing with all that 'blood on the snow' etc. but I personally found some of the concepts went right over my heaed for much of the film. This is not the films fault as I do find that Pratchett tends to reach a stage in his books where it all goes a bit weird with magic, plots, cosmic events and piles of teeth(!) all getting on top of the wonderful world and characters that he establishes early in the books.

All in all I enjoyed it and think it's well worth a nosey but more in the way you can sit down and watch Mary Poppins on one of those Christmas Holiday afternoons where it's raining outside and there's nothing more appealing than curling up on a sofa in front of the television for the afternoon.

Like I say, Pratchett is better in print.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Program, and surprisingly brilliant DVD, 23 April 2007
This review is from: Hogfather Limited Edition [DVD] (DVD)
I am a huge fan of Terry Pratchett Discworld Series, Hogfather was the first Discworld book I read and loved every page.

Of course because I loved the book, I was extremly worried that a Television adaption would completly ruin it, but I loved every minute of it. Made by the same people who brought you 'The Tenth Kingdom' (which by the way I thought was awful but strangely addictive,'The Hogfather' was a beautifully crafted adaption, including everything and missing out nothing important from the book. It looked like a proper movie, the only thing that told you it was a television adaption was the Skyone Logo before it actually started.

The casting was perfect, even with David Jason as Albert which at first I wasn't convinced with. He didn't over play his role. He's gone back to what he's good at; Suport acting. Marc Warron portrayed a slightly quirky and off beat version of Mr Teatime, which I certainly was not expecting, but over time I did get used to it and has now been added to my list of creepy villains (from children's books and movies; Childcatcher from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Wicked Witch from Wizard of Oz, then Mr Teatime from Hogfather, that is the trinity.) Michelle Dockery, a farely new and up and coming actress WAS Susan in every way. I couldn't picture anyone else in the role. The late Ian Richardson is the Voice of Death which again was just perfect casting; he captured the character perfectly, and the man within the skull, Marnix Van Den Broeke was wonderfully moving and the two brought the character to life perfectly. If there is anything disapointing about Hogfather, I would have to say David Jason. I jsut can#'t look at him without the theme song from Only Fools and Horses running around in my head. I think a lot of people found that very distracting. There are a few other faces in the show you may recognise aswell. Mr Sydney is played by Nigel Planner, who is better known as Neil from 'The Young Ones.' Coincidenly, Neil Pearson who played Vivian from the same show, does the voice of the Raven. You may also recognise the Toy Maker...

The Story itself has the imagination of Alice in Wonderland, the feel and Humour of Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, and the inventiveness of both as it says in the Synopsis on the back cover of the book. Set in a time similar to our secular Christmas on a world similar to our own (except they have magic and no electricity when with us it is the other way round,) The Hogfather, (a jolly fatman who brings presents to kiddies) mysteriously goes missing. Another entity who also knows where everyone lives, Death, steps in for the Hogfather while Susan, a Gothic Governess tries to unravel the mystery of why the Hogfather has suddenly disapeared. And, if the Hogfather is not found, then the Sun will never come up again.

The special effects were done by the same people who worked on the Harry Potter movies, so no surprise there that they were amazing, and lost no quality even though it is for television.

As for the Limited Edition DVD itself, you get your money's worth. A shiny three layered cover design, and inside there is even a little note of Aproval from Terry Pratchett himself. The entire movie is on the first disc, with the special features all packed into Disc 2.

The special features were not at all disapointing, with; 12 featurettes, a Making of Featurette, an Art Gallery and Exclusive deleted Scenes. I would of liked to have seen a Commentary as well but you can't have everything I supose.

I don't have children yet, but I would highly recommend this for a familly viewing as there is something in it for everyone. Humour, wit, imagination, beautiful scenery, dark fantasy and amazing characters. I am not going to say if you liked (blank) you will like this because honestly this is unlike anything I have seen. It takes you back to your childhood, when there were so much more television shows like this. I am not at all disapointed with the result of this adaption of my favourite book, it moves at a good pace, and is faithful to the book in every way, with some orriginality from some of the actors thrown in of course. (Hit Marc Warren later!) I highly recommend this DVD whether your 8 or 80. 4 stars. If it had a commentary, it would have got 5.

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been much, much, much better, 17 Feb 2008
Su (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Hogfather Limited Edition [DVD] (DVD)
A rule of thumb for writers - if the director offers you a part in the adaptation of your book ... he's only trying to distract you from noticing how bad things are getting.

I was looking forward to Hogfather, it WAS one of my favourites - but since I watched this travesty of casting (and acting) I haven't been able to stomach the thought of reading again.

One of my biggest problems is with the casting of Mark Warren as Mr Teatime, or as the character would say Mr Te-a-ti-may and not as Warren insisted Te-a-tam-ay, which would make him Teatame not Teatime. Warren is the flavour of the month, but as displayed by his roles in Messiah 5 and Dracula, he's only got one character and that's the one in the series The Hustle. In the extras, which were the build up programmes shown on sky, he says that he based the character of Mr Teatime on Johnny Depps in Willy Wonka, and in a magazine interview he admitted he had never read a Pratchett book in his life, "but I have seen them on the shelf at the airport and that". Next time, mate, read the book and base the character on what's in the book not on what someone else as done, because as an impersonator of other actors you suck.

I don't have as much of a problem as some other fans do with David Jason as Albert (except for the fact that he played is as cuddly David Jason rather than grumpy old ex-wizard Albert). Heaven help us if he is Rincewind.

The only one I think they got right was Banjo.

My distaste for the rewriting of parts of the book, especially what happened in the Tooth Fairy's palace cannot be put into words. I realise that you have to condense a book and miss things out to fit the time constraints but why mess with the "inner babysitter" bit, it's one of my favourite lines in the book and showed Susan's inner strength.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful., 17 Aug 2009
Veronica (Sweden) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hogfather Limited Edition [DVD] (DVD)
As a Terry Pratchett fan, I bought this DVD to satisfy my curiosity about how a Terry Pratchett novel could be turned into film. I was ready to be disappointed.

But I was not. Here was both the imagination, the philosophical depth, the humanity, and of course the humour of Terry Pratchett, in a delightful movie rendition.

The only part that bothered me was the "wolves", which were spoiled to my dog-knowing eyes and exposed as workaholic Belgian Shepherds / Terveurens and nothing else.

A much recommended film, both to Terry Pratchett readers and others.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mis-casting in the Hogfather, 15 Jun 2008
This review is from: Hogfather Limited Edition [DVD] (DVD)
Like most of the people who watched the film 'The Hogfather', I enjoyed the story-line and the special effects; the problems start, I'm afraid, with the casting of Albert (David Jason). While I am aware that a big name will 'pull' watchers, and there are not many names bigger than Jason's, I don't really believe that Terry Pratchett needs this. His name, and his writing, stand on their own. As an avid, or as my wife and kids say, fanatical reader of Pratchett, I can envisage people (actors)who would be perfect in the roles of characters written by this brilliant author, and David Jason is NOT and never could be Albert. The obvious choice - or choices - would have been either Eric Sykes, or the Hogwart's school caretaker in the Harry Potter films. For heaven's sake, David Jason does not resemble in any way, shape, or form, the character written by Pratchett: he would, however, make a great garden gnome.
By the way, Susan Sto Hellit and Mr Teatime the assassin were perfectly cast, and I loved the little cameo at the end which featured Terry Pratchett himself as the toy-shop owner.
The same mistake has been made in 'The colour of magic'. What on earth induced the film makers to cast David Jason as Rincewind? Look at all of the Pratchett illustrations which show Rincewind, and tell me that there is any physical resemblance. Jason is a brilliant actor; I have no problem with that. His reputation and acting abilities are legend: but casting directors should get a grip and first try reading the books they make into films.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hooray for the Hogfather!, 29 April 2007
Saraj H. Cory "MamaRaji" (Sebastopol, California USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hogfather Limited Edition [DVD] (DVD)
In California with no hope of getting the Sky One broadcast for the holidays; pre-ordered my UK region 2 version; it arrived Thursday last (26-4), told my computer we were in the UK, ran an S-Video and Audio through my 90's TV and 80's receiver -- Got to watch the Hogfather in Dolby stereo and wide screen! Hooray! The tech works! All you US fans, go ahead and order this DVD and enjoy the story, I'll go back to the book for the details they couldn't possibly include in so few hours, but the film is truely wonderful. The acting is supherb, the special affects remarkable considering the budget, and the story just as dear as ever. My 7 year old son sat through the entirety and only asked a question every 10 minutes.

4.0 out of 5 stars In the absence of real Magic, not bad., 8 Feb 2008
Thomas B. Jackson "Barry J" (Yeovil, Uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hogfather Limited Edition [DVD] (DVD)
By inclination I tend towards the knockers of this project, on the premise that, like radio the pictures are better in books. However I find it difficult to quarrel with the way that it was produced given the constraints of the medium and the probable budget. I do, like others quarrel with the casting of David Jason in the roll of Albert or at least in the way that he played it, it is clear that he is there for the publicity value and little else he may well stand a better chance as Rincewind.

Most other things have been said and you will gather from my rating that I feel that this was a very creditable exercise. Marc Warren is chilling enough for anyone and the voice he uses is edgy enough to be upsetting (good). Susan is good, Death is terrific, and I never expected to say that, ever. True to the book? Yes I think so.

Hogfather Limited Edition [DVD]
Hogfather Limited Edition [DVD] by Vadim Jean (DVD - 2007)
9.81