5.0 out of 5 stars Summer holiday
I love this film, it's funny,colourful and the songs are great and I am a fan of Cliff!
However the description of a sing-a-long film was disappointing, I thought the lyrics would be on the screen in sing -a long mode and they weren't.
Published on 24 Oct. 2011 by Anne

3.0 out of 5 stars Energetic is good!
Published 1 month ago by jim honeybun

5.0 out of 5 stars Summer holiday, 24 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Summer Holiday [Sing-along] [1963] [DVD] (DVD)

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun for all the Family (as long as they don't take it too seriously!), 4 Aug. 2008
Natasha Catmur (Wiltshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Summer Holiday [Sing-along] [1963] [DVD] (DVD)
I remember really enjoying this when I was a kid so I rented it for my children to see (3 boys aged 8,7 & 7 and a girl aged 4) but I didn't expect them to enjoy it quite as much as they did. They are now driving me mad singing Bachelor Boy almost non-stop but they loved the whole thing. The adventure of travelling around in a bus, the singing and dancing, the fun of "Fagin" doing his mime and the near-wedding to the poor Yugoslav girl - I'd forgotten quite how good it was and the children are really disappointed that I have to send it back. Please don't take it too seriously and just enjoy but I imagine if you are even looking at a review of Summer Holiday then you will enjoy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic stuff! Who forgot the petrol?!!, 14 Sept. 2008
This review is from: Summer Holiday [Sing-along] [1963] [DVD] (DVD)
This film is very much of its time. It is light entertainment and all the better for that. Yes perhaps the story is a bit thin, the plot just a bit predictable. But Cliff Richard, playing very much the "Elvis", as he was seen at the time, sings his heart out and acts surprisingly well. In fact the whole cast is very well done, with The Shadows (the guys on the bikes lead by the inimitable Hank Marvin) making some nice little cameo performances, and playing too. Una stubbs is of course very good too as you might expect. At the time, taking an old London bus on an adventure like this would have been seen as nigh on impossible.Exotic and glamorous too! But the whole film captures a simpler more gentle era. It even captures the now defunct works in London where buses were maintained and refurbished, you can almost smell the oil and grease in the place! Look at the way they rotated them on giant spits!
How many of us have dreamed of taking an old London bus and doing this? I know I have!
This was one of the first films I ever saw and the music screamed up the charts at the time. It has some real classics not least the title song, but what about the heartbreaking "Next time"? Not to mention Bachelor Boy.
"Who forgot the petrol?"!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab, 1 July 2012
This review is from: Summer Holiday [Sing-along] [1963] [DVD] (DVD)
Great film. I remembered it years ago on TV. If you like musicals it is funny and the songs are great... especially summer holiday!

3.0 out of 5 stars Energetic is good!, 13 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Summer Holiday [Sing-along] [1963] [DVD] (DVD)
I can only review the film itself, not a sing-along variation or special edition etc. I am NOT a fan of Cliff Richard, never thought much of him. However, this film, as a vehicle for his music and persona, is excellent, primarily because it doesn't waste time with plotting but just gets straight in with the numbers. I will admit that my volume button was going up and down like a rollercoaster as it switched between quieter dialogue-scenes and loud brassy music. It's a road/holiday trip film - four boys and four girls travelling from Britain to Athens in a London Bus. Nuff Said, its predictable enough.

There is a lot packed into the film, several silly moments along the way, and several romantic plot-moments, all peppered with some good numbers, good dancing, and generally high energy from all the cast - it does not let the audience off the hook, which one is thankful for, and despite its crassy production and its datedness now, I enjoyed it a lot. There were a lot worse pop-musicals from that period.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice family film, 11 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Summer Holiday [Sing-along] [1963] [DVD] (DVD)
I bought this when my daughter (age 7) had been singing "We're all going on a Summer Holiday" in a school concert, so she could see where it came from. I'd never seen it either. It's a bit dated, but it's quite charming and has some nice songs. My daughter absolutely loves it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 10 April 2014
This review is from: Summer Holiday [Sing-along] [1963] [DVD] (DVD)
If there were more stars to tick, I would tick them! I adore this film - it is my all time favourite and I am so happy to now have it in my collection. The whole service I received was fantastic from point of order to delivery which was only within a couple of days. Thank you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Holiday, 19 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Summer Holiday [Sing-along] [1963] [DVD] (DVD)
"Summer Holiday" was the first of a new idea in British films.
It was a tourism film, showing Brits what life was like abroad and a couple of the sights to see.
The film also showed the sort of fun the "English language only" Brits could have abroad!
It also promoted Cliff Richard and the Shadows.
It was intentionally a perfect Holiday. However, I remember as a very young child when the film was originally released, that London Buses had trouble travelling a day in London, let alone a week or more, as far as Athens!
Anyway, it is a wonderful "good time" film. The story is a little bit weak and predictable, the songs may be a little dated, but the music makes the film memorable.
Also, there are some young faces who had long careers in entertainment to come, like Melvin Hayes and Una Stubbs... and of course, Cliff Richards!

5.0 out of 5 stars better than you think! stop sneering!, 23 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Summer Holiday [Sing-along] [1963] [DVD] (DVD)
I bought this film for my six year old, and she loves it, as I did when I was younger.
It is good innocent fun, with a cool retro backing and singa longable songs!
You may not be cliffs greatest fan - I'm certainly not, but I would recommend this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gentle fun, 15 Jan. 2010
H. D. Doel (Wiltshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Summer Holiday [Sing-along] [1963] [DVD] (DVD)
Even my husband enjoyed this! Although, to be honest, I think it was the Routemaster buses, French 2CVs and Una Stubbs that inspired him rather than the singing or Cliff!
This is good, light hearted, family fun. I put it on for two eleven year olds to watch and they were spellbound. After the film had ended they played the singalong version and sang for the rest of the evening. (Yes, the husband joined in too!)

This is gentle, British entertainment with a suitably corny storyline. You don't have to be a Cliff fan to enjoy it but it does help!

Summer Holiday [Sing-along] [1963] [DVD]
Summer Holiday [Sing-along] [1963] [DVD] by Peter Yates (DVD - 2007)