on 16 August 2010
I bought these headphones because of upcoming 7 hr charter flight to Canada. Recent experience of freebie headphones on long haul was very unsatisfactory. The JVC HA-NC80 - Noise Cancelling Foldable Headphones worked very well, reducing the aircraft noise down to a very low level. There was some residual noise, but it was not intrusive. Audio from the movie sound track was very clear, as was music from the audio channels.

Included was a good quality adapter (Would have cost nearly £5 at airport) for aircraft seats with two pin socket.

The electronics store at Gatwick was selling these headphones at a significantly higher price. This Amazon purchase goes down as one of the best ever.
0Comment|101 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 December 2009
we found the earphones comfortable, the sound for watching a film during the flight was good, they do block out some of the aircraft noise and a large amount of surrounding noise, so all in all we are happy with the product.
they are not as good as the equivalent BOSE earphones but then, they are not as expensive either.
unfortunately, the description did not mention that the pack includes aircraft adapters so we unnecessarily purchased a set of those separately.
33 comments|205 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 January 2012
I bought these headphones specifically to use during long-haul flights and they are ideal for this purpose. I fly several times a year between Japan and Northern UK, usually by indirect routes with long flight times.
I used them on Emirates flights between Manchester and Dubai and Dubai and Tokyo in an Airbus A380 and a Boeing 777. With the headphones set in "wide" mode the noise reduction was effective, with a very definite reduction in engine and air-conditioning noises when the noise cancellation was switched on. It was easy to hear the audio and movie soundtrack programmes.
The audio quality was acceptable, and these headphones are also fine for everyday listening with the noise cancelling turned off. They obviously don't have the performance of expensive hifi headphones, but are fine for the price.

They were light and comfortable to wear during the long flights.

They are well-made, and fold easily into the pouch supplied. I know from previous experience that headphones crammed into a flight bag will fall to pieces after a few years use: I expect that these phones, protected by the pouch, have the potential to last a little longer.

Overall, good value for money and fit for purpose as inflight noise reduction headphones.
on 13 April 2011
used these on the plane several times, used in the home as well, the only thing is after several hours your ears start to get a bit warm, but, great price,delivered prompt, the only thing better is "Bose"
on 20 April 2009
They may not be Bose, but these headphones offer really good noise reduction for the price. Nice carry pouch too.
They're great for general use, but really come into their own on flights. I wouldn't go back to using standard headphones on a flight having experienced the joy of noise reduction.
This is our second set, having been really impressed with the first set we bought for our teenage son a year ago. His are still in full working condition so they must be pretty robust too.
0Comment|155 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 April 2013
My wife watches TV. I don't. And we live in an open-plan house. So I'm trying to escape the TV, but I can't, because the noise of screaming brats in talent show audiences is driving me mad, as my previous non-noise-cancelling Sony headphones let all the noise through!

Then I bought these and I can stick my music on, without having to deafen myself by turning the volume up to drown out the TV noise, though the noise cancellation isn't absolutely total, it's good enough to make me happy. I'm sure there are more effective noise cancelling headphones out there, but I doubt that there are more cost-effective noise cancelling headphones out there. These headphones have improved the quality of my life a bit, and I love them for that. And music sounds balanced and vibrant through them, as well.
on 31 August 2009
I have used this product on a Virgin high speed train, and by switching between on and off, a reduction in background noise could be heard. The padded headset also reduces much of the background noise. I have not tried it on an aircraft yet.
on 5 September 2010
Good build quality, and good non boomy sound quality, especially for the price these do well on sound.

Noise reduction at this price/range level is basic, and whilst it does do SOME REDUCTION , it is about 25% as effective as top of the range, if you want strong noise reduction you need to be looking at £ 150 + phones, like Audio Technica or BOSE or Sony 5000 model.

If you want close to audiophile sound and good NR, then look at Sennheiser PCX350 / 450 , these offer the best sound for this type of phone, however NOT the best noise reduction, again Bose / AT / Sony offer the best NR without any shadow of a doubt. ( My personal Favourite is Audio Technica 7 , NR as good as BOSE , but better sound quality ( less artificial ) and cost < 50% of BOSE price. )

Having head BOSE / Audio Technica , I can safely say these are no where near as good, neither in sound quality of noise reduction, however, they still have their purposes, and for a low cost NR phone they are much better than the non branded alternatives.

If you want to spend a bit more, the Goldring NS1000 phones are better for NR.

If you can spend around £ 150 the Audio Technica / Sony are unbeatable for NR and high end sound.

Conclusion: These JVCs are ok, not bad, offer a little NR and no problem with audio quality.....for the price, they are decent and much better than not having a NR phone at all.....

To sum up, these are 75% of BOSE quality, for 15% of the price.
0Comment|110 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 December 2011
These headphones were exactly what I wanted. They don't cut out all noise, but do a great job of cancelling out the engine and air-conditioner noise on my regular train trip. I have occasionally noticed a bit of interference when they are switched on, and assume this is a result of my smart phone as a music player, but this is only occasional and not a major problem for me. I'm looking forward to using these on an upcoming long-haul flight, where last time I really struggled to hear the films which had a dynamic range of sound on the basic airline headphones. In summary - they do work, but are not the most attractive headphones ever - what you see is what you get.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 20 September 2011
I've taken to using the bus on a 35 mile journey into town in an attempt to reduce my carbon footprint! It's pretty boring sitting for up to an hour and half on the journey each way and so I listen to pod-casts. However, the rattles and clatters of the bus as it hurtles through the countryside (made worse by all the potholes following two bad winters) makes audibility of speech difficult at times using conventional ear-buds. I'd found that over-the-ear headphones were a bit better and reckoned that these noise-cancelling ones might be even better. I've tested them on a return journey of 70 miles and am convinced that they improved audibility as they most definitely cut down the ambient noise. I tested them with noise-cancelling turned on and off and found the headphones were quite good at reducing extraneous noise even when off, but were even better with the active noise cancelling switched on. I compared the two noise cancelling options: "wide" and "low" and, for my hearing on a bus, wide was marginally better at reducing interfering noise. The sound quality is good, at least for speech.
The headphones are quite bulky, but fold into a more compact flat shape that fits in the pouch provided. The ear muffs are comfortable to wear. There's a lot of cable but I had it tamed in a Belkin iPOD EARBUD CLIP * CBL MNGMNT; BLACK. The two switches on the right-earpiece are rather small and I found I had to take off the headphones to make sure I was switching the correct one.
Occasionally the left earphone picked up interference and I don't know if it was some electronic transmission to the bus or my iPhone being too near, but it wasn't a major problem. I had the ear-phones connected via Belkin Mic with Remote for iPhone and it worked fine with good sound for a call.