4.0 out of 5 stars good solid product
we found the earphones comfortable, the sound for watching a film during the flight was good, they do block out some of the aircraft noise and a large amount of surrounding noise, so all in all we are happy with the product.
they are not as good as the equivalent BOSE earphones but then, they are not as expensive either.
unfortunately, the description did not...
Published on 5 Dec. 2009 by B. Wentzel

3.0 out of 5 stars Where is the noise cancellation?
As regular headphones go, these are fine - good sound quality, easy to transport due to the folding frame and the pouch that they come with.

However, I've tested them in a variety of different environments - on a train, on the underground, and my workplace (where I'm surrounded by machines that churn away all day). They do reduce extraneous noise due to the...
Published on 26 Aug. 2009 by Animal

4.0 out of 5 stars good solid product, 5 Dec. 2009
B. Wentzel - See all my reviews
This review is from: JVC HA-NC80 - Noise Cancelling Foldable Headphones with Carry Pouch (Electronics)
unfortunately, the description did not mention that the pack includes aircraft adapters so we unnecessarily purchased a set of those separately.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super headphones, 16 Aug. 2010
I bought these headphones because of upcoming 7 hr charter flight to Canada. Recent experience of freebie headphones on long haul was very unsatisfactory. The JVC HA-NC80 - Noise Cancelling Foldable Headphones worked very well, reducing the aircraft noise down to a very low level. There was some residual noise, but it was not intrusive. Audio from the movie sound track was very clear, as was music from the audio channels.

Included was a good quality adapter (Would have cost nearly £5 at airport) for aircraft seats with two pin socket.

The electronics store at Gatwick was selling these headphones at a significantly higher price. This Amazon purchase goes down as one of the best ever.

4.0 out of 5 stars Improves audibility, 20 Sept. 2011
Bluebell (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I've taken to using the bus on a 35 mile journey into town in an attempt to reduce my carbon footprint! It's pretty boring sitting for up to an hour and half on the journey each way and so I listen to pod-casts. However, the rattles and clatters of the bus as it hurtles through the countryside (made worse by all the potholes following two bad winters) makes audibility of speech difficult at times using conventional ear-buds. I'd found that over-the-ear headphones were a bit better and reckoned that these noise-cancelling ones might be even better. I've tested them on a return journey of 70 miles and am convinced that they improved audibility as they most definitely cut down the ambient noise. I tested them with noise-cancelling turned on and off and found the headphones were quite good at reducing extraneous noise even when off, but were even better with the active noise cancelling switched on. I compared the two noise cancelling options: "wide" and "low" and, for my hearing on a bus, wide was marginally better at reducing interfering noise. The sound quality is good, at least for speech.
The headphones are quite bulky, but fold into a more compact flat shape that fits in the pouch provided. The ear muffs are comfortable to wear. There's a lot of cable but I had it tamed in a Belkin iPOD EARBUD CLIP * CBL MNGMNT; BLACK. The two switches on the right-earpiece are rather small and I found I had to take off the headphones to make sure I was switching the correct one.
Occasionally the left earphone picked up interference and I don't know if it was some electronic transmission to the bus or my iPhone being too near, but it wasn't a major problem. I had the ear-phones connected via Belkin Mic with Remote for iPhone and it worked fine with good sound for a call.

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific value, 20 April 2009
They may not be Bose, but these headphones offer really good noise reduction for the price. Nice carry pouch too.
They're great for general use, but really come into their own on flights. I wouldn't go back to using standard headphones on a flight having experienced the joy of noise reduction.
This is our second set, having been really impressed with the first set we bought for our teenage son a year ago. His are still in full working condition so they must be pretty robust too.

5.0 out of 5 stars headphones review, 13 April 2011
used these on the plane several times, used in the home as well, the only thing is after several hours your ears start to get a bit warm, but, great price,delivered prompt, the only thing better is "Bose"

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value and sound, plus noise reduction helps a bit, 5 Sept. 2010
Good build quality, and good non boomy sound quality, especially for the price these do well on sound.

Noise reduction at this price/range level is basic, and whilst it does do SOME REDUCTION , it is about 25% as effective as top of the range, if you want strong noise reduction you need to be looking at £ 150 + phones, like Audio Technica or BOSE or Sony 5000 model.

If you want close to audiophile sound and good NR, then look at Sennheiser PCX350 / 450 , these offer the best sound for this type of phone, however NOT the best noise reduction, again Bose / AT / Sony offer the best NR without any shadow of a doubt. ( My personal Favourite is Audio Technica 7 , NR as good as BOSE , but better sound quality ( less artificial ) and cost < 50% of BOSE price. )

Having head BOSE / Audio Technica , I can safely say these are no where near as good, neither in sound quality of noise reduction, however, they still have their purposes, and for a low cost NR phone they are much better than the non branded alternatives.

If you want to spend a bit more, the Goldring NS1000 phones are better for NR.

If you can spend around £ 150 the Audio Technica / Sony are unbeatable for NR and high end sound.

Conclusion: These JVCs are ok, not bad, offer a little NR and no problem with audio quality.....for the price, they are decent and much better than not having a NR phone at all.....

To sum up, these are 75% of BOSE quality, for 15% of the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really great product, 17 April 2012
First of all ignore any other reveiews that compare these to Bose. There is only a slight difference in quality but a HUGE difference in sound.

I have recently returned from America where I wore these all the way there and back. They were extremely comfortable and reduced the dull engine noise for the whole flight. They are so good that my girlfriend and best mate bought a pair after trying mine.

An absolute bargain. Extremely glad I had them for such a long flight

4.0 out of 5 stars Noise cancellation headphones, 31 Aug. 2009
M. Ashton (UK) - See all my reviews
I have used this product on a Virgin high speed train, and by switching between on and off, a reduction in background noise could be heard. The padded headset also reduces much of the background noise. I have not tried it on an aircraft yet.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Value -Good sound quality with some noise reduction, 30 Dec. 2010
D. Collier - See all my reviews
You receive the headphones, the flight adapter and a nice little carrying pouch. The headphones look quite stylish when folded but I have to admit that they look awkward when they are worn. It has a strange design with the band bending outwards. I find them comfortable. The general sound quality is excellent, with great bass. The noise cancellation is fun. At first I couldn't hear any difference - they don't have the abilities of a Bose headset but then again they also don't have the price!! I switched the power switch on and off, expecting the outside world to disappear but nothing. I tried the "wide" setting and suddenly I could hear a difference. A very specific noise, the hum of a heater in the room, completely vanished. On a short bus journey later in the day the engine noise of the bus shrank to an insignificant background buzz. For travelling the feature works, but it is very limited in range so don't expect miracles.

5.0 out of 5 stars These are excellent., 16 April 2013
My wife watches TV. I don't. And we live in an open-plan house. So I'm trying to escape the TV, but I can't, because the noise of screaming brats in talent show audiences is driving me mad, as my previous non-noise-cancelling Sony headphones let all the noise through!

Then I bought these and I can stick my music on, without having to deafen myself by turning the volume up to drown out the TV noise, though the noise cancellation isn't absolutely total, it's good enough to make me happy. I'm sure there are more effective noise cancelling headphones out there, but I doubt that there are more cost-effective noise cancelling headphones out there. These headphones have improved the quality of my life a bit, and I love them for that. And music sounds balanced and vibrant through them, as well.