on 20 July 2008
This is an excellent series with true BBC investigation and great contribution from experts and people that lived during the times that some of the programs refer to.
It is definitely worthwhile buying and watching the whole series and it gives many hours of entertainment at a very good price. I actually think that buying the 3 series in one box is a great advantage and worth the extra money as you can not get enough of it.Great value!
Please go ahead and buy all 3 and you will enjoy it for sure!!
on 2 February 2009
Coast is ambitious in it's look around Britains coastline.
Understandably and (disappointingly) it can't look at every
nook and cranny but now and again they are guilty of missing
whole chunks of coastline.As an example they went from Edinburgh
to the Border and ignored everything in between,a shame as a lot
of British history is tied up there.I'm sure other parts of the
UK feel the same.Saying all that,Coast does offer a lot of
insights into the varied coastlines around the UK.I would
certainly recommend it to others.
on 8 October 2012
I was expecting a better , more interesting, informative documentaries after reading all the 5 star reviews for "The Coast" series before i decided to purchase this. Unfortunately it seems to have bits of interesting documentary thrown in with 60 percent or more "reality filler TV show" type of "stuff" too. Such as cooking crabs or about how a lady takes care of lost baby seal..and nurses it back to health.etc with reality tv show types of presentation and commentary , opinion a bit too. I really found a difficult time staying interested in what seemed like lots of "filler" material ..and not enough about history, geography etc of the places being supposedly viewed (which was really a lost chance for a great idea for a informative documentary). I also didnt care much for Neil Oliver either..his "style" gets pretty old quickly..(although he must be pretty popular to have now starred in several documentaries..none of which i liked really either..and seemed too "fluffy".)

It does have historical information about some of the regions and interesting information about the cities towns, and regions..and does have nice camera footage of many of the regions..the problems i have with "The Coast" series are 1. the seeming 60 percent "filler"..2. the presentation is too reality tv like and "fluffy". 3. I didnt care for Neil Oliver nor the young lady with surname of Robertson. although she was better than Neil Oliver in my opinion. He just seems too out of sync with what a documentary presentater should be like..a sober, academic and objective as well as very knowledgeable person who stays mostly in the BACKGROUND and focuses on the subject at hand as well as INTERESTING...but this only gets 3 stars for me..and i really feel it should be 2.5 stars.
on 1 May 2009
Superb filming, knowledgeable presenters, an absolute joy to watch.
The 3 series box of 9 DVDs, good value for money, highly recommended.

Kieron.
on 2 June 2010
What feels like a very self indulgent purchase of a cracking series. I love everything about 'Coast' and it is a real treat to re-visit. I can't wait for the winter nights so I can tuck myself up with all four series.

Indispensible for the armchair traveller or anyone interested in anything British- history, archaeology, community - or the breathtaking cinematography..

To paraphrase Johnson, if anyone is tired of 'Coast', they are tired of life!
on 29 June 2013
Got to love this series and if you do then its worth purchasing this set. Look out for the special deal prices so you get a bargain and makes a great gift for those hard to buy for people .
on 15 March 2013
Excellent production, well presented and a valuable guide to lots of places to visit and learn about the history of our Great British isles. Production is in wide screen and the camera views and aerial shots are brilliant. Presenters are well informed and discuss the historic and local interest at a level that is both informative and engaging.
on 8 March 2011
Coast is an excellent series! I caught a few episodes on TV and ordered the boxset to have a better overview. It is a series of documentary style programmes about the coastline of the UK.

Just from hearing that description, I would not be enticed to watch it but the presenters do a very good job of drawing you in and holding your attention in a captivating way.

The added interest for me is that I live overseas and so I enjoy hearing about and seeing glimpses of my home land and it makes me very much more appreciative of beauty there that is so very much taken for granted.
on 30 March 2013
I bought this for my husband for Christmas. He loved it. It is an ideal gift for someone who looks forward to going to see these places for themselves or for planning a retirement trip.
on 22 October 2009
This is absolutely fabulous! I was totally ignorant of the series until I saw a repeat from series 3 on BBC2. You'll never realise what is so good about our shores until you've watched these beauties. The crew must of had an amazing time with the travels.
Well done BBC!
I am now waiting to be given series 4 as a present.I've already seen it on BBC2 and recommend it.