5.0 out of 5 stars This Blu-Ray has the Midas touch
'Goldfinger' is one of my favourite movies and was the first DVD disc I ever played. I put off buying a Blu-ray player until 'Goldfinger' was available on that format. So, putting that disc into my brand new Panasonic DMP-BD35 player was a much anticipated event, fraught with the possibility of either fulfilment or of bitter disappointment.
Fortunately, I was served...
Published on 27 Mar 2009 by D. A. Campbell

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun, but a little over-rated
Probably the most iconic of all the Bond films, but time hasn't been as kind to the movie as it has to some of the others in the Bond canon. Sure, it has great villains, the most iconic car, great panache and humour, but the fact is it was directed by a bit of a hack in Guy Hamilton, who proved himself to be even more of a hack in subsequent Bond films. Some sequences,...
Published 23 months ago by Mr. Ja McLaughlin

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this toy, 5 Oct 2012
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
Hopeless piece of rubbish wheels fell off cut my finger cut my arm my brother didn't like it either so won't be buying it again

2.0 out of 5 stars not quite right., 20 Feb 2012
Mrs. Margaret Wride "lincs gardener" (Lincolnshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Goldfinger [VHS] [1964] (VHS Tape)
It was my fault I did not read the description correctly. I wanted the DVD for my husband but bought this by mistake. We do have an old VHS player so he can still watch it, but I will be very careful next time I purchase an older film for him.

2.0 out of 5 stars No way is this the best Bond movie, no way, 30 Jan 2008
Gimmicky, disjionted, over reliant on this new gadgetry which was suddenly very appealing to a fast growing consumerist society, it has far less of the essence of James Bond as in the Flemming novels than previous Bond movies. It has things in it that make it memorable, but its biggest fault was to take us down the 'wealthy mad man with a fiendish weapon of mass destruction tucked away in a holed out volcano, with a couple of hundred uniformed henchmen-cum-mercenaries happily working for him' storyline, the kind of stuff which gave Mike Myers so much material with which to ridicule the formula. It is only Pussy Galore that stops me giving this movie the dreaded one star treatment. Really, this was not the path to take our beloved 007 down. You want a proper Bond movie? Look no further than the grown up From Russia With Love.

2.0 out of 5 stars Dull, brutish and long..., 3 Sep 2007
Robert Machin (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Oh, the disappointment. In my mind's eye, Goldfinger was a rattling good Bond movie, but in reality turns out after these many years to be a piece of cheap, tawdry rubbish. Watched it with my 12 year old daughter and was embarrassed in so many ways. Wooden, hammy, nasty, dull, sexist in a way that must have seemed faintly appalling even in 1964... in numbering its faults, it's hard to know where to stop. As for Connery - he seems to smirk his way through, actually doing very little other than drinking, smoking and assaulting passing women (there's a more than passing resemblance to Sid the Sexist in a tuxedo). Isn't this often the way in Bond movies though - it's never very clear to me what our masterspy is actually there for.

I always maintained that Connery was the one true Bond. I'm not so sure now - maybe Pierce Brosnan is more interesting, Daniel Craig certainly is, and Bourne exposes this once and for all for the dated piffle it certainly is.

Two stars for Honor Blackman, who despite being saddled with that 'Pussy Galore' tag (oh, my sides) somehow manages to emerge with dignity intact.

1.0 out of 5 stars Far-from Gold Fingers picked my order!, 21 Dec 2011
J. Edwards - See all my reviews
This review is from: Goldfinger [DVD] [1964] (DVD)
I was hoping to purchase Goldfinger as part of my Mum's wish to do away with her VHS collection of Bond films, so ordered the first three Connery films (Goldfinger being the only one from Discs4all).

Imagine my surprise when The Living Daylights arrived instead.

Not a disaster by any means as it is still a wanted gift, but frankly I just can't be bothered with the hassle of returning the item.

I just wanted to share my one and only experience of buying from Discs4all.

2.0 out of 5 stars old-fashioned, uneventful bore., 14 Nov 2006
Mr. A. E. Ward Davies (Canterbury , England) - See all my reviews
reading a recent article that stated this was one of the best "bond" films ever, made my morning orange juice indigestible.

in simple terms, this has got to be one of the most boring, old-fashioned(even then) and generally over-rated bond films ever made. just like sean connery is woefully miscast 95% of his time in the role, with the odd exception here and there(his last three entries were an improvement).

there is nothing of interest to sustain this shambles. the only highlight for me, is the fight between bond and oddjob. that is good; the rest isn't.

Goldfinger [DVD] [1964]
Goldfinger [DVD] [1964] by Guy Hamilton (DVD - 2007)