Format: Audio CD|Change

on 1 April 2007
For some unknown reason this album is not commercially available in the UK. Amazon got it for me from the USA.

Perhaps someone thinks Celtic music is not liked here. I got the same impression a couple of years ago at an Anuna concert. But anyone who enjoys beautiful female voices and fine singing will love this album.

I came to it as a Hayley Westenra fan, wanting to own everything she has done. My first experience of Hayley was at a live concert, and not knowing what to expect, her impact on me was huge. Within fifteen seconds of the start I was fighting back the tears, such is the beauty of her voice. I simply couldn't believe my own ears.

This CD is fantastic, all the five girl singers have beautiful voices, and I enjoyed Mairead's fiddle playing too.

There is a combination of solos by the girls and group numbers, often featuring stunning harmonies. For Hayley to claim that she is not used to singing in a group is misleading. Some of her backing vocals are sensational!

Tracks as follows:

The Sky and the Dawn and the Sun is an introduction to the girls, and you hear all of the voices in turn. With a heavy orchestral and choral backing,it does its job well.

The Prayer, sung by Chloe, probably the weakest of the five singers but she still has a voice I'm sure some international stars would die for. Chloe is still only 16, so can only get better.

Newgrange, a haunting song about some ancient ruins near Dublin. Sung by Orla, who has the lowest voice in the group,and also plays the harp. Nice.

Over the Rainbow. Not a song I ever liked much. But this a capella version, in four part harmony is stunning. Chloe sings the lead, with Hayley, Orla and Meav supporting. This is the first stunning example of how Hayley in particular can turn a song into something magical without even singing the lead.

Granuaille's Dance. A Jig, played by Mairead.

The Blessing - The first of three solo tracks by Lisa. My least favourite of her three, but still an enjoyable listen. Lisa too has a terrific voice.

Dulaman - This is the first of four successive tracks of stunning brilliance. This is an up tempo number, sung in Gaelic by Meav with a drum and male choral backing. Terrific stuff, and on first listen my favourite track.

Beyond the Sea. What can I say about this? By far the best version of this song I have ever heard (but on this album I find myself saying that on song after song), with interweaving voices and beaufiful harmonies, the girls alternating on singing the lead. Beautiful and atmospheric, with a fiddle solo in the middle, I love it!

The last Rose of Summer. This is gorgeous, sung by Meav and Hayley, in my book the two strongest singers, with some beautiful harmonies towards the end. This is I think my favourite track. Again, the best version of this song I have ever heard.

Caledonia. This is a beautiful, beautiful song, sung beautifully by Lisa.

Lascia Ch'io Pianga. I suppose Hayley had to show her classical background at some point and this is it. As always with Hayley, it is sung with exemplary control and precision, using her beautiful voice brilliantly. Since I first saw her, Hayley has got even better.

Carrickfergus. Orla, sings this gentle song, accompanying herself on the harp. Delightful.

Vivaldi's Rain. Sung by Chloe, I think this is the weakest song on the album, but perhaps that is becuse I can't help comparing it with the same song sung in English by Hayley on her album Pure. Hayley's outstanding range and control makes her version far superior in my opinion. But this is still a good song, well sung - I've just been spoiled.

The Voice. Lisa again. "I am the Voice", she sings, and who would argue? A lovely, haunting song.

Scarborough Fair. Hayley's second solo. I was initially disappointed by this, not sure why but perhaps because I prefer the Paul Simon arrangement of this song. I remembered I had enjoyed Sarah Brightman's verion of it, and thinking it might be better than Hayley's, played both in succession. That soon put me right, Haley made Sarah sound horribly out of tune and weak voiced! This is a good version though, and I have since learned to appreciate it for the fine piece of singing that it is. As always, Hayley seems to stamp her class on everything she does, seemingly without effort. Brilliant.

Mo Ghile Mear. The finale. The album ends as it starts, with a song showcasing each of the girls in turn, and there is even a drum solo! It is a nice song and a good way to end this album

So overall, I thoroughly enjoyed this, and haven't had it off the player since I got it. Right now it would be on the desert island with me - it is that good. Then only thing it hasn't done, compared to my other desert island discs, is stand the test of time. But I'm sure it will, this sort of beauty is timeless.
22 comments|85 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
So there I was browsing books at my favorite Barnes and Noble book store. While looking at all the new arrivals I heard the most beautiful music begin to play. At first I hummed along and continued to browse the books. My mood was uplifted almost immediately. When Caledonia began to play I made my way back to the music department to see what was playing. It was this CD. I purchased a copy of the CD right then and there. Now I've had the CD home for a little over two weeks and I've listened to it already countless times. It has the power to make the commute to work happier, housework less tiresome, writing more productive.

This excellent CD is populated with excellent orchestral music accompanied by the most crystal clear angelic voices you'll ever hear. Two favorites are The Prayer and Calendonia. There isn't a single dud on this CD.

I highly recommend this CD and have already purchased others by this group of talented artists. This is one of the best CD purchases I have ever made. I am quite sure that if you like well done celtic music or just love music period, that this would be a great purchase you'll never regret.
on 28 April 2008
This is a beautiful concert with the lit castle as the background. There is the addition of Hayley Westenra - a Kiwi who sings the best version of "Are you going to Scarborough Fair" that I have ever heard. The other singers also sing beautifully (Lisa Kelly is my favourite). Again, their version of Enya's "Orinocco Flow" is better than what Enya can producxe because it is played with real instruments and a beautiful backing choir.
Like their first DVD, it is great and I hope that they will make many more because I will buy them all.
on 31 December 2010
I have now watched this DVD several times. The Music is just amazing! I love everything about it The Location, The absolutely wonderful Music and the Most beautiful voices you could wish to hear. I would recommend this DVD to anyone who truly loves captivating Celtic music.
on 7 October 2009
My son was browsing the net and was watching some "You Tube" Videos. He disapeared for a little while and I started browsing myself. Until "You Tube" I had never heard of "Celtic Woman". I listened to what they had on "You Tube" and was completely blown away, not only by their beautiful voices, but how beautiful the "Celtic Woman" were themselves. That was it, I was hooked. Their voices are so pure and crisp that I just had to have the album. The whole musical arrangement is a joy to listen too. Not only with music, but quite often without music. The sound of their voices alone is a joy. If ever you feel "Stressed" put on "Celtic Woman" and you will soon feel "De-stressed". Will definately be buying more albums by them.
on 7 November 2007
Unfortunatly I purchased this DVD about a week ago from a well known "High Street" store; it would have been far cheaper from Amazon. I must have played the whole DVD at least a dozen times. If you like .... sort of Classical Folk with 5 incredible female vocalists and an electric fiddle player, not to mention a choir and a 32 piece orchastra, I recomend you buy it now !
on 7 June 2009
I think my favourite song is still Granuaile's Dance (I've attached that one) - I knew some of the songs as I'd heard some of them before on YouTube, and The Voice is also great. But many of the others do all sound quite similar - beautiful singing, but not a huge amount of drama (crescendos and the like). Always they sang beautifully but sometime three songs in a row that don't sound all that different gets just a tad repetitive.

I haven't listened solidly to it all the way through yet, and I suspect the quieter songs sounding similar is because when I have been listening to it it has been on a none too quiet train or bus, but the louder, more energetic ones most definitely stood out for me.

I don't regret buying it though. And although I had to also get the Amazon Downloader, it took no time at all and I had all the songs!

It has grown on me with more listens, and although I think there are too few dramatic songs, the Celtic Women all sing beautifully and when they get some energy going the results can be wonderful!
VINE VOICEon 21 June 2009
Nearly all of the songs on this album are quite stunning. All of the singers produce pure, angelic sounds, whether as soloists or harmonizing with each other. The orchestrations are equally good. And there is a good balance of lively, uptempo songs and more contemplative ones. I hadn't heard of Celtic Woman before they were recommended to me on Amazon, and I bought this album on the strength of other reviews. This doesn't always work for me, but after listening to 'A New Journey' twice I knew that the other reviewers were spot on. My only minor gripe is that the word 'Celtic' in the title is misleading. In this context 'Celtic' is a marketing term and nothing to do with the ethnic origins of the music. How else can we explain the presence of 'Somewhere Over The Rainbow' and songs by Handel and Trenet, and the absence of anything Welsh or Breton? Oh well, maybe I'm just a grumpy old Welshman... Still, buy this album; it will have a very wide appeal.
on 18 May 2012
i found a clip of celtic woman on youtube.
i cant stop watching it.
five beautiful women singing fantastic songs.
a violin player that dances,and plays like an angel,and is so cute.
the orcestra and backing singers are fantastic.
it is the best dvd i have ever seen.
cant wait to buy more from these fantastic artists.
on 13 June 2013
As I first heard this Music I was so impresst how they preformt it, something in theye voices just keept turning all day long.in my head and as I saw them the second time and fining out what I liked about this I started getting more interessted in their Prefomence it was like the Galeons woman in the front of a ship, and they sang so relaxing what made me just listening again and again.
I do enjoy telling my frends about them and they alwas says after: Youe are lost, but we do understand you as we was getting imvolved in this as well.