Stargate SG-1 - Season 9 [DVD]
Format: DVDChange
Price:£19.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 7 February 2007
Okay, so the Goa'uld are finally defeated, along with the Replicators, and the Jaffa have gained their freedom, bringing the Milky Way into a state of peace, or as our heroes find out, not a long-lasting one as an offshot group of the Ancients (The Gatebuilders), ascended and forcing many into a religious cult or else they will die, and they are called the Ori, the deadliest foes yet.

Richard Dean Anderson sadly retired from the series as a main character, and he is replaced by Ben Browder of Farscape fame, those hearing about this now and worrying about it, don't, as Ben is a talented actor and you quickly care for his character, Cameron Mitchell. Another temporary shock is that Amanda Tapping is absent in the first few eps of this season (Due to having a child), but her boots are filled in by ANOTHER Farscape veteran, Claudia Black.

Not to worry, this show does not become 'Fargate', it still shares the same quality writing, as a whole new can of worms is opened up for writers to use, and even new writers come in, such as Alan Macolough who writes several eps, all of which are highly memorable. But not a single bad or boring episode is in sight.

Extras are plenty too, with commentaries brimming along with behind the scenes footage for fans to enjoy, so please do as another season of pure Stargate goodness is in your hands.
on 26 March 2007
I was lucky enough to be able to watch this ninth season of `Stargate: S.G.1' in conjunction with the second `Stargate: Atlantis' season and while Atlantis continues to be an enjoyable, engrossing and genre-experimenting addition to the original, for me this ninth season proves that the big boys (and girl) are still S.G.1 and reigning supreme as they approach their tenth year on our screens.

`Avalon, Part 1' is a weak season opener, especially for new kid on the block Ben Browder, as it doesn't inspire the viewer with much confidence in this replacement for veteran cheeky-chappy Richard Dean Anderson. However, as the season progresses the character is definitely fleshed out more and he soon fits in nicely with the tightly-knit S.G.1 team. However, the bottom line is that this is still a character who bares a striking similarity in disposition to Browder's other well-known TV personality- Farscape's John Crichton- with that same irreverent humour and easy-going attitude, but it's a style that clearly works for Browder and it's difficult not to find that likeable (eventually). Beau Bridges' introduction is made with equally little fanfare, but his character is one who I found myself liking more readily- he approaches the role of the General of the base differently to Don S. Davis, with more of an everyman approach, although he never hesitates to exert the full force of his office against unfriendly aliens, or humans when required.

Largely thanks to the development of this season's main story-arc with the introduction of God-wannabes the Ori and their powerful minions known as Priors, this ninth season becomes surprisingly mesmerising in very short order. Beginning with the concluding part and then into episode 3- `Origin', this season soon establishes itself as one of the best `Stargate: S.G.1' offerings in years. The use of Arthurian legend in this season is spread pretty thickly in the beginning and had me worried that this fantasy element might not work in a predominantly science-fiction-oriented series, but very soon the parallels the writers draw between the Arthurian myth and the familiar Stargate set-up, become very inventive and come to work surprisingly well at contrasting against the new and growing force of evil spreading through the galaxy. In the first five episodes that other recognizable `Farscape' regular Claudia Black and her seductively disobedient alter-ego Vala are another reason to be enchanted by this season. Vala brings such humour and life to the series that I was really disappointed when she parted company with S.G.1, despite the welcome return of Sam Carter following her brief career change. Thankfully Vala returns towards the end of the season and here's hoping it's not the last we see of her.

This season's other major success is in its stand-alone stories that continue to present unique, punchy and creative sci-fi ideas to its audience. In particular episode 9- `Prototype' and episode 13- `Ripple Effect' are a couple of my favourites, the first of which concerns the discovery of a prodigy of Anubis frozen on a distant planet and the second has multiple S.G.1 teams pouring through the Stargate from diverse alternate realities (high jinks ensue), both of which had me glued to my seat. As with many previous seasons of `S.G.1' a lot of development in the main story-arc is left to the last ten minutes of the final episode, only to leave the viewer with an excruciating cliff-hanger to be endured until the release of the tenth season on DVD. I love it!
on 24 September 2007
With the departure of Richard Dean Anderson at the end of Season 8 & the introduction of Beau Bridges & Ben Browder, I for one was very apprehensive about Season 9.I could not have been more wrong. The series still goes from strength to strength.I didn't really like Farscape which Ben stared in (with Claudia Black-Vala in S/G),so I was very scheptical about how this season would work with depature of Richard,but I am glad to say that the series continues to go great guns.It's got the classic Stargate cliff hangers & is a real shame that after Season 10 there will be no more.
Both Ben & Claudia fit well into their new roles & it's also good to see that RDA hadn't gone totally, the same goes for Don S.Davies.
If you have the first 8 seasons then you must get this season.
on 12 February 2007
Since I have the other box sets I had to have this one. I hadn't seen all of the episodes including the finale. When I did see them all I was cheered up. Although some may say that Ben Browders replacement of Anderson was just a way to add a new and younger version of the O'Neill character I for one dont. He adds his own spin on SG-1's leader even going as far as to admit he is certainly now replacement for O'Neill.

Vala is by far the funniest character with her unusual look on life and not to mention the sarcastic yet expected jokes she and Mitchell have proved to be good gambles.

Another replacement is the General Landry bringing back the spirit of General Hammond and yet again some new ways of how to deal with Stargate Command. Critics would say that this show should have ended in the 7th season but with the new enemy 'the ori' we now learn more about the Ancients and how they lived.

In keeping with tradition, old myths are given a new spin with Camelot, Arthur and Merlin having a makeover this time. We also learnt that even the ascended are not safe and the realistic threat of disease is finally realised.

The box set designs have once again changed (I have no idea why they keep changing)and I was unfortunate to have a mis-print on the cover of my 3rd disc and the outer box with regards to episode line-ups. (3 episodes were in the wrong order yet correctly played on the disc).

I enjoyed this season and its good to learn more about those that played heavily in our own evolution. Sadly with the ever looming ending that would be the 10th season I rest in peace knowing that with the addition of season 9 to my collection was and is well worth the money I paid.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
When i saw this season for the first time on sky 1 i did'nt at the time think i was going to like it with the departure of Richard Dean Anderson as a regular we see the introduction to some new characters and the return of some familiar ones aswell in the 1st episode we see the arrival of general Hank Landry played by the award winning Beau Bridges and Lt Colonel Cameron Mitchell played by Ben(Farscape)Browder also we see the return of Claudia(Farscape)Black as Vala Mal Doran from last years Prometheus unbound and Lexa(Andromada)Doig as Landrys Daughter doctor Elizabeth Lamb also the original cast apart from Anderson reprise their familiar roles of Tel'c Jackson and Carter we are introduced to a new enemy the ori which pose a brand new threat to our galaxy also we see the introduction of a brand new ship the oddesy after the prometheus is destroyed by the ori mid season.

All in all a great season and must have for any fan!!!
on 17 August 2013
I really like SG1, love to watch it whenever it's on TV, have never seen a really bad episode, & own some DVD's of it too. However, I had not seen any of season 9 until I bought this. What can I say other than; "OH DEAR! What on earth were they thinking! This show has been completely butchered!" Without Jack O'Neil & the dynamic that exists between him, Carter, & the rest of the team, there really isn't much left to like. Even the great Science Fiction we've all come to know & love has been replaced by religious fantasy nonsense that just leaves me bewildered. Whoever thought that taking SG1 in a this direction was a good idea needs to be fired!

The two actors that have been 'cut & pasted' from Farscape into this season just ruin the whole experience for me. Like I said in the title, it's more Fargate than Stargate, & I'd advise true Stargate/Sci-Fi fans to avoid this travesty at all costs. They should've called it "Stargate The Next Generation" & done it as a whole new series! It's so bad, that after enduring the first four episodes, I don't wanna watch it anymore. This is going on ebay.

EDIT: After being assured by a friend that season 9 does start to pick up & get better, I decided to give it another go. Well, when Samantha Carter returns (& Vala departs) it does indeed improve & goes back to being more Sci-Fi, phew! The story lines get better & the new team starts to gel together, it has a pretty decent end of season cliff hanger too. With my initial rant over, the 2 stars I previously gave it have been changed to 3 stars.
on 27 August 2012
I really enjoyed season 9. It was somewhat strange with new the new guy Mitchell taking over the reigns from Jack o' Neil. I think I would have enjoyed a much better send off for Richard Dean Anderson.

Some of the changes were so overwhelming. Carter was initially not involved, apparently assigned to Area 51, Then there is the mischievous but intriguing Vala. Plus the departure from the Egyptian mythology to the Medieval King Arthur mytho. Then the new bad guys, the Ori, what an interesting change, but it did not feel like the Stargate I had come to love.

But they did it again, I was won over and again found myself wanting for more, in fact despite my attempts to apply a certain reserve I finished watching the whole season within a week. The quality has not only been sustained, but actually gradually improved throughout the season. The season ends off with again a spectacular cliff-hanger which really impressed me.

And then off course I did not have season 10 as yet, to see the conclusion to the seemingly devastating invasion at the end of season 9, I highly recommend for you to have the season 10 on hand to avoid screaming at the top of your voice like a 6 year old girl when the credits come up.

Thankfully we did see a Jack o' Neil cameo at the beginning of the season and I also happy to again see General Hammond, the late actor Don S. Davis in cameo appearance. It sort of created the impression that their lives continued on even outside the SGC. And it was good then to see Carter come back and the team felt more whole again. Plus Mitchell grows on you. He does bring that familiar Jack o' Neil humor, though not quite the same, still very good.

All in all, a good quality product.
on 17 January 2009
New beginning for the old favourite, 14 Aug 2007
By M. Shortland "mikeyboy214" (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews

The ninth season of SG-1 sees our guys heading down a bold new path. In a neat twist to real life, with the discovery of Atlantis, much of SG-1's budget has gone to the new expedition. (Unfortunately, this was also the case behind the cameras. Many of the episodes are earthbound, but when the effects are used, as in the season finale, all I can say is Wow.) Daniel, Sam and Teal'c have moved on to other projects, as has Jack, now succeeding Hammond at Washington. Command of the base has been given to General Landry, who receives Colonel Cam Mitchell("Mitch") as the new team leader of SG-1, at Jack's request. Cam's back story is that he was a pilot in the season 7 finale "Hidden City" during the battle with Anubis,and being decorated for valour, was promised any assignment, and chose this.
This season also introduces the new bad guys, the Ori, bent on domination using their Priors as missionaries. Although the season takes a while to kick in, due to the inevitable reset required to establish the new team, it's still an engaging romp, with Ben Browder as Mitchell capably stepping into Jack's shoes. Claudia Black also returns as Vala Mal Doran, and although the sparks are between her and Daniel, rather than Mitch, which would have neatly mirrored their previous roles on "Farscape", there's still some great one liners, excellent SFX and continuing plot lines. As mentioned above, the season finale is excellent, and sets up Season 10 neatly, which would prove to be the last, as we are now promised straight to DVD movies.
All in all, a very good reset for the long running franchise. The new themes are engaging and Browder and Black fit seamlessly into the family. Roll on Season 10 and the movies!
on 10 February 2010
Season 9 is the "let's soldier on until everyone stops watching" season, in between the "Still hanging on after RDA gets promoted" season 8 and "time to do it properly again" season 10. Some good stories, but generally they were just turning the handle and churning them out. Easily the weakest of all 10 seasons.

That said, it's still stargate, it's still entertaining, the production qualities are still excellent and it would have got 3 stars if it were not for the price! It's four years old and it's still one of the single most expensive seasons of anything ever! Totally unjustified. More than twice as expensive as Buffy, Star Trek and even Heroes seasons of similar length, more expensive than, well almost everything.

To maintain even vague parity with competitors this needs to halve in price, so until that day this gets 2 stars for being a rip-off.

* * * UPDATE * * *

Since I posted this review, Amazon have indeed nearly halved the price - well done Amazon! I've now bought my copy. I have modified my rating from 2 to 4 stars to reflect this.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
With the majority of the Goa'uld defeated during the previous season this ninth season sees the rise of a new threat to the galaxy in the form of the godlike Ori. This season also sees changes to the main cast with Richard Dean Anderson leaving the main cast and new faces in the shape of Ben Bowder, Claudia Black (both from the excellent Farscape) and Lexa Doig (from Andromeda) joining the show on a regular or semi-regular basis. This change in cast could have been quite terrible but thankfully Ben Bowder more than fills Anderson's shoes as Lt. Col. Mitchell, the new leader of SG-1, and all the other new additions to the cast also fit in very well.

The storyline of this season is good, with the defeat of the Goa'uld last season it was inevitable that a new galactic threat was going to be introduced and the Ori are an interesting addition to the Stargate universe, even if they are a rather thinly veiled critic of religious extremism.

There are many good episodes from this season and as a whole it has a many more good episodes than many of the previous seasons. The Ori plot arc is present to a greater or lesser degree in virtually all of the episodes and this gives the season a nice sense of continuity. My favourite episode from this season has to be the excellent `Babylon' which sees Mitchell captured by mysterious Jaffa isolationists and has a nice Last Samurai fell to it.

Despite it continuing for more than nine years by this point, this season of Stargate still feels fresh and I think that much of this has to do with the new cast that have been added this year. The writing and acting are all still above the average for a genre show and Stargate as a whole only gets better and better. I can only hope that the tenth and final series continues this trend.