5.0 out of 5 stars Top boozy last outing for the Fairports. Well, for a while..., 3 Mar 2007
Mr. C. J. Iredale "juxtapose" (London Town) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tipplers Tales (Audio CD)
This is an album from the Fairports' back catalogue often overlooked by some, which is a shame. It is, in actual fact, one of my faves. The production is un-fussy, the playing and the songs are great and there's lots of Dave Pegg (my fave bass player, and a very nice chap to boot. I know, I've met him many times) doing what he does so well. Minus 5 stars for the cover, which is awful. Perhaps they were being ironic. Who knows, all I know is this a great album, finally released by Vertigo ('bout time, chaps!), so while you are looking at the Fairport back catalogue and buying Leige and Leif and Unhalfbricking, take time to consider this, possibly the most Fairport-y of Fairport albums. Goes well with some beer and some mates!

4.0 out of 5 stars Peggy's Pub Songs, 12 July 2011
High Speed (Dorset England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tipplers Tales (Audio CD)
This is a digitally re-mastered CD version of a 1978 album. Not their best, but well worth having if you can pick it up for a few quid! Front cover artwork may be a bit naff but the accompanying booklet includes lyrics and a brief history of the band. Highlights for me include 'Ye Mariners All', 'Widow of Westmorland's Daughter' and 'John Barleycorn'. The line-up includes Messrs Nicol & Pegg, ably assisted by Dave Swarbrick and Bruce Rowland. If you want more, see you at Cropredy!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Fairport Four at their best., 23 May 2013
This review is from: Tipplers Tales (Audio CD)
My preference for FC's numerous line ups over their career seems to go in phases. Right now I'm obsessed with that mid seventies to eighties period . On this album Simon Nichol's vocals are at their peak, Swarbs as ever, also sings his heart out and his fiddle playing is divine. Peggy's fretless bass work is inspired and weaves intricate rhythms around Bruce Rowland's clever percussion.
The ten songs on this album all have very strong melodies that seem to imbed themselves in the brain and I find myself inadvertently humming or whistling the tunes in public- something best avoided as I'm possibly the worst singer in the world!

4.0 out of 5 stars Tipplers Revisited, 7 Aug 2013
This review is from: Tipplers Tales (Audio CD)
I bought this album after seeing Fairport live in the 1970s. I have long since worn out the Vinyl copy and decided to reacquaint myself. I was not disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Disc !, 4 Aug 2013
This review is from: Tipplers Tales (Jpn) (Audio CD)
I Like and I have another discs. Since Sandy Denny this Band is Great " Very quality ! Good Disc.

Tipplers Tales
Tipplers Tales by Fairport Convention (Audio CD - 2007)