4.0 out of 5 stars Good Product, Fun to Use
I bought these inks to use with a group of 8-12 year-old students. Tried them out with my 14-year-old and friend, who had a great time and produced some lovely results. The students also enjoyed making marbled papers and their results were very rewarding.

Published on 2 Oct. 2012 by E. Gillum

3.0 out of 5 stars Marbling photo
The photograph that illustrates the marbling inks is particularly misleading because it implies that they are metallic colours. Although it is not in the description, i suggest that Amazon changes the photograph to make a more accurate representation of the product. Which does not include gold or silver? Thanks.
Published on 9 Sept. 2010 by KarenG

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Product, Fun to Use, 2 Oct. 2012
E. Gillum "lizzieg" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Scola 6 x 25ml Marbling Inks (Toy)

You do not need any special medium for these inks - just a shallow tray/pan of plain water. The inks float well and don't mix together, so several sheets can be produced, before the water needs to be changed. You only need a drop of ink, here and there, which means they last well, even though the bottles appear to be small. We produced enough paper for a book project, but there is still plenty of ink left for another time.

The results were very attractive; it is not easy to make regular patterns, as the inks are not as viscous as the traditional marbling ink/paint and the base is only water. However, you can lay paper or items like feathers on the surface and get an impression of their shape, also make swirls and blobs, or smaller broken-up areas of ink. Fine for a first experience of marbling.

A good product, good value and fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for hours of fun!, 27 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Scola 6 x 25ml Marbling Inks (Toy)
I have used this kit today to marble paper and polystyrene balls with my (almost) 6 year old daughter. She loved putting the inks into the water, swirling them around and seeing the patterns develop. She picked up the technique of laying the paper in the water by bending the paper into a U shape so that air bubbles didn't form under it and her face when she took it out was priceless - utter delight in what she had just created! We also used 40mm polystyrene balls on skewers and they look like beautiful baubles for the Christmas tree or, as she suggested, planets. We will probably make so many that we could use them as a model for the planets in our solar system. The possibilities with this craft are endless and that is the reason I gave it 5 stars for educational value, because it is whatever you want to make it be; planets, decorative baubles, card fronts, wrapping paper, zebra skin to add texture to a drawing, etc etc. It really does get children thinking about possibilities with every new batch that you make as every marble is unique. It takes seconds to set up but takes up hours of fun!! The bottles look small when you take them out of the box but you use drops at a time so they really will last for umpteen projects. Very, very good value for money in my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Marbling is great!, 21 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Scola 6 x 25ml Marbling Inks (Toy)
I have just made the most amazing Christmas cards using this set and it was so quick and easy. My little boy loved it, when my boyfriend came in and asked what we were doing, he got hooked as well, it really is very simple and very rewarding!

5.0 out of 5 stars Marbling Inks, 26 Nov. 2010
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Scola 6 x 25ml Marbling Inks (Toy)
Bought these to marble end papers for hand made books. The bottles come well packed but with limited instructions. The colours need to be well broken up otherwise they go on quite thick in places and then rub off on your hands when dry and smudge on the paper. Had to have a few goes before I got the right amount of paint. I found that the best way of spreading the paint was with an Afro hair comb but any comb with wide spaced teeth will do.

When doing the actual printing the paper needs to be laid on the paint fairly quickly so that the whole sheet is in contact with the paint. This means laying it on the surface of the water starting from the centre out, otherwise air can get trapped underneath the paper resulting in patches with no paint pattern on them - just white areas. Once printed the paper need to be laid flat to dry on sheets of newspaper or similar. Hanging them up to dry can result in the colours running which spoils the marbling effect so you need to have your drying area set up before you start each sheet.

Did not find it possible to get more than one strong print of any paint mix. I had to do a separate mix for each page but this was not a problem. Colours quite strong on a first print. You can get a second one which is good but it is much paler so I found myself doing pairs - 1 dark and 1 light for each spreading of colours. You can then pair the darks and lights as required.

Can't say how durable the paints are. They may fade quite quickly or may be fade resistant. Only time will tell. For my purposes it doesn't matter as they'll not get a lot of exposure to light.

Good product but I would have saved a lot of time with a few more hints in the instructions.

3.0 out of 5 stars Marbling photo, 9 Sept. 2010

5.0 out of 5 stars At last I can marble paper!, 8 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Scola 6 x 25ml Marbling Inks (Toy)
I have often tried to marble paper with results varying from mediocre to terrible. At last I have found a way I can quickly and reliably produce marbled papers for bookbinding. At my first attempt I made 8 A4 sheets of decorative paper; 6 of which will be used as end papers in small sketch books. With practice I anticipate being able to produce larger papers.

I doubt if it will be possible to replicate the regular patterns found in a lot of European marbled papers, but getting results that emulate some Oriental papers is not just possible, it is easy.

I have not yet tried to paste any of the papers I made, but if there are any issues I will report them.

5.0 out of 5 stars always real review, 9 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Scola 6 x 25ml Marbling Inks (Toy)
I home school all 3 of my under six year old and wanted them to experience all the art I enjoyed at school and after some looking around I found these marvelous inks. Easy to use colour builds up over time drys quickly. Bottoms are perfect as you can't pour ink only drip so no accidents I my 2 4 5 had amazing fun for hours and nearly used any ink so will last ages... highly recommend. I've already added another batch to my basket so I won't run out

4.0 out of 5 stars yes it really doesnt stain!, 6 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Scola 6 x 25ml Marbling Inks (Toy)
I got these inks as an xmas present. easy and fun to use......... eventually!. end result of these inks is a lovley effect and strong colours. i used cartridge and super smooth paper, both worked but cartridge was better. HOWEVER when i took inks out of the box the nozzles were blocked. WARNING, DOUBLE CHECK nozzles are not blocked. use a piece of wire to unblock nozzle first or end result, if you squeeze to hard; will result in the nozzle popping off the bottle and ink exploding EVERYWHERE!!! but i can say without a doubt that it didnt stain anything; counters, fridge, toaster, washing machine, floor, me! i would recomend using the inks somewhere that is easy to clean up and have washing up liquid and kitchen roll on hand; just in case! dispite the teething problems i had fun with it and would recomend giving it a try. parents beware; make sure the nozzles are unblocked before letting your kids play with it!

3.0 out of 5 stars Bit disappointing, 20 Oct. 2013
Andrea (Somerset UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Scola 6 x 25ml Marbling Inks (Toy)
Used these with the kids. Disappointed with the results. Struggled to get the green ink out of the bottle. Ended up having to cut the top off the bottle which sent ink flying!!!!! Would recommend probably buying slightly more expensive/better quality inks next time.

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value and good fun, 24 Oct. 2010
David Hutchins (Sevenoaks, Kent. UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Scola 6 x 25ml Marbling Inks (Toy)
I bought this set of inks in order to use them with a small group of adults in a painting class. We used the marbled effects as starting point for a landscape painting, and to enhance a partly completed painting. The colours are fairly strong and you get a decent amount of each. My only criticism is that some of the lighter colours can be a little disappointing when making several repeat prints without changing the water in the tray; the darker colours presented no problems. Marbling is great fun and exciting for all ages and this set is excellent value.

Scola 6 x 25ml Marbling Inks