4.0 out of 5 stars Casio Waveceptor WV-58U-1AVEF
Casio Waveceptor WV-58U-1AVEF

Published on 19 Sep 2007 by Alex M

1.0 out of 5 stars A watch with a mind of its own...
Published on 30 May 2012 by J. R. Dersley

4.0 out of 5 stars Casio Waveceptor WV-58U-1AVEF, 19 Sep 2007
This review is from: Casio WV-58U-1AVEF Wave Ceptor Mens Resin strap Digital Watch (Watch)
Casio Waveceptor WV-58U-1AVEF

This is another area where casio have come up trumps. A watch you only have to set once (unless you change the battery) and from there it does it all by itself by picking up the time from a radio frequency emitted form the atomic clock in rugby. I've noticed that the clocks on most Railway stations are very much in line with the time set by the waveceptor feature so that's helpful to me. If you go abroad, just tell it where you are and it will pick up the frequency for that timezone (most of Europe covered) and hey presto, sets itself to the correct time. It makes you realise how much time some other watches lose over a period of time. I have this on a metal strap and it was pretty simple to adjust if you use the right tools or around 10 from most jewellery shops. Pop out the pins, remove links and reinsert pins. The watch itself is made from plastic and painted silver so if you scratch it, it will notice. All the usual functions, stopwatch, alarm and waterproof to 50m. Comfortable to wear although the metal strap has a habit of waxing your wrist every now and again. I'd rate it as 4/5 considering the price and as it's a casio it's about as reliable as digital any watch you could get.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bargain, 23 July 2008
For 19 you can't go wrong with this. The light is powerful with a bright blue glow, the strap is comfortable, the watch is light, easy to read, waterproof, alarm, and has wave ceptor technology so totally accurate as long as you get the signal. It's not a rolex, but as a cheap digital watch for holidays or playing sports, you can't really do any better than this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Atomic time lord!, 28 Dec 2008
Slasher (Bristol, England) - See all my reviews
I've had this watch for a while now and it is great. Looks great, works great and is accurate to the very second.

5.0 out of 5 stars Casio Wave Ceptor, 29 Aug 2009
P. Severn - See all my reviews
Purchased a month ago as a cheap day to day watch, I can thoroughly recommend this product. For the price, it is a good quality, well designed, incredibly accurate watch. Set up was simple and the large time display very welcome. Delivery of the item was also quick. Extremely good value.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply INCREDIBLE value !, 4 Sep 2009
After having a few Casio watches over many years, I looked forward to this one.
The price is unbelievable, the watch has performed great and the accuracy is well ..... SPOT ON !
Has all the functions you could want for a 'basic' Wave Ceptor and it looks really nice as well with the chrome effect bezel.
I have had no trouble whatsoever with picking up the signal either and the watch basically sets itself right out of the box. What could be easier.
Highly recommended watch and for the money, UTTERLY recommended !

5.0 out of 5 stars A great watch, 18 Nov 2013
For the money I think that this is a really good watch. The time is easy enough to see without my reading glasses on (the main reason I bought it over a solar powered, wave ceptor G-Shock) and the date can be changed to UK format. It seems to synch to the time signals ok although I haven't really checked it properly, but even if it only did this once a month it'd be accurate enough for me. It's light and comfortable and I think it looks good too. The only slight negative is that it could do with a second strap band as the excess strap past the buckle keeps snagging on clothes. This is the second one of these I've owned; I gave the first away after 3 years good service when the strap started to split (after the band split and fell off first). The first one did scratch quite easily but it's possible that Casio have flattened and lowered the 'glass' since then but I'm not certain of this.

5.0 out of 5 stars I like this watch., 5 Sep 2013
Mr. J. Reed "jonar2000" (Yorks) - See all my reviews
I read all the reviews on this watch before purchase. I have had Casio digital watches for around 20 years and wanted a radio controlled model. Some reviews had very negative comments which I disagree with as follows:-
The strap is fine and comfortable and has loads of adjustment for wrist size. My experience tells me that the strap will snap well before the battery runs out but you could replace (around 13) or maybe buy a new watch - your choice. You can buy the metal strap version but I don't like metal straps.
You can adjust the time manually but why would you want to? A press of the D button forces a signal seek and 10 minutes or so later it resets. So far the signal indicator shows full strength all the time. I think that for the price this is a good looking functional watch that gives the correct time - what more do you need?

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value watch, 30 Aug 2013
This was the third Wave Ceptor watch I have bought. It is very accurate with its daily connection to a radio time signal changing the time automatically for BST and keeping it accurate to the millisecond. This, of course can be annoying to others when you insist you have the "correct" time. There are lot's of useful functions including stop watch, easy to use alarm clock and an ability to switch easily to different time zones. The down side is that it is such good value that replacement straps or batteries, which I find last 2 and three years respectively, seem disproportionately expensive. The temptation is to buy a new watch rather than replace these. An excellent buy for anyone who wants accurate time, good functionality, doesn't take particular care of their watch and is not concerned with wearing a fashion accessory.

1.0 out of 5 stars A watch with a mind of its own..., 30 May 2012
J. R. Dersley - See all my reviews
This watch has been praised by most reviewers for its feature of setting the time etc by radio wave. Mine was OK for a while, then it started re-setting itself to some other timezone, and although I reset it manually it defaulted with increasing frequency to another time zone. This morning at 09.00 it told me it was 04.19 in 2005, having been keeping perfect time for 2 weeks! I'm sick of it and have replaced it. I most certainly would NOT buy this watch after my experiences.

5.0 out of 5 stars Third One in a row and can't fault it, 17 Oct 2013
S. A. Holton (Windsor UK) - See all my reviews
This is the third identical one of these watches I have bought, each last 4 or 5 years and I have never found anything to touch it for the price. This time the strap had gone, and at 10 for a strap and 20 for a watch, I replaced the watch (since it had got scratched). After growing up in a house where no clock was ever right, or agreed with another, knowing what the time actually is rather than what it might be is important to me. Also travelling on trains, which now leave on time to the second quite often, it is also vital to be precise. I travel abroad a lot and when I arrive I simply switch to the relevant time zone and leave it there until I arrive back home when I switch it back again. If you want a watch to tell the time, rather than as a piece of jewellery, why spend more? Stop watch, alarm and timer are also useful, I can even read the time (but not the date etc.) without glasses on it is clear enough.