5.0 out of 5 stars Powerball Newb and I love it!
I am completely new to the who Powerball scene and I don't play any of the sports listed or any musical instruments.

Purely by chance I stumbled upon this item on Amazon as it was getting 4-5 stars, so after reading a few of the reviews and finding out what all the fuss was about I was intrigued and I had to give it a try.

At this stage I must point...
Published on 7 Jan. 2008 by Mr. R. Betts

3.0 out of 5 stars You need patience to work the ball
It took a long time to learn to use the ball. I read the instruction, saw the video but still failed to get the ball going. The friend who recommended the ball to me got it going first and then passed the ball to me. On the third attempt I got it going. Just like riding a bicycle once you get the hang of it you don't forget. it's difficult to tell whether the pain on my...
Published 19 months ago by T K H LOH

‹ Previous | 1 2 340 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Saved my career, 23 Jun. 2009
This review is from: Powerball Signature Series Powerball - Transparent (Sports)
I bought this last year when suffering from RSI/tendonitis in my left arm; I am a viola player in a professional orchestra and for 6 months prior to using a powerball my forearm in particular constantly ached and felt tired. It throbbed from the moment I woke up to going to sleep.

I tried sports massage, stretches and ibuprofen cooling gel, all of which helped a little but never sorted the problem. Then I saw the powerball on Amazon and thought I'd give it a shot; it seemed relatively inexpensive for the testimonials it was getting.

I noticed a difference the day after I started using it. When I woke up my arm felt fine, and within just a few days all symptoms which had been there for months disappeared. After over a year I still use it regularly and have had no problems since. I swear by it.

This model is great, I love the lights. My advice is not to buy the Screamer model unless you want to annoy all those around you. This isn't silent but the screamer will aggravate your tinnitus once you get it going!

5.0 out of 5 stars An ingenious and addictive piece of exercise equipment!!, 22 Dec. 2008
E. C. Carnochan "Mr C." (Dumfries) - See all my reviews
This product is fantastic. Period.

I particularly love the review below giving it 1*. If you need to spend more than 30 seconds to get it to spin fast and smooth you've got the worst co-ordination in the world. Beginners need to spin the gyro inside with the string provided - which will NOT break if you do it right, you don't need to even spin it hard but it's easier than using your finger. Then all you need to do is twist your wrist slowly in a 6" circle. That's all you need to do to get it spinning. Then match the revolutions of the gyro with a smooth wrist movement and you're away!! Start slow and practice fast, small circle movements to build up the resistance. This Powerball is fantastic, the faster you go the harder it is to spin - I thought it wasn't doing much until I stopped and then had trouble lifting a cup of tea!! It's great for muscle building, injury physiotherapy and dexterity and grip - you won't be dissapointed!!

Please note - this basic model does NOT come with the LCD monitor which measures your speed, RPM etc. You might not think you'd want it but after you get it spinning all you'll want to know is how fast it's going!!! Go for the slightly more expensive Neon or Pro model which includes the LCD counter.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really effective and not too rough on your wrists and hands like other methods., 19 Aug. 2013
I've only had this for a few hours and already find it to be excellent at what it's intended for. After years of playing guitar with very light strings one of my forearms was bigger than the other (masturbation jokes ahoy!) and trying to use weights and also things like chairs and books to train my weaker wrist, I found those methods to be too hard on the joints, ligaments and muscles. This is quite a workout and it does it fast and without any kind of strain or pain like the other methods I've tried.

Hopefully this will stop people wrongly assuming I am a chronic masturbator instead of just a guy who plays a lot of guitar with very light strings!

The only downside I can think of is that it is a bit louder than I expected but when you are nearing 10k RPM with this baby it isn't surprising. Oh and now the people I share the house with probably think I'm masturbating as you tend to tense your whole body and jerk a bit when you go for the high speeds. You can't win them all, I suppose!

5.0 out of 5 stars Seems to have fixed my arm, 28 Aug. 2009
Tom (Portishead, UK) - See all my reviews
My habit of leaning on my right elbow in the "armshelf" pose while watching TV often gives me a numb little finger and a very painful what-I-think-might-be-a-tendon with lumpy bits. Thanks to the wonders of the interweb, I've self-diagnosed this as tendonitis and a trapped ulnar nerve. (Turns out, my doctor said I was just about right)

Anyway, I ordered the above Powerball, and after about a week of mild use, it's cleared up a lot. I can't be sure it's the Powerball, but my doc says there's a good chance it was and even if not, there's no reason not to give it a go anyway.

While I spent some of the first week trying to get above 12,500 rpm and to work out the starting trick with the thumb, the novelty wore off: as I expected it would. Now, I just use it at a low, constant, almost hypnotic rpm for longer periods while reading and watching TV. It's relaxing, and it probably goes some way towards loosening me up after a full day of coding.

4.0 out of 5 stars OK Product - Easy to use ...hmm just ok I guess!, 5 April 2009
J. Loyola "GreenHills" (London) - See all my reviews
Good little invention which is very easy to use. Great to use whilst watching TV or just entertaining your mates. Builds muscle almost instantly when done correctly. Trouble is a few press-ups and a few grip pulls will do the same thing or even a better job! Had mine a little over 6 months now and I've used it maybe only 10 times. Mainly stays in the box as it seems weird to carry out anywhere. For this product to work in your favour you've got to use it religiously and maybe make it a habit of doing a few reps a day. I bought this based on impulse and reading the reviews here as well as seeing the clips on youtube. If you're thinking of buying this, I'd advise you to go down to an upmarket toy store and maybe try it out before hand. I've seen them doing demos in Hamley's and Debenhams also. Try before you by.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Product, Very Recommended for everyone even if you don't work out., 20 Jan. 2010
Mr. S. V. Joyce "Samm Sam" (England) - See all my reviews
This product will seriously enhance your grip and is generallly great fun to use.

Gyro can be quite a scare when you first touch it and you burn yourself a little but it's perfectly fine.

I really do recommend this, it's really healthy for your hands and forearms and can be used whilst watching TV or genereally anything where your hands are free.

I have the 350 Hz Metal Powerball now as an "upgrade" and this upgrade is a MUST for those who workout and are interested in toning.

The Metal Powerball presents a much larger challenge.

I wouldn't recommend this powerball to people under the age of 16, like most bodybuilding/toning products, younger people won't benifit from this at all, will actually damage them more then anything. However, feel free to use the odd occasion.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent! - physio for wrist fracture, 22 April 2009
S. Adams (Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
My fractured wrist came out of its cast a few days ago and was super stiff - powerball is really helping to loosen it up! I was plastered up for 7 weeks and this is great for building strength up - and much more fun than my other physio exercises!! Also plan to keep using it into the future to improve my badminton game :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Banish Bingo Wings!, 1 Dec. 2008
Pyewacket "czarnowice" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This is why I bought the Power Ball to try and get some definition in my upper arms and it is working providing I stick with it and keep on doing 'rep's. For me as I am disabled and have slightly weak hands, I am glad it comes with a strap otherwise I can see it flying through the air straight into the tv or knocking someone out! My husband who suffers from tendonitis has also found it incredibly helpful in relieving the pain in his wrists.

One thing I have to add is...........when it arrived my husband was curled up with laughter watching my trying to start it, well, the last laugh was on him as I started it on the second attempt and he took at least 6 go's at it! Girl power! We still don't have the knack of starting the ball without the strings though but will perservere.

Word of caution........make sure you keep the starter strings safe otherwise little cats love to eat them.

A brilliant idea and I am so pleased I purchased it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best., 15 Dec. 2011
I am 42 and I had a nasty mountain biking accident 8 years ago resulting in a badly dislocated shoulder. I also play the guitar, and have actually had to buy a hollow bodied guitar to lessen the discomfort when I play standing up. I've tried weights and massage and several therapy methods including swimming and stretching. I also work in IT and spend 8 hours a day in front of a computer, and often found myself writhing in discomfort, constantly jigging my shoulder to relieve the cramps and pain, probably making it worse in the process. I found he powerball almost by accident, and was very skeptical, I mean how can such a thing really work? The truth is, once you get the hang of it, the gyroscopic motion of the powerball creates a pleasant resistance that you can control very easily. At low speeds, it's therapeutic and gentle on the wrist and forearm, but if you want you can get it really buzzing and when you stop the thing almost leaps out of your hand with the forces it generates. I managed to get it over 12k rpm tonight (with my good arm), and I can really feel a burn like a proper workout, but what I absolutely love is what it's done for my weak shoulder. I now feel that the whole shoulder joint is able to relax after my daily session of about half an hour, and the muscles are still with no spasms or pain all day at work. Just the mechanism itself, by which the thing works I find utterly fascinating. I think gyroscopic motion is one of the key methods by which future power generation will be accomplished and if this is the start of that then it has got off in the best of possible ways. This little machine, almost a toy in its simplicity, is the most remarkable, enjoyable, useful and effective object I have ever laid my hands on. Bar none. I assure you, if you buy it, out of interest, or as part of your workout equipment, or just as an objet for you coffee table (everyone who has seen it is fascinated with it), then you will never, and I mean never regret it. It's absolutely outstanding.

5.0 out of 5 stars NSD Powerball White Pro Signature, 23 July 2009
The only Powerball I used to know was a small, unbelievably hard, dark blue ball, a bit bigger than a golf ball that you smashed down onto the pavement...and disappeared into orbit. Only to come down again about ten seconds later 10m up the road and bouncing off again almost to the same height in a different direction...and so on.

I think they banned them in the end because of too many broken windows and kids racing about in the road, chasing those things.

This one is the complete opposite. Do not drop or kick or bat or throw it. It is an exercise aid in disguise and thing of strange beauty.

About the same size as a tennis ball, the hard plastic shell houses a gyroscopic device that, given a little practice, will begin to spin like a miniature, demented R2D2 inside, flashing and whirring the while. The rotational force builds up, and will help exercise your hands, wrists and arms, which all provide the energy input feeding its spin.

A remarkable idea and a clever mechanism inside. A bit like learning to ride a bicycle, the frustration of numerous false starts does begin to pall, but once the `art' is learned - that sudden `Got it!' moment - the sense of achievement in not only maintaining the initial spin, but getting the rotor to accelerate is - and remains - dangerously addictive!

So, how long to learn? I've had mine three days now, and I know it sounds like I've been paid commission by the manufacturers, but it has already genuinely helped my keyboard-ravaged fingers and wrists.

Don't bust your boilers trying to get it to go to the end of the scale early on, because you have to refine and control the spinning action, otherwise you'll go all over the place. However, this is one fun machine that gets a top score from me.

‹ Previous | 1 2 340 | Next ›