5.0 out of 5 stars Powerball Newb and I love it!
I am completely new to the who Powerball scene and I don't play any of the sports listed or any musical instruments.

Purely by chance I stumbled upon this item on Amazon as it was getting 4-5 stars, so after reading a few of the reviews and finding out what all the fuss was about I was intrigued and I had to give it a try.

At this stage I must point...
Published on 7 Jan. 2008 by Mr. R. Betts

1.0 out of 5 stars Not good for rehabilitation
Although I'm sure this has potential to be a great product, it give me false expectations. As I'm recovering from a broken wrist, it says on the packaging it's good for rehabilitation. You need two hands to even wind it on which was impossible due to lack of strength in one hand. Apart from trying, this has been put back in the box and not used since.
Published 5 months ago by Racheal

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerball Newb and I love it!, 7 Jan. 2008
This review is from: Powerball Signature Series Powerball - Transparent (Sports)

At this stage I must point out that like a lot of the male population I am a slave when it comes to impulse buying and gadgets and I've been the unfortunate owner of some poor gadgets and toys as well as some good ones.

The Powerball is defiantly one of my better buys. As I said at the start, I'm not a sporty person (Snooker and the odd game of football is about as far as I stretch) but I fancied a bit more exercise and increasing my arms strength. Don't get me wrong, this item isn't going to give you a CV workout, or get you breaking a sweat but the force it generates will certainly increase your arm muscles & strength and certainly took me by surprise how much power it does generate and I've only got it up for 8,000 RPM (just half of its potential!).

It takes a while to get used to starting it up and I've still not mastered doing it without the string, but after a couple of attempts you get used to the `rhythm' of it and now I have no trouble at all starting it up and keeping it going for as long as I want. Be patient at this point, it can get frustrating when you can't get the thing started!

The main thing that sells this to me, is I can't put it down, I know its cliché, but it really does make it a fun way to exercise your arms and its addictive. I can sit there watching the football on the TV and using this at the same time and it doesn't feel too strenuous.

The only tiny tiny thing I can grumble about is the noise it makes, it not horrendously loud, but its just enough to put me off bringing it to work with me, which is a shame because I'd be using it all day.

So, hopefully that gives you a good idea of what the fuss is all about from a newb perspective, read the reviews and if you think its something you want to give a try, go and get one!

5.0 out of 5 stars You'll Have a Ball With It, 28 Dec. 2010
There are two main reasons to get one of these. The first is if you want to strengthen your hand and arms. The second? To have fun!

First reason one. If you're looking for a way to strengthen your arm and hand, the powerball will definitely help you with this. Specifically, you have to hold on to it, so it works the gripping muscles of the hand. It also works the wrist muscles, because you have to rotate your wrist to keep the motion going. Lastly, your biceps will get a workout as well, because your biceps muscle helps turn your palm up (supination), which is one of the motions involved in keeping the gyro spinning.

I can't really see anyone with an acute wrist/elbow/arm injury using this device, as it would probably be just too vigorous a motion and flare things up. In other words, say you had really bad tennis elbow and could hardly grip things or move your wrist around much- I think the powerball would likely make it worse in the beginning. Maybe use it more later on as it got better as the powerball is definitely an advanced activity you could do to get fully back into shape. Exercises like those outlined in Treat Your Own Tennis Elbow would probably work better than to jump into something vigorous like a powerball. Mild cases might do alright though.

On the other hand, if you don't have an injury and are just looking to get the above muscles stronger and in better shape, then the powerball will certainly benefit you. Because it can spin progressively faster and faster as you get stronger, the powerball can provide you with a progressive resistance of sorts to get you stronger and stronger over time.

Now the second reason to get a powerball, for fun, really needs little explanation- it's just too much fun seeing how fast you can get this thing spinning! Perhaps the only non-fun thing about it is that it does take a little practice to get the hang of it, and when you're starting out and can't keep it spinning, well, that can get a little frustrating. However, it doesn't take long, and one thing that helped me in the beginning was to keep my elbow straight as I was practicing getting the technique down.

All-in-all a cool toy and useful tool- don't think twice and give it a try!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant innovation, 29 Dec. 2010
T. W. Turner (Teesside UK) - See all my reviews
Surprised & delighted, didn't quite know what to expect, had to try it 4 or 5 times then suddenly I found the rhythmic movement. The only improvement I think like to see is the safety strap I have attached it to a lanyard around my neck so as it can be changed from hand to hand without loosing momentum or fear of dropping.
Thanks to all concerned.
T. Turner

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't put it down!, 22 Sept. 2007
S. Singh "Pill Popper" (England) - See all my reviews
Very addictive and once you get the hang of it (in the first 5 minutes), you really can feel it working on your muscles. Brilliantly useable whatever you're doing. Love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Effective, enjoyable and worth every penny, 16 Jun. 2008
On the company's website, they clearly take pride in emphasising the Powerball's addictive nature, and rightly so. There's great satisfaction to be had within minutes of using the product, as you become more proficient in your technique, admiring the miniature lights festival created inside and all the while knowing that your strength is improving.

As the proud owner of a Signature Series for several days, I've alternated between every suggested motion, often giving it a vigorous whirl and at other times a mild paced spin. I'm pleased to say that my forearms are beginning to feel much more firm and my gripping power noticeably improved such that I'm tempted to keep clenching my fists in amazement. Both the fun factor and physical benefit make a wonderful incentive to use this product as part of a long term routine.

I've gotten my family hooked into healthy competition for the highest score boasted on the LCD display. All that remains is to show the Powerball to my cat (she has a thing for luminous objects).

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerball newcomer, 7 May 2008
D. Goodson (UK, Cheshire) - See all my reviews
I bought a Power Ball due to me suffering with acute pain in my elbow after sitting at a desk at work for long hours. It arrived three days earlier than the estimated delivery date, which is obviously a great credit to Amazon. The parcel arrived in a huge Amazon box that could have fit about 10 Power Balls in it!

However, that aside, I unpacked it and immediately wanted to test it out. After about 5 unsuccessful attempts to get the thing started, I finally managed to bring it to life. I was immediately hooked! You can instantly feel the power that is generated and it isn't long before your muscles feel like they are working hard. I know I said I bought it for rehabilitation but I've got a competitive side and wanted to know how fast I could get it. After 15 minutes I managed speeds of over 6000 rpm, but later that evening I managed to get a top speed of 10,702 rpm, I thought my arm was about to explode!

So, although I cannot yet comment on the rehabilitation side of this product, I can say that it is an incredible piece of kit that will have you hooked from the moment you take it out of the box!

Buy one! You will NOT be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars White Pro Signature or Regular Neon?, 26 Dec. 2008
I bought the Neon White Pro Signature model Powerball for myself, and at the same time my brother bought the Neon Blue Pro. I chose the Signature Pro model as the price wasn't much more and it included a wrist strap and instructional DVD. However, the wrist strap just gets in the way and the DVD is pointless, especially considering you get an easy start guide anyway. On the other hand, the instruction manual that comes with the Neon Pro is easy to refer to and contains all the necessary information for getting started.

Other than that, both powerballs are identical and great pieces of equipment. I like the subtle colours of the Signature Pro, but the Neon Blue also looks great when it's in use. If the colour isn't important, I'd say get the Neon Pro, or get the Signature Pro and just leave the wrist strap and cheesy DVD in the box!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fantatic Way to Tone, 13 May 2011
I looked at buying a Power Ball for a while and I finally gave in a few weeks ago. I play Club Cricket and tennis so use a lot of wrist work and forearm movement in both sports.

Straight out of the box I had the impression that the product was of high quality despite being made of plastic and well weighted. Contained in the box is the Power Ball itself, 3-4 Starting Strings and an instructional DVD.

The DVD is OK but lacks information as to how best to use the product and to get it started. I found using the companies website had a lot of helpful information on how best to use the Power Ball and general usage advice: [...]

To get the Gyroscope started you first need to insert one of the plastic tipped strings into one of the small holes along the ball section and wrap it round the groove. Then turn on the LED display on top which has many different measuring functions for the different positions and techniques you can use. Then give the string a good tug while holding the ball in your hand and off you go! I bought the white Signature Edition which looks pretty snazzy once the internal dynamo gets the white LED lights on the inside of the ball going and find it a personal challenge now not to let the go out!

The first time I used it I was surprised how much effort could be put in and I felt my forearms muscles tense and strain almost immediately which was the area I was concentrating on building.

Other techniques can result in several muscles being used at one giving you a non strenuous work-out from the couch! I have been using this for around 5 weeks and already I find I have a much stronger grip and flexibility which has helped both my Batting and Bowling!

This is great to use when reading, watching TV or generally around the house it is so addictive! Overall a great way to get active with minimal effort! Well worth the money

4.0 out of 5 stars Signature Series (PRO) is NOT the same as the CLASSIC SERIES., 25 Jan. 2010
This Signature Gyro Ball is limited edition which already is something to look for. The product comes in a lovely box - containing a manual; 2 starter's string; a safety band and a CD which doesn't help much but its there for you.

I found this signature series gyro ball harder to grip and to exercise with, due to the extended monitor on top which feels completely differnt from the classic series. (Which i recommend you to buy before you purchase any other gyro balls)

I'm experienced with the Gyro ball, and thus i do the two finger trick to start the gyro ball up, it really takes alot of practice with the classic series before you can actually do this. The strings are for beginners and if you can't do it? Get the classic version, which is alot easier to start up.

I can currently go up to 10,000 r.p.m. (rotations per min.) and it really trains your endurance for any sports and later on you can really feel that push it gives you after days on the ball.

Personally i really like this product with various funcctions you can do by yourself or simply have a competition with you mates, and do play with this ball in the dark, the white neon light is simply awesome.

For those who doubts if the ball works - try the classic version and see for yourself and relatively cheaper.

Price-wise: Its a little bit over budget but i guess it worths it for a year or two, get the FREE shipping if you're really gonna buy it or you'll get stuck with an extra 10 pound fee for shipping, packaging and VAT in addition to the purchase price.

4.0 out of 5 stars hard to grasp at first but now addicted!, 7 Feb. 2012
found it difficult to get going at first, the instructions are rubbish and come on a cd, the same instructions are on the website so you can go there now and read up. You put a string into a hole and wind it up, then pull the string really fast to get it going, then you have to sync yourself with the spin, slow turns then build up once you're in the flow. Hard to explain, you'll know what I mean when you try it. I think people give up too soon thinking it's broken, but it's all in the wrist as they say.

when you're doing it right the lights keep going and you can feel the weight of it. After a while your arm starts to get tired. I'm still trying to work out how to score on it/what the numbers mean etc. It does get quite addictive working out your score and trying to keep it going longer.

I don't think there's much difference in the different powerballs you can get, you may as well just get the cheapest (check if there's a counter or not). I wish I got the blue one now but function is the same.

I wish there was somewhere to keep the string, I'm probably going to lose it but it did come with 2. I'm tying it to the hand strap at the moment. You need to keep the handstrap on as it's hard to hold on to when spinning fast but it's also annoying and gets in the way.