5.0 out of 5 stars Dimensions?
Celestron Astromaster 130EQ

Very surprised at the quality for the money. If you're into astronomy in a big way but can't afford an all-singing-all-dancing digital telescope, then this might appeal to you.
The eyepieces are of excellent quality and that really counts when viewing.
Let me break it down a bit.

Pluses:
* Terrific build...
Published on 30 Jan 2011 by Rick Blade

3.0 out of 5 stars New to Astronomy
Celestron Astromaster 130EQ

I purchased the Celestron Astromaster 130EQ as a starter telescope aimed at 'newbie' astronomers. For the price it is an impressive piece of kit. It comes well packaged and is easy to assemble using the picture guide that comes with it. If you get stuck there is a YouTube video to help you.

Of course you get what you pay...
Published on 3 Mar 2011 by Thinpig

4.0 out of 5 stars worthwhile telescope, 29 Sep 2011
This review is from: Celestron Astromaster 130EQ (Electronics)
A fine telescope for the beginner from a well known name. Getting the best out of a telescope needs practice so something fairly simple like this is a good starter scope. Some good views of the moon and planets to be had on clear nights.

5.0 out of 5 stars best buy on internet !!! the telescope and the buyer s.a.r.l. was EXCELLENT!!!, 6 Oct 2011
This review is from: Celestron Astromaster 130EQ (Electronics)
i'm new in astronomy. i'm student of astrophysics and this is my first telescope.
i expected not that much from an item like this... i live in Athens Greece were lights are fully extra large and i achieve 260X magnification on moon and Jupiter! i also have view of orion nebula and andomeda galaxy. i highly recommended you buy uhc nebula filter and variable polarizing filter... the view with this filters is absolutely amazing! the tripod is steady but with a little air on it is going to flicker. the price was amazing. i didn't believe it until i saw my astromaster 130 in my home. the shipping was excellent.. the packaging was in excellent condition! and it came earlier than the estimated arrival date. simply.... THE BEST BUY I HAVE EVER HAD!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars ... present for my son's birthday - he was very pleased with it and assembly not a problem, 7 Aug 2014
This review is from: Celestron Astromaster 130EQ (Electronics)
Bought as a present for my son's birthday - he was very pleased with it and assembly not a problem. Fast, efficient delivery.

3.0 out of 5 stars pretty cheapo rubbish., 13 Aug 2014
stedun (Cumbernauld, Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Celestron Astromaster 130EQ (Electronics)
not recommended. hard to setup. too much hassle! parts wouldnt work which meant none of the scope would work. i sold mine.

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 13 Aug 2014
This review is from: Celestron Astromaster 130EQ (Electronics)
You get a wide angle with the large mirror. But it wasn't as powerful as it looks.

5.0 out of 5 stars favorite present (obviosly), 21 April 2012
S. Wells (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Celestron Astromaster 130EQ (Electronics)
My son writes: I got this telescope for my birthday and it was definitely my best present. although I haven't had it very long and we haven't had many clear nights I've still had lots of fun.
It can see very deep into space with its 33x and 66x eye pieces.
I would definitely recommend it for any fan of astronomy.

4.0 out of 5 stars tricky to assemble - can't see the flag on the moon, 17 Feb 2012
S. Mark Gee - See all my reviews
This review is from: Celestron Astromaster 130EQ (Electronics)
i had very high hopes for this but xmas had lots of cloudy nights.

we've only used once and i was amazed that, as i finally managed to find the moon, a plane flew right over it. that must be quite unusual.

don't get your hopes too high, otherwise like me you will be disappointed with the magnification. the moon is still a LONG way away!!

it is a well made unit

it is a bit time consuming and fiddly to assemble...takes about an hour.

some of the knobs are a bit flimsy and feel like they might break...but others are very sturdy.

hopefully we will et out of london and go and try and see the milky way or something...not many opportunities so far

i am happy i bought this one i think. seemed to be the best buy out there. if i'd got a cheaper one there would have always been a what=-if feeling. and i imagine there is a lot fo scope for making MUCH MORE INFERIOR telescopes than this one. £120/£130 not bad...seen one in a shop nearby for £200!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great. Will buy from here again, 29 July 2014
This review is from: Celestron Astromaster 130EQ (Electronics)
Great. Will buy from here again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Celestron astromaster 130EQ, 26 Oct 2013
B. Evans (Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
NB
After my initial review below, I thought after my experience, I'd amend my review - Having used the scope for a couple of hours, one of the slow motion axles (not the cable itself) came out of the mount and was impossible to put back in. I returned it to Amazon without any quibble and a replacement was sent the next day. However, I used the replacement for only 1 hour and the latitude adjustment screw broke and became stuck in the mount! Bad luck on my part or bad scope? I'm not sure, but again Amazon have been faultless with their returns and customer services, however I won't be acquiring another Celestron instead I've opted for a Skywatcher 130p as recommended by Sir Patrick Moore!

I've read what seems like hundreds of reviews for different scopes until my head ached! In the end and as I'm only just starting out, I decided on the Celestron 130EQ after reading (and rereading) the reviews on Amazon and other astronomy sites.

It came well packaged with next day delivery and with much excitement, I opened the box. The quick start guide was my first read and when all the parts were laid out, I started. It was fairly easy to put together with the diagrams, but I searched on You Tube and found Celestron's video which was a lot clearer and instructive and anyone buying one of these scopes and not having much experience, I would advise you do the same, especially when it comes to balancing the scope as I didn't quite understand what was required.

Being new to astronomy, I tried to figure out from the manual what Polar Aligning was all about; for me being a newbie, it wasn't clear how to do this, but again, good old You Tube helped out so now my scope is at the correct latitude and set to go. All I need now are clear skies which, since I bought this on Thursday 24 October, have been absent from where I live and seem set to remain so for a while!!! I cannot yet comment on the Star Finder for the same reason. I NOW CAN AND ITS RUBBISH! I purchased a Telrad and it took all the frustration away!

For me as a female at only 1.5 metre in height, it isn't very portable as the counter weights attached to the mount are very heavy and when the scope is on the mount, it is quite cumbersome to move, but this scope was never meant to be portable. The scope itself, however, is surprisingly light. The slow motion cables seem quite flimsy, but are sturdy enough as I accidentally bent one with the scope as I'd put it on the wrong way round! (Again, thank You Tube!) I haven't had much experience of tripods, but the one supplied, while seeming quite light, is sturdy enough and does the job.

I've had a terrestrial look through the scope using the 20mm lens supplied and it does seem good; I was surprised how far I could actually see!

NB

After this review and having used the scope for a couple of hours, one of the slow motion cable axles came out of the mount and I couldn't get it back in. I returned it to Amazon without any quibble and was sent a replacement the very next day. However, I've used the replacement twice totalling 1 hour and the latitude adjustment screw broke so I couldn't alter the latitude. Again, Amazon have been helpful and their customer services were first class, but I'm afraid I won't be getting another Celestron, I've opted instead for a Skywatcher Explorer 130p as recommended by Sir Patrick Moore!

2.0 out of 5 stars Telescope is good for the price, Mount and Tripod are rubbish, 17 May 2013
This review is from: Celestron Astromaster 130EQ (Electronics)
I found the telescope to be a good product, is well manufactured and if used with the correct eye pieces (invest in a decent set of eyepieces as the ones supplied are useless) and correctly collimated gives nice clear views. The scope is light but can be dificult to transport due to the target scope and protruding eyepiece fitting.
The target scope is absolutely useless at night and you really are better off not using it.

The real problems are with the EQ Mount and tripod. The Mount is solid (weighs a ton) but the adjustment is difficult. The Stainless steel levers can be very tight and even a heavy hand can struggle (i am an 18 stone former steel worker and its not easy), i may actually consider lubing them. The fine adjustment works ok but again the locking levers tend to not be able to hold tight enough so the scope often slowly drifts off target (no i am not mistaking rotation for this!).

The tripod is held together by the central shelf attached to the legs via brackets. Only problem is these brackets are a low quality plastic and are really not good enough. I have managed to break this already and i am having real problems trying to source one. Celestron have been about as useful as a chocolate fire guard and i am close to giving up. I have repeatedly asked them for spare part numbers so that i can order one but they dont seem to be able to provide me with one and dont seem to have any interest in talking to me. Really not good enough.

I also have a skywatcher 200p dobsonian and i am not going to go on about the far superior viewing capability here as its not a fair comparison given the mirror sizes but Skywatchers support is far superior not too mention the build quality.
In short i would strongly advise saving up that little bit more and getting the Skywatcher 200p over this or even one of their smaller reflector scopes.