5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Value for Money
My boyfriend and I have recently acquired a sudden fascination with the universe. He's always wanted a telescope and we started looking into getting one about a week ago.

Published on 5 May 2009 by Thea Schultheiss

3.0 out of 5 stars Good overall but serious doubts on Celestron quality
This is the first telescope i put my hands on and it is a present for my son. As a novice obviously i know very little and i cannot compare with other entry level reflector telescopes.

Overall building quality:
Published on 30 July 2012 by x70

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Value for Money, 5 May 2009
This review is from: Celestron 31042 Astromaster 114EQ Reflector Telescope (Electronics)

All of the Celestron telescopes looked really appealing, especially the Astromaster range for their affordability. We were toying between the 130EQ and the 114EQ, eventually we choose the later for the difference in price weighed up against the specification.

We are so glad we bought this scope... the second night we had it, when the skies were clear, our first mission was to see the moon, and boy did we see it! The craters were so crisp, it blew my mind. Though we will certainly be investing in a moon filter, as the moon can be very bright, it will soon hurt your eyes.

We knew Saturn was visible that night, but being complete newbies we didn't really know where it was, so we decided to try and point the scope at the brightest star near to the moon, turned out it wasn't a star, but Saturn!!

You could clearly make out the rings, although small - don't be fooled, this is a "budget" scope, you are not going to see Saturn at the same size of the moon, but we found it to be very crisp with the Astromaster 114EQ. To think that we were looking at something over 750 million miles away is just astonishing!

Our scope was perfectly collimated out of the box, though we gather this is not always the case, however there are instructions on how to test whether your scope is set up correctly in the manual.

We feel that for the amazing sights we have already seen in just one night, the scope has already paid for itself. The manufacturing quality is very good, the tripod and equitorial mount alone seem like pieces of kit that could easily sell for over £100 on their own.

A great scope for anyone thinking about delving into astronomy. I have yet to try any astrophotography with it, but there are attachments available to enbable you to attach your SLR directly to the eyepiece, I can't wait!

5.0 out of 5 stars Oozes quality, 24 April 2011
You're probably reading this having never bought a telescope before, wanting to know exactly what you're going to get and SEE for your money. As far as the telescope is concerned it's more of an investment than a purchase. It's a real quality piece of kit which I've surprised many people by telling them it only cost ~£100. Once set up it looks quite impressive and I'm sure with proper care it will continue to give you gazing pleasure for many years to come. One of the advantages of a reflector scope such as this is that the optical tube is open allowing you to maintain the mirror surfaces and also collimate the optics for optimised performance. Allow a good hour for proper initial set up (which for me was part of the fun!). It's got a fair weight to it but not to the extent it makes it impractical to move, the tripod can be easily dismounted and collapsed to be put in the boot of a car, for example.

The first week I had the scope I was desperate for a clear night until eventually I got my wish and managed to view Saturn from the comfort of my back garden. Despite moderate light pollution and a slight haze in the sky, the scope still produced a crisp, colour image, complete with rings. Admittedly it was small in the viewfinder but you always have the option to purchase additional barlow lenses for increased magnification. It's also amazing just to aim at a seemingly clear patch of sky to reveal a dense patchwork of stars not visible to the naked eye. For optimal viewing its mainly about the conditions, the scope claims to be capable of imaging "deep sky objects" which I believe is possible but you need to be in a seriously dark area, which I shall soon be experimenting with during a drive to the countryside! I'm currently waiting in great anticipation for the next lunar transit to use my newly acquired moon filter.

If you're thinking of getting into astronomy and debating whether to push the boat out I would say it's DEFINITELY worth going the extra buck. As a complete astro-virgin, I was able to set the scope up and view a planet over 700 million miles away in the space of a few days. One thing I will say is you need a great deal of patience, aligning the viewfinder is extremely sensitive and takes practice (which again is part of the satisfaction). The scope comes with a software CD allowing you to view when and where objects will be on any given night. The 114 also performs exceptionally well during daytime, using the terrestrial scope I've counted the feathers on many a pigeon from hundreds of meters away, so any budding Ornithologists will also find this function useful.

All in all, a great value scope which will delight many an amateur stargazer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value telescope - worth persevering with, 22 Jan. 2011
I've had this telescope a few days and at first I was afraid it was too difficult to move or focus. But it's worth persevering. You need to make sure the finderscope is aligned properly - read the instructions on how to do this. Once this is aligned it really helps you line up the telescope with the moon/stars.

I was really impressed how well the different pieces of the telescope were packed. All very secure. The tripod provided is rather lightweight and cheap-looking, but it does the job. Make sure the legs are set at the desired height before you put the (very heavy) telescope mount with counterweight on top.

The telescope tube and mount etc are all very good quality pieces and fit together quite simply. Again, just follow the instructions. It took me about an hour to set up from opening the box.

I was worried about using a reflector telescope but it works quite simply. You need to take the whole lens cap off (not just the central bit!) then the light enters the tube and reflects off the main mirror into the eyepiece. It comes with 2 eye pieces and a 3 x Barlow lens which multiplies the magnification of the lenses provided. The 20 mm lens is easiest to use. The 4 mm lens has a much higher magnification but the aperture is tiny and takes some getting used to. You just need practise to get your eye accustomed to both lenses.

I have managed to view the moon so far (need a moon filter as the full moon is rather bright) and also focus on some terrestrial objects in daytime. There are various knobs and levers that move the telescope - I still need to practise with these but am getting the hang of it.

Certainly a powerful telescope with much greater magnification than my 10x Binoculars. According to the booklet, with the Barlow lens, the telescope is capable of 135x magnification with the 20mm lens and 675x with the 4mm lens. Amazing! Now all I want is a clear night so I can find a planet to look at!

Oh, and it's got a 10 year guarantee as well. Very good value.

4.0 out of 5 stars Celestron Astromaster Newtonian telescope 114EQ, 30 May 2010
C. Richards "JMR" (March, Cambridgeshire) - See all my reviews
I have been using the Celestron Astromaster Newtonian Telescope 114EQ, and have found this to be very useful piece of equipment. Once you have set the telescope up correctly, it is very easy to follow the constellations and seeing the Moon with the 10mm eye piece is astounding! Well built and easy to use! I look forward to purchasing accessories to increase the enjoyment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very impressed, 24 May 2010
Malcolm Mccleery (UK) - See all my reviews
I think this is a brilliant telescope.
We've looked at the moon, Saturn and various 'deep sky' objects.
Sure the red dot star finder is hopeless but I replaced it with a little finder scope.
Very very good value for money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Choice, 10 Jan. 2011
This telescope was purchased for our grandson. His father found this very straightforward to assemble and calibrate. The whole family, me included, have been wowed by the views of the Moon and Jupiter. Not quite 5 stars for me as the telescope moves a little too easily in its mounting, the slightest knock moves the scope off target. Overall a great purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars brilliant! great bit of kit of beginners!, 14 Jan. 2011
i bought this for my GF this Xmas and what a brilliant bit of kit! just used it tonight (first clear night) and got crystal clear view of the moon and it craters! not to mention the stars surrounding to moon that u cant see with the naked eye! was gobsmacked!!

only annoyances i have is that it does take a while to align the scope and to focus it on the small stars! the fixed star pointer is atm abit useless! completely out of focus with the main scope! hence why the moon is a obvious choice of alignment and to see what the lens can do! also the micro alignment rods seem pointless but you HAVE to use them once lined us, as any slight manual alterations by hand and you've got another 5 mins trying to align again and trust me its VERY frustrating! but once you take your time to get use to all of that it really is a quality telescope for anyone wanting to start astronomy!

id recommend getting some more optics aswell as the 2 that come with it are good but for looking at planets such as jupiter i dont think they'll do the job! also and planisphere aswell unless you know where to look! (which i dont)

3.0 out of 5 stars Good overall but serious doubts on Celestron quality, 30 July 2012

Overall building quality:
Poor. This telescope came with two defective parts. The viewfinder was not working (it is battery operated) and one of counterweight did not fit on the counterweight bar. As a total beginner, if you want to watch anything other than the moon a viewfinder and lot of patience are pretty essential. Needless to say this was a big blow. The counterweight is less critical but still you need two of them for a proper balance between telescope and the equatorial mount.
Fortunately the support from Customer Service (Hama UK) was outstanding and i have received the replacements soon after contacting them (next day delivery with courier).

Viewing (quality of mirrors, eyepieces, etc.):
here i really cannot judge as i have no experience with other telescopes and i'm still studying how to collimate precisely the mirrors, which is very important for reflectors telescopes.

Packaging: very good

Instruction manual:
instructions for assembly the telescope on the mount a clear and supported by a number of pictures. However the user guide could be better. References to the different dials and screws are a big vague and it takes some time to understand how the whole mechanism work

Look:
it definitely looks nice, despite a few noticeably cheap plastic parts

In summary, thanks to a good customer support, i think i am satisfied with the product; i paid just above 100£ and it is a good introduction to astronomy with telescope. Still i do not understand how it is possible that Celestron quality control can fail so miserably and deliver two defective parts...

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 30 July 2010
As normal Amazon delivered my purchase within 2 days, which is great service. The Astromaster took about 30 minutes to put together with no real problems. I had to wait a further few days before trying it out because of the weather conditions. When I did at last try, I was lost for words. The Moon was the first, being the largest and easy to locate. I have looked at the Moon for many a year but having used the telescope I was sold. I am now waiting for another clear night to further my excitment. I would recommend this telescope to anyone thinking about starting to watch the night skies.

5.0 out of 5 stars IF YOU'RE UNSURE ABOUT BUYING, THIS'LL HELP!, 16 Oct. 2011
Fast delivery service and a brilliant product. The scope is rated at 269x max magnification, but I can confirm that with a small mm eyepiece, a good quality 5x barlow (about £50 worth) and good conditions it cracks 600x magnification plus! It takes time to focus in this magnification but it's worth the effort! I strongly recommend getting the Celestron eyepiece and filter set to complement it!