5.0 out of 5 stars Very impressed
I think this is a brilliant telescope.
We've looked at the moon, Saturn and various 'deep sky' objects.
Sure the red dot star finder is hopeless but I replaced it with a little finder scope.
Very very good value for money.
Published on 24 May 2010 by Malcolm Mccleery

3.0 out of 5 stars Good overall but serious doubts on Celestron quality
This is the first telescope i put my hands on and it is a present for my son. As a novice obviously i know very little and i cannot compare with other entry level reflector telescopes.

Overall building quality:
Poor. This telescope came with two defective parts. The viewfinder was not working (it is battery operated) and one of counterweight did not fit on...
Published 23 months ago by x70

5.0 out of 5 stars Very impressed, 24 May 2010
Malcolm Mccleery (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Celestron 31042 Astromaster 114EQ Reflector Telescope (Electronics)
I think this is a brilliant telescope.
We've looked at the moon, Saturn and various 'deep sky' objects.
Very very good value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Value for Money, 5 May 2009
My boyfriend and I have recently acquired a sudden fascination with the universe. He's always wanted a telescope and we started looking into getting one about a week ago.

All of the Celestron telescopes looked really appealing, especially the Astromaster range for their affordability. We were toying between the 130EQ and the 114EQ, eventually we choose the later for the difference in price weighed up against the specification.

We are so glad we bought this scope... the second night we had it, when the skies were clear, our first mission was to see the moon, and boy did we see it! The craters were so crisp, it blew my mind. Though we will certainly be investing in a moon filter, as the moon can be very bright, it will soon hurt your eyes.

We knew Saturn was visible that night, but being complete newbies we didn't really know where it was, so we decided to try and point the scope at the brightest star near to the moon, turned out it wasn't a star, but Saturn!!

You could clearly make out the rings, although small - don't be fooled, this is a "budget" scope, you are not going to see Saturn at the same size of the moon, but we found it to be very crisp with the Astromaster 114EQ. To think that we were looking at something over 750 million miles away is just astonishing!

Our scope was perfectly collimated out of the box, though we gather this is not always the case, however there are instructions on how to test whether your scope is set up correctly in the manual.

We feel that for the amazing sights we have already seen in just one night, the scope has already paid for itself. The manufacturing quality is very good, the tripod and equitorial mount alone seem like pieces of kit that could easily sell for over 100 on their own.

A great scope for anyone thinking about delving into astronomy. I have yet to try any astrophotography with it, but there are attachments available to enbable you to attach your SLR directly to the eyepiece, I can't wait!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value telescope - worth persevering with, 22 Jan 2011
SL on Amazon (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I've had this telescope a few days and at first I was afraid it was too difficult to move or focus. But it's worth persevering. You need to make sure the finderscope is aligned properly - read the instructions on how to do this. Once this is aligned it really helps you line up the telescope with the moon/stars.

I was really impressed how well the different pieces of the telescope were packed. All very secure. The tripod provided is rather lightweight and cheap-looking, but it does the job. Make sure the legs are set at the desired height before you put the (very heavy) telescope mount with counterweight on top.

The telescope tube and mount etc are all very good quality pieces and fit together quite simply. Again, just follow the instructions. It took me about an hour to set up from opening the box.

I was worried about using a reflector telescope but it works quite simply. You need to take the whole lens cap off (not just the central bit!) then the light enters the tube and reflects off the main mirror into the eyepiece. It comes with 2 eye pieces and a 3 x Barlow lens which multiplies the magnification of the lenses provided. The 20 mm lens is easiest to use. The 4 mm lens has a much higher magnification but the aperture is tiny and takes some getting used to. You just need practise to get your eye accustomed to both lenses.

I have managed to view the moon so far (need a moon filter as the full moon is rather bright) and also focus on some terrestrial objects in daytime. There are various knobs and levers that move the telescope - I still need to practise with these but am getting the hang of it.

Certainly a powerful telescope with much greater magnification than my 10x Binoculars. According to the booklet, with the Barlow lens, the telescope is capable of 135x magnification with the 20mm lens and 675x with the 4mm lens. Amazing! Now all I want is a clear night so I can find a planet to look at!

Oh, and it's got a 10 year guarantee as well. Very good value.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oozes quality, 24 April 2011
You're probably reading this having never bought a telescope before, wanting to know exactly what you're going to get and SEE for your money. As far as the telescope is concerned it's more of an investment than a purchase. It's a real quality piece of kit which I've surprised many people by telling them it only cost ~100. Once set up it looks quite impressive and I'm sure with proper care it will continue to give you gazing pleasure for many years to come. One of the advantages of a reflector scope such as this is that the optical tube is open allowing you to maintain the mirror surfaces and also collimate the optics for optimised performance. Allow a good hour for proper initial set up (which for me was part of the fun!). It's got a fair weight to it but not to the extent it makes it impractical to move, the tripod can be easily dismounted and collapsed to be put in the boot of a car, for example.

The first week I had the scope I was desperate for a clear night until eventually I got my wish and managed to view Saturn from the comfort of my back garden. Despite moderate light pollution and a slight haze in the sky, the scope still produced a crisp, colour image, complete with rings. Admittedly it was small in the viewfinder but you always have the option to purchase additional barlow lenses for increased magnification. It's also amazing just to aim at a seemingly clear patch of sky to reveal a dense patchwork of stars not visible to the naked eye. For optimal viewing its mainly about the conditions, the scope claims to be capable of imaging "deep sky objects" which I believe is possible but you need to be in a seriously dark area, which I shall soon be experimenting with during a drive to the countryside! I'm currently waiting in great anticipation for the next lunar transit to use my newly acquired moon filter.

If you're thinking of getting into astronomy and debating whether to push the boat out I would say it's DEFINITELY worth going the extra buck. As a complete astro-virgin, I was able to set the scope up and view a planet over 700 million miles away in the space of a few days. One thing I will say is you need a great deal of patience, aligning the viewfinder is extremely sensitive and takes practice (which again is part of the satisfaction). The scope comes with a software CD allowing you to view when and where objects will be on any given night. The 114 also performs exceptionally well during daytime, using the terrestrial scope I've counted the feathers on many a pigeon from hundreds of meters away, so any budding Ornithologists will also find this function useful.

All in all, a great value scope which will delight many an amateur stargazer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 30 July 2010
As normal Amazon delivered my purchase within 2 days, which is great service. The Astromaster took about 30 minutes to put together with no real problems. I had to wait a further few days before trying it out because of the weather conditions. When I did at last try, I was lost for words. The Moon was the first, being the largest and easy to locate. I have looked at the Moon for many a year but having used the telescope I was sold. I am now waiting for another clear night to further my excitment. I would recommend this telescope to anyone thinking about starting to watch the night skies.

5.0 out of 5 stars a great first time telescope, 10 Jan 2011
I bought this as a birthday present for the friend who has everything.
It arrived in excellent time, well packaged, in a large robust box (think about this if you are transporting or wrapping it! The scope was very easy to set up and though I helped, my friend was far too excited to read the instructions. He now needs to as last night was the first clear night and he was frustrated that the image of the moon was upside down. I am sure the DVD included in the pack will reveal all he needs to know.
A very robust design, stable, not too heavy to move around and easy to assemble and use. The image is clear and it in my opinion this product was worth every penny. It is a great first time telescope.

4.0 out of 5 stars Celestron Astromaster Newtonian telescope 114EQ, 30 May 2010
C. Richards "JMR" (March, Cambridgeshire) - See all my reviews
I have been using the Celestron Astromaster Newtonian Telescope 114EQ, and have found this to be very useful piece of equipment. Once you have set the telescope up correctly, it is very easy to follow the constellations and seeing the Moon with the 10mm eye piece is astounding! Well built and easy to use! I look forward to purchasing accessories to increase the enjoyment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Celestron 114EQ telescope. Great buy!, 14 Sep 2011
S. Hammond "Hammo UK" (United Kindom) - See all my reviews
Celestron Astromaster 114EQI am new at the star gazing game , so I decided to buy this scope as the reviews looked good. Very good quality for the price. don't know how they do it. The comments about the star finder are correct. The one that is screwed onto the scope it very difficult to use, and i could not line it up to any stars no matter how hard i tried. So i bought myself a star-finder scope for a few quid on amazon and stuck in onto the telescope body with some sticky pads and it works a treat. Another tip is to buy a couple of more eyepieces that are a better quality than those supplied. You get two eye pieces with this kit that do work well, but you will notice the difference when viewing with more expensive pieces. you also get a program called Stelleriam included which tells you when and what to look for up in the night sky. Don't make the mistake that i did, which was when i took the lens cover off i didn't know that it came in two pieces. Make sure you take the inner and outer plastic cover off to start viewing and not just the inner cover. Doh!
To conclude. Its worth every penny. Buy it if your just starting out.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Choice, 10 Jan 2011
This telescope was purchased for our grandson. His father found this very straightforward to assemble and calibrate. The whole family, me included, have been wowed by the views of the Moon and Jupiter. Not quite 5 stars for me as the telescope moves a little too easily in its mounting, the slightest knock moves the scope off target. Overall a great purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars She will do, 12 Nov 2010
this is a good scope and does pretty much what you want it to. Focus is very good and the tripod is very strudy indeed.
The only gripe I have is that I could not get the hang of the red dot alignment gizmo.
I fount it easier to look along the top of the scope for the laft and right direction and the side of the scope for the up and down direction. This worked good for me.
Would I buy another? Oh yes but maybe spend a few more quid and get a bigger one.
The moon is incredable and as for Jupiter...well..close near on enough to touch.