5.0 out of 5 stars Review based on 6 months using this scope
Published on 3 Aug. 2012 by ilove1995

3.0 out of 5 stars Good quality starter telescope but has issues
Not quite as easy to see the stars as we thought. Although it wasn't expected to be a plug and play item, it did take a lot of understanding the instructions given before we can get any enjoyment out of it,.
Published 8 months ago by MR D C PALMER

5.0 out of 5 stars Review based on 6 months using this scope, 3 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Celestron 21061 Astromaster 70AZ Refractor Telescope (Camera)
This is a fantastic beginners refractor telescope. I bought this for my sons 8th birthday earlier this year. Unfortunately we just missed out on the clear skies we had in March with the Jupiter Venus conjunction. That said we've had a few clear skies since then to get good use out of the scope where we have seen some fabulous views of the moon, Jupiter, Venus & Saturn.

I would highly recommend an additional purchase of the Celestron eyepiece set to use with this scope. The refractor comes with two eyepieces, a 20mm & 10mm. The 20mm is ok but the 10mm in my opinion is a poor eyepiece. Since purchasing the eyepiece set I don't think I have bothered with either of the two included eyepieces as the set one's are far better quality (in particular the 32mm eyepiece). Getting back to the telescope I was impressed with the build quality of both the tripod and scope. The tripod is an Alt-Azimuth. At first I regretted not getting an equatorial mount for the scope which is recommended over the Alt-Azimuth for astronomy. I'm not so bothered about it now as I find the tripod very easy to set up which means I can get it out of the house and into the garden quickly. My son has also used the scope for spotting on the seafront which an Alt-Azimuth is recommended for so you now have more than one use for the telescope. Perhaps in the future we may purchase an equatorial mount when it's time to upgrade but this suits us perfectly for now.

The scope has a dove tail mount for the tripod, I noticed some reviewers complain about the scope wobbling at the mount which I have also experienced but I got round this by taking my time carefully mounting the scope to the tripod. Once done you don't really need to do this again as I tend to put the telescope away by removing the tray and collapsing the tripod legs rather than removing the scope from the tripod.

With the stock 20mm eyepiece you will see Jupiter and it's four largest moons, the phases of Venus, Saturn with it's rings visible and as expected with most telescopes very clear close up images of the moon. I think this is excellent for what is a sub £100 telescope.

There are of course things not to like at this price range. I've already commented on what I think about the stock eyepieces. My only other gripe is with the diagonal which has a cheap plastic feel to it. It's perfectly functional but I found over time it loosened with the screws not doing a good job of holding it tightly to the back of the scope. I ended up replacing this for a better quality celestron diagonal which cost about £25. Money well spent.

Hopefully you can see an image I have attached of the moon taken with a compact camera mounted to this telescope via a 32mm eyepiece. Definitely recommend upgrading your eyepieces, that said at less than £100 this is the scope to get and perfect for starting out in Astronomy.

Update - 19-Sep-2012 :-

Just like to add that I recently purchased a Telrad red dot finder to use with this telescope which I'm very glad I did as it helped me locate the Andromeda Galaxy last night! Seeing conditions were as good as they get with no moon but still some light pollution what with living 35 miles outside of London and near an airport. People who say that this scope is limited to just solar objects are wrong! You can use this for viewing Deep Sky Objects (DSO) as well. Ok Andromeda was just a faint grey smudge but I still managed to locate it with this telescope using the stock 20mm eyepiece. Simply amazing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Telescope, 11 Jan. 2010
S. L. Muscat (Malta, Europe) - See all my reviews
This is a great "first" telescope
Purchased for our two boys (aged 12 & 7) they both enjoyed using it for terrestrial viewing as well as night sky viewing
Its very easy to assemble and use and also light and pratical to carry or move around

4.0 out of 5 stars Celestron Astromaster 70AZ Telescope, 16 Jan. 2011
F. Evans - See all my reviews
Length:: 3:52 Mins

A 3 minute video quickly reviewing the Celestron Astromaster 70AZ Telescope. Please bare in mind that some features are recommended extras for enthusiasts only. All information is from personel experience but may contain some degree of personnel opinion. Please rate how help-full you found this video. Also leave any comments you find relevant to assist potential customers and for the improvement of future reviews. Celestron Astromaster 70AZ Telescope Cost of item at time of review - Under £80.00.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent first telescope, poor mount, 21 Jun. 2009
Jamie N (Plymouth, UK) - See all my reviews
This is an excellent first telescope and great value for money.

It is very lightweight, and the optics are superb, giving sharp, clear views of the planets. The tripod is high quality, robust, lightweight and stable.

It does have one very annoying problem however. As mentioned by one of the other reviewers, the vertical mount slips slightly even after the clutch has been tightened. This makes it very difficult to keep a night-sky object in the field of view, forcing you to compensate by moving the object OUT of view before tightening, and then hoping the object drops back into view! This is just about tolerable when using the 20mm eyepiece, but becomes almost impossible when using the supplied 10mm higher magnification eyepiece.

This is a very frustrating 'feature' of this product - otherwise I would've given it a 5* rating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Telescope!, 29 Dec. 2009
H. Ramchandani "SneezingRabbit" (Plymouth, England) - See all my reviews
Just got this product as a Christmas present and I love it! So far I've looked at Jupiter and the Moon. You can clearly see several of Jupiter's moons as well as a fair amount of detail on the planet itself. Looking at the Moon was great, I saw so much detail. I'd recommend getting a moon filter to see it with a better contrast. The tripod it came with is very strong and had no problems whatsoever. The people in the other reviews complaining about the telescope slipping slightly are wrong. It does not move if you tighten it firmly. With a price like this I got a lot more than I expected :D

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent first telescope, 3 Oct. 2010
philip (salisbury, wiltshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
A super little telescope! Well-built with two good eyepieces and a good, stable tripod. Gives good general views of the moon, star clusters and bright nebulae. Shows Jupiter's major cloud belts and the satellites. An ideal first telescope for the budding astronomer. Excellent value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Celestron Astromaster 70AZ Telescope, 11 May 2009
Mr. Joel M. Cox (Cwmbran, Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
Celestron Astromaster 70AZ Telescope

Placed the order and recieved it the next day so really impressed with that. I am just getting into astronomy and really love it, you can stare at the moon for hours as its in great detail, also found saturn, that was amazing you could even see the rings. Also the spotter on the side is very helpful especially at night as its even got a mini light on there. Took it out in the day too and had no prblems viewing things mile and miles away.
The design of the scope is good its lightweight and even with the tripod its still lightweight, the scope is quite long though thats the only downfall on this product but in all honesty this is easily the best money i have spent this year!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very easy to use telescope, 7 Mar. 2009
Very easy to use and set up. SOftware for night sky viewing was a bit complex to start with but once you play with it found it remarkable to use with telescope and to print off star maps for viewing that night. Very good product and incredibly good value for money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good introductory scope but awful mount, 1 Mar. 2014
As far as introductory scopes go, this is exceptionally good for the price. You can see a fair amount with it such as pleiades (a beautiful cluster of stars with a faint cloud), and the craters and dents of the moon (you will need to purchase a moon filter as the moon is very bright). You can also see jupiter and if you strain your eyes hard enough you can JUST about make out the very faint stripes.

The greatest problem I have had with the scope is the mount. It does not allow for precision scanning of the sky and you have to pull/push the telescope itself into position. Also, once it is in position, it does not stay there and moves - this makes it hard to look at an object for a while or to take pictures (you may need to purchase additional kits to take pictures, i got a kit for my nikkon camera). But lets be honest here, for the price, the makers have to cut corners on something and in this instance, the mount lost out. You can buy different mounts which allow for much more precision as they have twisty knobs which tilt the scope in minute directions and hold it there.

I've had great fun learning with this telescope over the last few months, and i am now upgrading to a skywatcher one (with a better mount!). If you are a beginner, don't know if astronomy is for you and don't want to spend ridiculous amounts of money then this could be the scope for you. If you are hoping to see massive cloudy nebulas and great details of planets (i.e all the lines and the great red spot of jupiter) then avoid this scope and invest in something more expensive. Bear in mind that the multicoloured nebulas you see in magazines are the result of thousands of photos stacked upon each other, with coloured filters and hours of work - you wont see these sorts of images with your eyes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Celestron 21061 Astromaster70AZ Refractor Telescope, 14 Feb. 2014
I bought both the 50AZ and 70AZ and they are worlds apart! The 70AZ has a very useable tripod and the Eyepieces are of good enough quality for starters. Obviously using more expensive/better quality eyepieces will improve performance. my only gripe with the telescope i recieved was some of the polystyrene packaging(a few specks) had got inside the tube either during packing or delivery. i shook them out without much dificulty.

Performance wise the telescope is good, the red dot finder is reasonably easy to set up, but when looking at objects overhead you have to get right under it which needs some contortions at times. i would recommend this scope to starters, it's light weight and reasonable construction make it worth the £65.00 spent. The 50AZ was £40 cheaper but absolutely useless, i wrote a review about it, but in summary i was deeply saddened by celestrons decision to let the 50AZ be marketed under their name. especially as their other products of 60mm and upwards are all good budget kit.

Dont believe all you may read on other sites telling you that you need a big reflector telescope to see anything. these long focal length refractors are virtually CA free (chromatic aberation) and give good views for beginners. the whole myth of poor optics on small refractors comes from cheap telescopes like the 50AZ and other toyshop telescopes.