5.0 out of 5 stars Review based on 6 months using this scope
Published on 3 Aug. 2012 by ilove1995

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy for the beginner
I am a complete beginner and found this telescope easy to put together and to use. It was very reasonably priced compared to others in the same range area. I cannot comment on its technical side very much but can say that its opened up the heavens to me and I'm sure it won't be long before I'll be adding to it with further accessories.
Published on 15 Dec. 2010 by Linja

5.0 out of 5 stars Review based on 6 months using this scope, 3 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Celestron 21061 Astromaster 70AZ Refractor Telescope (Camera)
This is a fantastic beginners refractor telescope. I bought this for my sons 8th birthday earlier this year. Unfortunately we just missed out on the clear skies we had in March with the Jupiter Venus conjunction. That said we've had a few clear skies since then to get good use out of the scope where we have seen some fabulous views of the moon, Jupiter, Venus & Saturn.

I would highly recommend an additional purchase of the Celestron eyepiece set to use with this scope. The refractor comes with two eyepieces, a 20mm & 10mm. The 20mm is ok but the 10mm in my opinion is a poor eyepiece. Since purchasing the eyepiece set I don't think I have bothered with either of the two included eyepieces as the set one's are far better quality (in particular the 32mm eyepiece). Getting back to the telescope I was impressed with the build quality of both the tripod and scope. The tripod is an Alt-Azimuth. At first I regretted not getting an equatorial mount for the scope which is recommended over the Alt-Azimuth for astronomy. I'm not so bothered about it now as I find the tripod very easy to set up which means I can get it out of the house and into the garden quickly. My son has also used the scope for spotting on the seafront which an Alt-Azimuth is recommended for so you now have more than one use for the telescope. Perhaps in the future we may purchase an equatorial mount when it's time to upgrade but this suits us perfectly for now.

The scope has a dove tail mount for the tripod, I noticed some reviewers complain about the scope wobbling at the mount which I have also experienced but I got round this by taking my time carefully mounting the scope to the tripod. Once done you don't really need to do this again as I tend to put the telescope away by removing the tray and collapsing the tripod legs rather than removing the scope from the tripod.

With the stock 20mm eyepiece you will see Jupiter and it's four largest moons, the phases of Venus, Saturn with it's rings visible and as expected with most telescopes very clear close up images of the moon. I think this is excellent for what is a sub £100 telescope.

There are of course things not to like at this price range. I've already commented on what I think about the stock eyepieces. My only other gripe is with the diagonal which has a cheap plastic feel to it. It's perfectly functional but I found over time it loosened with the screws not doing a good job of holding it tightly to the back of the scope. I ended up replacing this for a better quality celestron diagonal which cost about £25. Money well spent.

Hopefully you can see an image I have attached of the moon taken with a compact camera mounted to this telescope via a 32mm eyepiece. Definitely recommend upgrading your eyepieces, that said at less than £100 this is the scope to get and perfect for starting out in Astronomy.

Update - 19-Sep-2012 :-

Just like to add that I recently purchased a Telrad red dot finder to use with this telescope which I'm very glad I did as it helped me locate the Andromeda Galaxy last night! Seeing conditions were as good as they get with no moon but still some light pollution what with living 35 miles outside of London and near an airport. People who say that this scope is limited to just solar objects are wrong! You can use this for viewing Deep Sky Objects (DSO) as well. Ok Andromeda was just a faint grey smudge but I still managed to locate it with this telescope using the stock 20mm eyepiece. Simply amazing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Telescope, 11 Jan. 2010
S. L. Muscat (Malta, Europe) - See all my reviews
This is a great "first" telescope
Purchased for our two boys (aged 12 & 7) they both enjoyed using it for terrestrial viewing as well as night sky viewing
Its very easy to assemble and use and also light and pratical to carry or move around

4.0 out of 5 stars Celestron Astromaster 70AZ Telescope, 16 Jan. 2011
F. Evans - See all my reviews
Length:: 3:52 Mins

A 3 minute video quickly reviewing the Celestron Astromaster 70AZ Telescope. Please bare in mind that some features are recommended extras for enthusiasts only. All information is from personel experience but may contain some degree of personnel opinion. Please rate how help-full you found this video. Also leave any comments you find relevant to assist potential customers and for the improvement of future reviews. Celestron Astromaster 70AZ Telescope Cost of item at time of review - Under £80.00.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent first telescope, poor mount, 21 Jun. 2009
Jamie N (Plymouth, UK) - See all my reviews
This is an excellent first telescope and great value for money.

It is very lightweight, and the optics are superb, giving sharp, clear views of the planets. The tripod is high quality, robust, lightweight and stable.

It does have one very annoying problem however. As mentioned by one of the other reviewers, the vertical mount slips slightly even after the clutch has been tightened. This makes it very difficult to keep a night-sky object in the field of view, forcing you to compensate by moving the object OUT of view before tightening, and then hoping the object drops back into view! This is just about tolerable when using the 20mm eyepiece, but becomes almost impossible when using the supplied 10mm higher magnification eyepiece.

This is a very frustrating 'feature' of this product - otherwise I would've given it a 5* rating.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent first telescope, 3 Oct. 2010
philip (salisbury, wiltshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
A super little telescope! Well-built with two good eyepieces and a good, stable tripod. Gives good general views of the moon, star clusters and bright nebulae. Shows Jupiter's major cloud belts and the satellites. An ideal first telescope for the budding astronomer. Excellent value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Telescope!, 29 Dec. 2009
H. Ramchandani "SneezingRabbit" (Plymouth, England) - See all my reviews
Just got this product as a Christmas present and I love it! So far I've looked at Jupiter and the Moon. You can clearly see several of Jupiter's moons as well as a fair amount of detail on the planet itself. Looking at the Moon was great, I saw so much detail. I'd recommend getting a moon filter to see it with a better contrast. The tripod it came with is very strong and had no problems whatsoever. The people in the other reviews complaining about the telescope slipping slightly are wrong. It does not move if you tighten it firmly. With a price like this I got a lot more than I expected :D

5.0 out of 5 stars Celestron Astromaster 70AZ Telescope, 11 May 2009
Mr. Joel M. Cox (Cwmbran, Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
Celestron Astromaster 70AZ Telescope

Placed the order and recieved it the next day so really impressed with that. I am just getting into astronomy and really love it, you can stare at the moon for hours as its in great detail, also found saturn, that was amazing you could even see the rings. Also the spotter on the side is very helpful especially at night as its even got a mini light on there. Took it out in the day too and had no prblems viewing things mile and miles away.
The design of the scope is good its lightweight and even with the tripod its still lightweight, the scope is quite long though thats the only downfall on this product but in all honesty this is easily the best money i have spent this year!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very easy to use telescope, 7 Mar. 2009
Very easy to use and set up. SOftware for night sky viewing was a bit complex to start with but once you play with it found it remarkable to use with telescope and to print off star maps for viewing that night. Very good product and incredibly good value for money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great starter scope, 17 Jan. 2013
I am a total beginner and got this for my birthday a few months along with the moon filter. I have seen some great images of the moon and craters and also had good images of sirius and jupiter despite a fair bit of light pollution in my area. One point for total beginners - dont expect to see everything you want straight away - you need a clear night and the stars/planets need to be in the right position - i have been waiting months to see saturn but not managed it yet as it never seems to be around when the conditions are right!

The scope itself is light, the stand is a little heavier and can be a bit awkward to move around, but once set us it seems stable. The images of planets with the provided lenses arent huge - jupiter is just a small pinhead but i have managed to point my digital camera down the lens and take a photo, then zoom in on the PC and you can see much more detail. You have to be very careful at the higher magnifications, any tiny wobble distorts the image. I am thinking of investing in a universal camera mount to help with photography.

The main problem I have is similar to other reviewers - the vertical lock seems to slip - you can tighten it as much as you like but the image which you have spent so long centering then slides a bit and often goes out of view. Very frustrating - they should make a lock which clicks into place when it is fully tightened. I generally line the object up, tighten it as much as possible then if it has slipped out of view very carefully nudge the legs of the tripod a fraction of a mm forward or back until the object comes back into view. A bit fiddly and requires a really steady hand.

It is also difficult to view objects that are high in the sky, jupiter is really high at the moment and even with the tripod fully extended you end up virtually laying on the floor to get the right angle!

Overall I think this is great value for money, and meets my needs perfectly but i think if you are going to be serious about studying the skies then you might want to invest a bit more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding!, 3 Jan. 2012
Well I bought this telescope as a "Newbie" and had next to no experience with a telescope. This came extremely quickly and was incredibly easy to set up, I had no trouble. So the first night I took it out wasn't very clear meaning all I could see clearly was the Moon (the cloud's kept getting in the way -.-) and all I can say is oh my god! the detail achieved with this telescope for this price was amazing! I could clearly see the moon and its craters (but I would suggest buying a moon filter because it can as said in other reviews, hurt your eyes) So I took it out again tonight, where both the moon and Jupiter were out and I could see both perfectly. This telescope is extremely worth its money so for beginners I would recommend buying this! I've also noticed people saying that they have been printing out star maps, might I suggest (assuming I'm allowed too) is that you download a programme called "Stellarium" it's basically a star map but instead of having to print it out it can be on your laptop and or Smartphone :)