5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use Camcorder

Published on 6 April 2007 by Mr. Malcolm D. Quinn

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use Camcorder, 23 Jun 2007
P. Fortune (Sussex, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony DCR-DVD306 Handycam DVD Camcorder (Electronics)
I have owned a Camcorder for the past 10 years and decided it was time to upgrade to a new model / type to take advantage of the new smaller units now available. Before deciding what type of Camcorder to buy ( Tape / DVD / Hard Drive ) I decided to use the Amazon site for feedback and re search. I finally decided to buy the Sony DCR-DVD306 Handycam DVD Camcorder. I have now owned the Camcorder for 1 month and have been pleased with the all round performance. The camcorder is easy to operate, small and light to carry and produces good results in both good and low light conditions. The quality of still pictures is not particularly great if taken in 'zoom' mode. I was concerned over comments about the controls being difficult to operate, I have not found any difficulty, I have also found transfering the recordings by either PC or through the TV fairly straight forward although it took me some time to set up the transfer the first time.

The Camcorder is not supplied with a very powerfull battery or a seperate charger, these are available from Sony after registration at a 25% discount, you will need a more powerfull battery if not a fast charger, accessories are a bit pricy even after the discount !

Overall I am pleased with the product, functions, quality and performance.

5.0 out of 5 stars HandyDandyCam, 3 May 2007
This review is from: Sony DCR-DVD306 Handycam DVD Camcorder (Electronics)
I'm not sure what the other review is on about, as the whole point of having a mini dvd type of handycam is so that you just put the disc in the pc drive and hey presto watch, edit and do what you like. Haven't even used the usb link.

Great picture quality, so easy to use lightweight etc. Only downside is (and this seems to be a common thing these days) that there is no case! However there is a special offer through Sony to get a free case and spare battery until end of June.

Thoroughly recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars Sony DVD306E review., 22 May 2007
Team ICDT (Solihull, England.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony DCR-DVD306 Handycam DVD Camcorder (Electronics)
This is my first DVD camcorder replacing my old Canon MV400i and I have found it a pleasure to use. It is copmpact in your hand and the touch screen is a great feature. The picture and sound quality are excellent and conncecting to my computer was a doodle whether it was via the supplied USB cable or simply inserting the 8cm DVD.

4.0 out of 5 stars Camera is excellent, 4 Jan 2008
Andrew Murray "strobe97" (Cumbria, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony DCR-DVD306 Handycam DVD Camcorder (Electronics)
I bought this camera after my old Sony DVD camera was stolen at Heathrow when my baggage went missing for 3 days. I eventually got the smashed baggage returned sans camera. Moral: always carry cameras in your hand luggage.

This camera is lighter than my old one but has an enhanced set of features including the addition of a wonderful touch screen interface, which I really like. It does not take still photos to disk; you need to plug in a memory card to take stills. My old camera allowed stills to be taken directly to disk. This is no concern to me as I have a digital camera for stills and I also use Corel Ulead VideoStudio 11 plus that allows stills to be created from any frame of video footage, a nice feature. The camera takes good quality pictures; supports wide screen and dolby 5.1 surround sound. The battery could be punchier so I will probably purchase an additional battery in due course, something I also did with my old camera.

Why 4 stars? I have alluded to this in a sense by my mention of the VideoStudio software that I purchased separately from the camera; this is because the software that comes with this camera is dire. It works in a very limited sort of way but that is all it does. The editing features are virtually non existent except for simple video trimming. This is in contrast to my old camera which was provided with ImageMixer video editing software, which was not bad, though not in the same league as VideoStudio 11 plus.

This camera is excellent, nice and light and easy to handle with a very intuitive touch screen interface to control it but get proper video editing software, such as VideoStudio to get the most out of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sony DCR-DVD306E, 16 July 2012
This review is from: Sony DCR-DVD306 Handycam DVD Camcorder (Electronics)
I am a proud owner of this Camcorder since 2006. Mis handling damaged the Camcorder and the repairs quoted was too much for my pocket so I had to buy the same model as I have too many software ( DVD discs ).
This camcorder is very user friendly especially still photography with a flip of a switch.
I am really happy with this Video Camera...

2.0 out of 5 stars Software issues, 6 April 2007
This review is from: Sony DCR-DVD306 Handycam DVD Camcorder (Electronics)
Camcorder is great, easy to use and the quality is great. However, trying to get the recording from camcorder to my pc is proving to be a real issue. I've spent 4 hours trying to get the camcorder to 'talk' to my pc. I'm using Vista and the software is Vista compatible, but just hangs and doesn't recognise the camcorder. Now thinking about sending the whole thing back and going for a Canon, as I know this works. The Sony only has USB 2.0 and others have DV output. I'm not really a techie, so thought this should be 'plug and play' .... wrong!

Should have learn't that Sony aren't the best at tying up with others systems ... buyer beware.

Sony DCR-DVD306 Handycam DVD Camcorder