‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Not the best for adults but a huge hit with small children, 21 May 2007
Marshall Lord (Whitehaven, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Barbie Fairytopia: Magic of the Rainbow [DVD] (DVD)
Compared with some of the other Barbie videos I was slightly disappointed with this, but the target audience certainly were not. In the week we rented this film I have lost count of the number of times my children have watched it.

For reference, this is the third in the "Fairytopia" sequence which currently consists of:

Fairytopia
Mermaidia
Magic of the Rainbow.

Before we first rented one of the Barbie videos for my daughter, I was expecting them to be trite, over-commercialised, over-sugary and over here. In general, however, I have been pleasantly surprised.

Yes, they do have a lot of commercial spin-offs and a high saccharine count, but the quality of the Barbie films we have subsequently bought or rented, including all three "Fairytopia" films, was significantly higher than I had originally expected before watching any of them. These films have not just kept my children engrossed for hours - including my son as well as my daughter - but introduced them to some beautiful stories. Several - but sadly not this one - also introduced my children to some truly wonderful music.

On more than one occasion I have been listening to a CD of a classic such as Beethoven's pastoral symphony, or "The Queen of the Night's aria" from Mozart's opera "The Magic Flute", and my five year old daughter has recognised and expressed appreciation of the music, and correctly remembered which Barbie film had used it. ("Magic of Pegasus" and "Mermaidia" respectively.)

So I was very disappointed that "Fairytopia - the magic of the rainbow" did not continue this tradition: no great classics this time, the musical score is just competently written filler.

The film continues the story of a Barbie as the good fairy Elena, and her "puffball" companion, who seek to protect the land of the fairies (Fairytopia) from being taken over and ruined by the evil Laverna.

This time the "puffball" comic relief character gets a romance of his own.

Those people who enjoy criticising the way Mattel operate the Barbie franchise will not have much difficulty finding things in this production to sneer at. If you, or more importantly your kids, are allergic to an excess of twee sweetness, then this film and the Barbie videos generally may not be for them.

And the female characters are all on the thin side of plausibility: I'm not worried that watching this is going to give my own daughter anorexia as she likes food too much and has a good sense of the difference between fantasy and reality. And after all, the characters in this story are fairies, complete with wings! However, if you are worried that your children may be forming an unrealistic idea about how thin a healthy female body shape is, it is not quite impossible that this film may contribute to it.

But on the plus side: it is beautifully made, it will hold the attention of most small children for long enough for the typical exhausted parent to clear the mess they have made in several rooms of the house or collapse for an hour's rest after doing so. And there are still a few more sophisticated jokes thrown in, so you won't be completely bored to death if you decide to watch it with your offspring.

Overall this is not, in my opinion, quite as good as some of the previous Barbie videos, including the first two Fairytopia" titles, but anything which can hold my children's attention as well as this film did clearly has something going for it.

Having rented the title to try it out, I then bought it for my children, as part of the triple DVD set with all three "Fairytopia" titles.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bargain, 3 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Barbie Fairytopia: Magic of the Rainbow [DVD] (DVD)
As always with Barbie films - this older film is great. My daughters love Barbie and the Film is loved by all.

4.0 out of 5 stars peace and quite, 31 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Barbie Fairytopia: Magic of the Rainbow [DVD] (DVD)
Brought for my bosses little daughter who is into all things sugar-pink and barbie... so we all had an chill out while i brought her this one and 2 others. bliss, must admit i did watch with her and the quality was very good and she was quite too, another bliss....

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, 29 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Barbie Fairytopia: Magic of the Rainbow [DVD] (DVD)
Was bought for kids to watch as they love animated Barbie films.
Was really good to watch with family and to have to watch whenever we choose is good to.
Have recommended to friends and family

4.0 out of 5 stars barbie fairytopia magic of the rainbow dvd, 14 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Barbie Fairytopia: Magic of the Rainbow [DVD] (DVD)
Barbie Fairytopia - Magic Of The Rainbow [DVD] me and my children really enjoyed watching this magical film lots of laughs and tears agreat all round family film

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic, 4 July 2013
This review is from: Barbie Fairytopia: Magic of the Rainbow [DVD] (DVD)
Great movie, kids love it.it was delivered quickly before I expected and in good condition.
my daughter loves Barbie films there were lots to choose from.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved by 5 year Old, 13 May 2014
This review is from: Barbie Fairytopia: Magic of the Rainbow [DVD] (DVD)
The dvd came within the stated dates. The packaging was great no damage and the dvd no scratches, good as new! Could easily have given as a present.

5.0 out of 5 stars super, 14 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Barbie Fairytopia: Magic of the Rainbow [DVD] (DVD)
very easy and enjoyable to watch. my kids love barbie and we have most of them. i can sit with them whilst they watch it without getting bored.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Story, 10 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Barbie Fairytopia: Magic of the Rainbow [DVD] (DVD)
My daughter loves Barbie and has managed to collect all the DVD's and wasn't disappointed with this one, great value for money and a good story

4.0 out of 5 stars Points Reward Pressie for Daughter, 27 July 2013
This review is from: Barbie Fairytopia: Magic of the Rainbow [DVD] (DVD)
This was bought for my daughter as a reward gift for getting so many points on her reward chart, she absolutely loves the Barbie series.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›