on 30 October 2009
I won't comment on the quality of the films themselves - most people interested in this DVD will know just what a good detective series Ironside was - but the presentation of this DVD set is really good too. The DVDs are well packaged in four separate DVD cases and it looks like a lot of care has gone into it.
It was weird watching Raymond Burr in a role other than Perry Mason, but he cleans up good as Chief Ironside. I was saddened by the accident that left Chief Ironside paralyzed after the pilot. However his grit, determination and acceptance of the situation and his ability to find new ways to adapt to his situation was very inspiring. There were several interesting episodes but it was the character development, watching them mature through experiences especially his young assistant Mark, team work and loyalty that struck me as the indelible lessons of this series. I look forward to the release of the rest of the series on DVD.
on 8 July 2007
Excellent box set.

Only criticism it state's the pilot film was shown March 1966, it was in fact March 1967.

Other than that I loved the series then and I still love watching it now and for me it still holds up today with a nice slice of 60's culture, an unusual hero and good supporting cast of actors who went on to greater projects.

Classic sixties american cars, hippy scene of San Francisco and good plots, you don't need graphic sex & violence to enjoy watching a crime caper.

It may not be the usual shoot em up series or be ground breaking for gritty realism that people expect today, but there are still undertones in this series which leaves it up to your imagination rather than being blatant and the same things were being said & done in the 60's as they are now.

All in all.

Good.

Can't wait for s Season 2.
on 4 October 2010
This is television at its best and it is now available in this compact case providing hours and hours of quality viewing.
I had never seen the very first episode of Ironside before, so it was enlightening to find out why Ironside was in a wheelchair and also why his wheelchair was covered in a green fabric.

If you like Perry Mason you will probably like Ironside as well, although, this time Raymond Burr works within the policeforce and has lost some of his good manners, the essence of the man is the same. I could not help comparing Ironside with House, played by Hugh Laurie, they are both grumpy but still liked and respected by their teams.

I hope there will be more series of Ironside and Perry Mason available in this handy format.
on 20 October 2009
I really enjoyed this dvd! The plots are excellent Lovely touches of nostalgia! I remember watching these when I was younger - I am still trying to figure out what is written on the cushion on his chair!!!
on 11 March 2009
Many old TV series date quickly. But Ironside is exception. I bought this last year and enjoy watshing so many times since. It is fun to see how the chief, ironside solve the cases. But there is more to it. I like to see the warm relationship of those 4 good people, Ironside, Mark, Eve and Ed.They often made me stop and think. And I like that. I am so looking forward to the Volume 2 released in UK and the rest of the whole series soon. By the way, I could not wait so that I bought the region free whole 8 season "Ironside". It was a mistake. The picture and sound were both bad. I do not recommend it.
on 27 August 2015
I remember watching Ironside when I was younger with my mum and most recently in the past few years when it was shown on one of the terrestrial channels, it's a good telly programme and the older type shows are sometimes more enjoyable than the rubbish shown nowadays, so when having seen this while it is on a special offer I've bought it for my mum as one of her Christmas presents, so I know it will be a nice surprise when she opens it. The dvd has 28 episodes and the feature length pilot, following Chief Inspector Ironside and his team as they go in pursuit of criminals, each episode revolves around different cases, it's great value for the price and it was packaged well when delivered and arrived day after dispatch.
on 4 September 2014
IRONSIDE THE CHIEF OF DETECTIVES,A GREAT T V SERIES FROM THE 60S AND 70S,AND IN SEASON ONE ATTRACTING MANY SPECIAL GUEST STARS INCLUDING HARRISON FORD,BRUCE LEE,SUSAN SAINT JAMES AMONG MANY OTHERS.
on 27 February 2012
Raymond Burr is an actor worth watching repeatedly and I am glad to find these dvds are available in this country. It is an irresistible purchase.
on 5 June 2012
Absolutely BRILLIANT! Haven't seen Ironside since I was about Twelve years old, slightly dated but very Entertaining, Period Fashion and CARS! HEAPS of NOT Politically Correct Comments, I am sure Clint Eastwoods DIRTY HARRY Plagiarsed this series also set in San Fransico.