5.0 out of 5 stars The film that spawned a shed-load of games
This is one of those films that gets panned by the critics but draw me to watch them over and over. Some find it a bit shallow and very "Hollywood". If however you are into the cruising/modifying/street racing scene you will love this.
The basic premise is this:
Published on 20 Sep 2005 by G. Lewis

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun enough
This is a story about car remod fanatics, set in a very well shot Los Angeles. The premise of the film is essentially silly, but it's entertaining enough, with some good action sequences and excellent cinematography.

The characters are more than a little one dimensional, though, and you don't need to be a film student to spot the massive homoerotic subtext here...
Published on 3 Sep 2011 by Los Angeleno

5.0 out of 5 stars The film that spawned a shed-load of games, 20 Sep 2005
G. Lewis "mgjjl" (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
The basic premise is this:
A few articulated lorries carrying high-value goods have been knocked off by the same gang, driving black honda civic's with green neon lights underneath. The FBI suspect that the culprits are involved in the street-racing scene and have a name in mind.
Brian O'Connor (Paul Walker) is chosen to become a street racer and mingle with Dominic Torreto's (Vin Diesel) gang to find out who is behind the hijackings.
Brian begins to discover the true depth and integrity to Dominic's gang, leaving him to question who's side he should be on.
OK, its no Thespian play, the script won't win any awards, but that really isn't the point. Its a banquet of big stunts, petrol and testosterone. Plenty of fast cars and fast driving. One of my favourites.

4.0 out of 5 stars Car racing at it's best., 10 Feb 2006
Blue hunter (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This is a good film that has spawned many others like it that arn't as good.This is the original and best.
The acting is good for alot of new actors and actresses and it has a good storyline,but the stars of the show are the cars.Brilliant racing scenes and the camera work is fantastic with a few new special camera views thrown in.
All-in-all it's a good film that has a story to it as well as fast cars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Start, 2 Dec 2013
This film is a great start to the Fast and the Furious series. It is electric, dramatic and full of thrills. The characters are interesting with various depths to them and I love watching the relationships form between the characters.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does Exactly What It Says On The Tin, 25 July 2003
Testerone-fuelled fun, The Fast and The Furious shares a lot with it's early 90's predecessor - dumb cop drawn into a sexy world of crime and adrenaline, mysterious, charismatic leader taking said cop under his wing, decoy criminal (rival surfers in Break, Rick Yune's remarkably named Johnny Tran (Chan apparently being far too stereotypical a name) in Furious) - the list goes on. But don't let it be said that this is a complaint.
As a testerone-fuelled thrill stacked with amusing dumb one-liners, Point Break was a high point in the genre, as is The Fast and The Furious. The action sequences break new ground in the depiction of speed on film, Cohen's camera crash zooming and flash cutting so fast that the he literally creates a blur. As such, the action set-pieces are undoubtably the high point, stacked with everything the red-blooded Millenium man could want - fast cars, faster girls, and men we envy for being so damn cool it hurts (mainly for the fact that they're surrounded by the first two). Hell, its even got a cameo for pint-sized rapper Ja Rule.
It does fall a little in the acting stakes - but no-one was really expecting Oscar-calibre work here. Walker is amiable enough as Keanu 2000, and Brewster puts her dusky charms to good use in what is pretty much a nothing role. Mention should be given to the impossibly square-jawed Rick Yune as Tran, who comes close to being noticeable on screen against Diesel, but in the end is overmatched. Undoubtedly the star of the film, (in fact, it comes close to stalling whenever he's not on screen) Diesel is a hulking presence, full of greasepaint cool and barely restrained violence.
Either way, The Fast and The Furious remains one of the best car films around, absolutely certain to make you race the next man fool enough to pull level with you at the traffic lights. One for the lads and a Friday night, and none the worse for it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it says on the tin, 9 Mar 2002
Seeing the trailer of this movie, or simply looking at the front cover, most will automatically "judge the book by it's cover" and assume this movie is about cars, stunts, and lots of good looking people listening to songs by Limp Bizkit. They would be right. Attention: If you have no interest in cars, no interest in stunts over storyline & no interest in the youth culture of today, THIS FILM IS NOT FOR YOU.
I was one of the people who did judge it as just what it is, and I've never been particularly interested in cars or street racing, but I decided to give it a shot. I have to say I was blown away by this film. The main thing I noticed is that from the very start of the film, where the world known Universal music & logo plays but then runs straight into the intro music (I forget who the band is), the film keeps a fast pace, and does not stop without extremely good reason (a few times in the film to set a love scene between two of the characters for example). It is also obvious that music is essential throughout the film to keep up the atmosphere & pace. Indeed everything about the film really is fast & furious. The storyline isn't a groundbreaker, it sets the scene of an undercover cop (Brian Spilner/Paul Walker) attempting to find out who has been hijacking transport lorries. He begins to get a feel for the like of street racing, and makes some new friends, whom he suspects are behind the hijackings. The other main character (Domonic Toretto/Vin Diesel) begins to take him under his wing & has no idea that he is an undercover cop. To make things more interesting, Brian also forms a relationship with Domonic's sister. What I've just given away wasn't spoiling the plot, there is more to come, but there wasn't much plot to spoil in the first place. However this isn't just a film about cars, stunts, and people moshing to Limp Bizkit. It's a view into the incredible world of street racing, and the culture that surrounds it. All the crowds you see on the streets in the film & at Race Wars for example, are the real thing. The film contains many up & coming actors, and they all have been well cast. Vin Diesel plays a great role as Domonic Toretto, as does Paul Walker as Brian Spilner. Michelle Rodriguez is certainly worth looking for in other films, she doesn't have much of a part in this, but she certainly makes the most of it (expect to see her in the soon to be released Resident Evil film). This is authentic as you will get in a film about street racing, and it's definetely worth a look.
If you have a DVD player, BUY THE DVD VERSION OF THIS FILM. I cannot stress this enough. It is the best visual & sound quality DVD I have ever seen, and there are some good interviews, music videos & featurettes too.
†Venom†

4.0 out of 5 stars The Best Film I Saw 10 Years Before it Was Made, 21 Nov 2012
Pantheon (Boston, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I really loved Point Break back in 1991 and seeing it again was a real treat. The close-knit group of friends executing dangerous robberies while spending their free time engaged in a dangerous hobby, is still as exciting today as it was back then. Add the romance between an undercover cop and a girl linked to the gang and you have a great summer blockbuster.

But wait...it's not Point Break I dropped into the blu-ray play. It's The Fast and the Furious!!!

I never saw TFatF back in 2001. If I'm honest I didn't really like the sound of it and neither of the stars were enough to get me to watch it. However, I was able to pick up the complete blu-ray set at a bargain price; so I thought I'd give it a go....see start of my review.

To be fair, this film isn't an exactly replica (or ripoff) of Point Break - but it's not far off. The main difference is neither Vin Diesel or Paul Walker are as fun to watch or charismatic as Patrick Swayze and Keanu Reeves.
But, I really enjoyed The Fast and the Furious. It was a brainless, exciting, visually stunning popcorn movie. A real summer blockbuster. I'm looking forward to watching the sequels; but also praying they don't rehash the same story another four times.

Having never seen a DVD of the film I can't say if this BD is an improvement...what I can say is that I thought the picture and sound were excellent. There is also a lot of extras.

Definitely worth a watch if you like action films.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fuel injected fun that was much better than expected., 22 May 2012
The Truth "How it is" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
For some reason I've dodged this film since it came out. I'm not sure why but I thought it was going to be awful. I thought it looked cheesy and cheap and (to use an equally cheap car pun) wouldn't be up my street.

But I was wrong. Having just sat through this Bluray I'm starting to regret the times I immediately turned over when it's been on TV, because it was actually quite a fun and novel twist on a tried and tested theme - the undercover cop.

Fast cars, great stunts, turn on, tune in, drop out - as I expected, that's all this film is about. What I didn't expect was the fact that I'd enjoy it do much, as I'm not a petrol head at all.

The cars are vulgar, boy-racer imports and I found it hysterical seeing all 3 and a half foot of Ja Rule trying to drive struggling to peer over the dash (it's worth seeing for that comedy moment alone) and any film with Japanese biker gangs in it, is going to be good.

By now I'm sure everyone knows about this film, so I won't bore you and just give you the facts about the Bluray. The picture quality was excellent and the perfect format to see the shiny chrome engines and brash, colourful cars in all their glory.

The disk was jam-packed with extras too and didn't feel like a straight reproduction of the DVD disc (although it might have been as I don't own that) because there were documentaries on it with info about the fourth Fast & the Furious film in them.

I was going to give this film 4 stars but sitting here writing this, I've changed my mind. This film, just like the criminal crew it depicts, does a job and it does a job well, so for that reason I'm going to give it 5 stars.

I think it's immensely enjoyable to watch if you're in the right mood and puts the peddle to the metal when it comes to action, stunts, nonsense, chicks, bro-mances, car chases and all that other good stuff that makes a great beer and pizza movie.

The Truth "How it is" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

4.0 out of 5 stars Action junkies and thrill seekers apply here., 25 Oct 2011
Spike Owen "John Rouse Merriott Chard" (Birmingham, England.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
As night falls on the streets of L.A., souped up cars, driven by souped up kids, illegally race at incredible speeds. That alone is more than enough to keep the cops busy, but it appears that a number of robberies on moving trucks could well be the work of the speed racers. Time for someone to go undercover, someone with a flair for speed and daring do heroics.........

The title says it all actually, from the very first sequence to the pulsating ripper of a finale, this film really is fast and furious. Dumb in substance and morally dubious in to the bargain, it is however one of the finest exponents of the action/thriller/crime genre of modern times. Owing certain debts to Point Break and Stone Cold, director Rob Cohen has crafted a technically adroit picture which is an assault on the eyes and the ears. Cars tear around, crash bang and wallop, thru the camera, under trucks, in front of speeding trains and on it goes, with no real let up till the end credits roll. There is a plot, it's thin, but it does have a story from which to race around. The cast flex their muscles and pout respectively, with a little bit of eye candy for either sexes to admire from their comfy chairs. Boasting great stunt work mixed in with very capable CGI, The Fast And The Furious deserves much better regard than it currently has on some internet sites. Why? Because it does what it tells you it will do from the title, and as dumb as it is, it's the best kind of dumb to loose yourself with. 8/10

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, 4 Mar 2007
Richard (Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Fast And The Furious [HD DVD] (HD DVD)
Ok, so the film isnt the most intellectual (I had to look up the spelling of that so I guess I'm not either) but its great ride. However the quality of this film is stunning. Its my first HD-DVD and it looks fantastic, the only image quality I've ever seen that gets near was when I saw Finding Nemo at the Odeon in Leister Square when it was being shown digitally.

Worth buying just to show off your new system. Just need to convince my partner we need a new 46 inch 1080p TV in the front room and I'll be sorted.

The Fast And The Furious [HD DVD]
The Fast And The Furious [HD DVD] by Ericson Core (HD DVD - 2007)
19.99