Format: Audio CD|Change

on 5 April 2007
Blimey! There's no stopping this bloke. He's done it again and come up with a cracking CD packed to the brim with top class songs. There's a very good reason for Tim McGraw's success: he knows a really good song when he hears one and what's more, he knows exactly how to interpret and deliver it to maximum effect. It's a skill he's used to the full on this, his latest album. The first song, `Last Dollar' (by Big Kenny) is about as catchy as they come. As I wandered round HMV, attempting to be distracted by Razorlight and Arcade Fire, I found myself humming `One, two, three, like a bird I sing', even though I didn't particularly want to. It's one of those `feel good' songs which makes this particular middle-aged lady feel impossibly chirpy and jolly, no matter what. The only other songs which have this effect on me are Nelly Furtado's `Like a Bird', Beth Nielsen Chapman's `Happy Girl' and Neil Diamond's `Delirious Love' (I heard this playing unexpectedly in Marks & Spencer the other day and it sent me bopping uncontrollably through the lingerie section). `Last Dollar' is just one of those irresistible songs. The next song on the album could hardly be more of a contrast. `I'm Workin'' (by Lori McKenna and Darrell Scott) is about what most people spend most of their waking lives doing - working. It's surprising how few songwriters feel inspired to write about this subject. The song brilliantly sums up the virtual impossibility of maintaining any sort of relationship while working the night shift. Alcohol also features prominently on this album, in `Whiskey and You' and in `Nothin' to Die for', both of which were co-written by Lee Thomas Miller (perhaps he's trying to tell us something). The latter was co-written with Craig Wiseman, who also helped pen that other McGraw hit, `Live Like You Were Dying'. It's hard to follow a song as unique and outstanding as that, but Mr Wiseman has managed it with `Nothin' to Die for' - a number which the Government should adopt immediately for its next anti-drinking-and-driving campaign. If anything's likely to put you off combining those two things, this song is it. Let's hope people play it loudly in their cars. As far as I'm concerned, both lyrically and musically it's the stand-out track on the CD. Memorable, melodious and it actually means something. `Between the River and me' (Brett and Brad Warren, Brett Beavers) is one of those great `story' songs (about dispatching an abusive husband and step-father) which manages to be both darkly humorous and melodramatic. Tim McGraw has only co-written one song on this CD, `Train #10', but it's so good it's slightly surprising that he doesn't devote more time to writing. The Dancehall Doctors are as polished and professional as ever - the playing on this album is some of the finest you're ever likely to hear. So what are you waiting for - use your last dollar and get hold of a copy.
on 23 July 2007
Not long home from Chicago where I went to see Soul to Soul 2007, Tim McGraw and Faith Hill together in concert. Now I understand why it is the largest grossing concert ever. Apart they are amazing, together they are a formidable combination. This was where I first heard tracks from this album and I deliberately left purchasing it until the concert. Every track evokes such emotion helped along by the pleasant memory of seeing it performed live. Good to hear some good old fashioned country in this album, he never forgets where he came from no matter how much he pushes the envelope when it comes to country music. This album is yet again an ecletic mix of rock, power ballad, soul and everything else done with that unmistakable Tim McGraw country style. If you only buy one album this year, let this be the one. It is a keeper.
Reviewing Tim McGraw albums seems to get harder with every release. The reason for this being that these day's he just never makes a bad album, indeed if this record had been by anyone else i would have rated it as a 5 star record. As it is, 'Let It Go' is a very good Tim McGraw album but not quite as good as say 'Set This Circus Down' hence my appraisal of 4 stars. All the usual ingredients that go to make a Tim Mcgraw album are here once again. Great songwriting, emotional singing, great musicianship and spot on production. For me the best tracks are some of the bittersweet ballads. 'Whiskey And You', 'I'm Workin', and 'Train no 10' are the type of reflective cuts that Tim is so renowned for and so if you liked songs like 'Somebody Up There Must Be Prayin' For Me', 'My Old Friend' or 'Everywhere' you will surely fall in love with these songs too. There are a few surprises on this album however as opener ' Last Dollar (Fly Away)' is a light hearted song that features a kids choir, and 'Suspicions' borders on soul and wouldn't sound out of place on a Simply Red record!

Overall the album has a relaxed feel to it and while the songs are not so playful as on some of Tim's previous albums, if you like Tim McGraw you will enjoy this so buy with confidence.
on 1 July 2007
McGraw's music just goes from strength to strength and the diversity on this album is just breathtaking. Not afraid to take risks, Tim's album traverses everything from country-pop to soul & blues (Suspicions). What I love about music is that his songs tell tales whether in the first or 3rd person. I'm Working is a captivating tale of a cop (I think!) and Between The River & Me is a variaiton on the Dixie Chick's Goodbe Earl, about a son killing his abusive father. Chilling, but catchy. One of the best songs is another duet with Tim's awesome wife - I Need You earnestly pinpoints their love. An astounding cd, and reflective of McGraw's compelling artistry. I travelled from Belfast to see Tim & Faith on their Soul2Soul Tour in Cananda last week (saw them twice in the Air Canada centre), and hearing many of these tracks live! just embedded their power further. I hope that one day Brits will appreciate Tim as much as I do.....this cd a worthwhile first investigation if you want to sampl exactly what this artist is capable of!
on 5 September 2007
Once again an album that had me singing along after the first listen! Great to hear new songs after the previous Greatest Hits.

Can't wait for the next one as have loved all Tim and Faiths work since seeing them on Americas Top 10 in the early 90s. From Indian Outlaw, Down on the Farm to Last Dollar 1992 ish -2007 consistantly fab songs and of course artists.

Only way this could improve is if the record company put the concerts out on DVD for UK Fans. Keep it coming Tim (and Faith) and I'll keep buying.
I first came across the singer Tim McGraw when I was in America back in 1996 when I was there on holiday. I head the local country and western radio channel play a couple of his songs off his latest album. I really enjoyed listening to him so I decided I’d like to get one of his albums.

I now had seven of Tim’s albums:- “Tim McGraw”, (debut album), “Not and Moment too Soon”, “All I want”, “Everywhere”, “Tim McGraw and the dancehall doctors” and “Live like you were dying”.

My parents were in America in 2007 and found out that Tim was due to release another album whilst they were there but it going to be a little while before it was released in the UK. So my parents decided to surprise me. :-)

I love both traditional country and western as well as the up-tempo modern country and western.

I love his voice ad he sings some great country and western songs.

The CD booklet has information on the songs and some still photos.

If you were to ask me do I have a favourite I’d have to say yes. It’s the entire CD I really love listening to all the songs.

Tim has gone from strength to strength with each album he’s released.

I love listening to Tim singing as I find his albums great to relax to as they take the stress of the day away and always makes me feel better. :-)

This is another great album of Tim’s to have and I’m pleased it’s in my collection. :-)
on 9 May 2007
Susan Childs described it exactly; there's no stopping him. I discovered him way back when "A place in the sun" was released and I heard "Please rememeber me" on the CMA awards show which I watched becuase there was nothing much on TV. Glad I did. I have all his albums and the last 3 are among the best. Country has changed these days, McGraw, Brooks etc have seen to that. McGraw is definitely worth a listen. Hopefully with more and more people buying his stuff we might get a concert in England!!
on 25 September 2008
I am probably more of an alt country/Americana fan - I think most of the best songwriting is coming from that genre right now as radio-friendly country gets blander and blander and more pop-like. But you cannot deny that Tim McGraw consistently delivers good quality songs with excellent value for money album, brilliantly produced. There is very little filler here and although he is sounding a little more morose than usual, even the really downbeat songs like 'Between the River and Me' have catchy hooks. 'Suspicions' was the song that first caught my imagination, great tune, great rhythm, great backing. Nowadays there is not one song that I would skip over. The obligatory duet with his wife Faith Hill continues a long series of beautiful love songs and I think this is possibly Faith's best vocal performance to date, a really sultry sound that tells you she really means what she sings.
Although I might hate to admit it, Tim McGraw is probably the most often played artist on my iPod, a testimony to his ongoing consistency and ability to pick out great songs. Superb
on 31 March 2007
In a word, superb. Although would we have expected any diferent anyway. Tims albums, for me just get better, and since he has been able to break the military Nashville trend of following record labels demands of bringing studio artists in to the studio for album work, and bringing the Band in with him in their place much to the objection of the Nashville fat cats community, has injected even more energy and feel to the music.

From the opening track 'Last Dollar (Fly Away)' its just an awesome song with a huge feel-good factor and it just begs to be belted out of your car stereo on a fine sunny day. The album has a nice mix of emotions right through it and it reaches a climax on 'I Need You' where Faith appears with her husband to create another beautifull duet. I really dont think there is a bad track on here, its consistent with the rest of his work, he writes and produces every record in a way which laces each one with the potential 'Hit Factor'.

I'll buy anything McGraw or Hill puts out there to be honest, and im a huge country fan as well, so i have to be carefull i listen with my head as well as my heart, but i think its safe to say that this is yet another huge album from Tim, and its success no doubt will be equally huge, not just because he is the modern day King of Country, but because his music is brilliant. This album is no different, buy it now and dont 'Let It Go'!
on 1 March 2012
Let it go by Tim McGraw is a fantastic CD
good contempary country music by a very fine singing artist
and actor.